Go to previous topic
Go to next topic
Last Post 04 Jun 2015 02:39 PM by  trippinbillies40
Wilmington Starting Line Class--Still have openings?
 14 Replies
Author Messages
icantdrive55

--
13 Apr 2015 12:56 PM

I think I screwed up and posted this in the national forum…meant to post it locally.  Are there still openings for the April 18 Stating Line class at Wilmington?  I looked at the rules for the class and didn't see any special rules or restrictions for convertible chassis.  Correct?

tacti

--
    13 Apr 2015 01:04 PM
    I believe still open.
    http://sccastartingline.com

Therre's no roll cage or hardtop requirement for autocross events. just make sure there's no loose items in the car, decent tires, good brake, etc. You can unload your item at the site, and we can help your car get ready. just find someone at the site and ask for help.

Make sure to bring plenty of water to drink, sun screen, easy to drive shoes (no sandals). more details should be on their page as well.
    icantdrive55

--
    13 Apr 2015 02:13 PM
    Tacti: Thx of the quick reply. So…here's the $100 question, or more realistically the $325 question. The main reason for my interest in the class is to gain some very basic learning as far as car handling goes. Probably not gonna seriously take up auto-xing at this late stage (65 yo). Is this an appropriate class for me, or should I look at other options? Obviously, HPDEs and track days are out for me with a stock vert….

Feedback from those who have taken the class, especially drivers new to auto-x, is appreciated.

btschafer

--
    13 Apr 2015 02:18 PM
    It might be the perfect opportunity for you. Plenty of time in the car, quality instruction, and the focus is exactly on car handling.

And, don't give up on the idea of autocrossing at least occasionally. You're not much older than I am. ;-)
    obielando

--
    13 Apr 2015 02:20 PM

Last year, the class was broken into two sessions (AM and PM, with a 'working' Lunch in between).

The AM session was broken into two pieces: practicing slaloms on one course and understanding turns on the other.  Both of these would be a good base for you, I feel.

The working lunch was to discuss things we had learned so far.

The PM session was used to combine those elements, and would give an introduction into actual autocross.

I think it was something like that - I really enjoyed it (enough to sign up again this year, to hopefully further refine my skills, and feel out the myriad of changes I made to the car over the winter).

trippinbillies40

--
    13 Apr 2015 03:56 PM

I would highly recommend it. You'll definitely have a very good time and will definitely learn plenty about car control!

And you'll definitely change your mind about only autocrossing occasionally ;) 

icantdrive55

--
    13 Apr 2015 04:42 PM
    Damn! You guys are sure in a hurry to get my money out'a my pocket… ;o)

Looks like I'll be keeping an eye on the weather in the hopes the rain will stay away.

Thanks for all the encouragement.
    lightisfast

--
    13 Apr 2015 07:07 PM

Don't worry about starting late in life, you don't have to take the competition aspect seriously, just can have fun driving the car to the limits in a safe environment.  Starting line will teach you some very important fundamentals prior to showing up for a full autox event.  The events can be a bit overwhelming where you are just focused on getting through so this is highly likely.  Its a good deal if you stick with it and go to the optional future events.

And don't worry about the weather.  While standing in rain is never fun, I think the learning potential actually increases quite a bit with the rain.  In lower traction all the things they are trying to teach will be that much more evident.

icantdrive55

--
    13 Apr 2015 09:36 PM
    Rats! Story of my life--a day late and a dollar short. Class is full and wait listed. Kind'a figured that'd be the case.
    lightisfast

--
    13 Apr 2015 10:24 PM
    If you want to do it can always ask...
    http://www.sccastartingline.com/#contact
    tacti

--
    13 Apr 2015 10:56 PM
    And if all else fails, Just sign up to our first point event.
    http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae...t_id=15425

you won't get as much seat time as you would in Starting Line and had to do the corner work, there's always a plenty of people who can help you during the event. If you end up taking this route, get as much ride along as possible with someone who drives similar car to yours, and ask that person to ride with you when you run.
    lycanthrope

--
    13 Apr 2015 11:24 PM
    seriously its worth it to get on the waiting list. failing that like tacti said pe1 is the next day. I'm sure all of us here would be more than happy to help you out.
    icantdrive55

--
    14 Apr 2015 06:27 PM
    All: Thanks for the encouragement. I did go ahead and register and am waitlisted. I sent a msg to the FL folks asking what the maximum class size was--there's 29 registered so far, including me. I'd love to show up for the Sunday event, altho I prolly won't compete. A friend is planning on running his car there and he's offered to let me ride with him.
    icntdrv55

--
    01 Jun 2015 11:49 AM
    Well, a big thanks to Rick Myers and any others behind the scenes who arranged to have a second Finish Line event at the Wilmington location. I missed out on the first one due to an overwhelming response for the class, but I'm registered for the next one on June 13th!!! Excited about learning how to utilize the performance aspects of my car. Now, to lose the first time jitters….. :D
    trippinbillies40

--
    04 Jun 2015 02:39 PM

Awesome!!! See you on the 13th!

---