Go to previous topic
Go to next topic
Last Post 24 Jun 2013 06:38 PM by  Sebastian R.
Newbie: Bigger Brakes STS or STX?
 12 Replies
Author Messages
LoserCard

--
13 Jun 2013 06:02 PM

I have been tearing away at the rulebook all night and composed a list of modifications eligible for my car (240SX) however I have come to a couple things that need some experienced/professional opinions.

First off, I am going off the 2013 Solo Rules Book regarding brakes in the ST category. I see no subclass ST specifications (STS, STX, etc.) regarding this so I assume it is allowed in ALL ST classes?

14.6 BRAKES
    A. Non-standard brake rotors may be used provided they are of equal or larger dimensions (diameter and thickness) and made of ferrous material (e.g., iron). Thickness includes the individual plates of a vented rotor, as well as the overall dimension. The diameter for replacement rotors is measured at the minimum outside dimension. Aluminum rotor hats are allowed. Cars originally equipped with solid (non-vented) rotors may utilize vented rotors. Cross-drilled and/or slotted brake rotors may be fitted provided all such voids are within the disc area and comprise no more than 10% of that area. Brake calipers and mounting brackets may be replaced provided they bolt to the standard locations and the number of pistons is equal to or greater than standard.

What I get from this is I can use any front 2-piece bolt-on big(ger) brake kit and remain in the STS class?

I have only read on forums dated back from 2002-2010 about this and how brake swaps (Z32, Q45) puts you in STX class, but I have never actually seen a "CURRENT official publication" of this. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Another question I have is are stock seatbelt modifications legal? Different retractors, and UPPER belt mounting point? Same buckle, buckle mounting point, and LOWER belt mounting point.

djsilver
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Jun 2013 10:43 PM
    There's one main set of ST rules, with break-outs for sub-classes in the individual sections, such as wheels, tires, etc.

With respect to seatbelts, ST classes inherits allowances from stock class. In this case, you're allowed to mount a "harness bar" and a harness "in addition" to your stock seatbelts, but you're not allowed to modifiy or remove the OEM seatbelts. Schroth makes some DOT-legal 4-point harnesses that you can wear, while leaving the funky motorized seatbelts stowed.
    LoserCard

--
    15 Jun 2013 01:10 AM
    For ST sub classes, where is the rule page or listing? I can't seem to find it and the only thing I have to go off of for subclasses is the rule book and they only list differences for wheels, tires, and LSD for the ST classes.
    djsilver
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Jun 2013 04:02 AM
    ST rules (Pages 81-89) of the newest downloadable version dated 5-1. Car class assignments for the ST Classes are in Appendix A, (p 181-185). Beyond that you have the allowances inherited from Stock Classes (p-71-79) and clarifications in Appendix F (p-270).

http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517
    LoserCard

--
    16 Jun 2013 02:23 PM
    Well, I went over EVERYTHING in the rule book again and the ONLY ST subclass restrictions I found were what I previously mentioned...

14.3.B Tires
    14.4 Wheels
    14.10.K Limited Slip Differentials

So I am just going to assume they did away with brake mod restrictions for ST subclasses. I only asked because I already have a brake swap on my car and I didn't want it to be the only thing that is keeping me in a higher category.
    rosejm
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Jun 2013 05:35 PM
    If The Rules don't say that you can do something, then you can't do that.

The section you're looking for, which is in between the sections you list above (pg 84) and strangely enough is titled "Brakes":
    14.6 BRAKES
    A. Non-standard brake rotors may be used provided they are of equal
    or larger dimensions (diameter and thickness) and made of ferrous
    material (e.g., iron). Thickness includes the individual plates of a
    vented rotor, as well as the overall dimension. The diameter for replacement
    rotors is measured at the minimum outside dimension.
    Aluminum rotor hats are allowed. Cars originally equipped with solid
    (non-vented) rotors may utilize vented rotors. Cross-drilled and/or
    slotted brake rotors may be fitted provided all such voids are within
    the disc area and comprise no more than 10% of that area. Brake
    calipers and mounting brackets may be replaced provided they bolt
    to the standard locations and the number of pistons is equal to or
    greater than standard. A functioning emergency brake of the same
    type, operation, and actuation as OE must be present. Drum brakes
    may be replaced with disc brakes of a diameter equal to or greater
    than the inside diameter of the standard drum. Such conversions
    must be bolted, not welded, to the axle/trailing arm/upright and must
    include an integral, redundant emergency brake. Changes to backing
    plates/dust shields/brake lines to accommodate these changes
    are permitted but may serve no other purpose.
    B. Brake lines may be substituted with alternate DOT-approved flexible
    brake lines.
    C. Air ducts may be fitted to the brakes provided that they extend in a
    forward direction only and that no changes are made in the body/
    structure for their use. They may serve no other purpose.
    D. Original equipment ABS braking systems may be electrically disabled
    but may not be removed or altered in any other way.
    NIFARES

--
    20 Jun 2013 05:52 PM
    what class do you want to run?
    These are the classes 240sx is eligible to run.
    G-Stock

Street Touring Sport

Street Touring Xtreme

D Street Prepared

Street Modified 

E Prepared
    LoserCard

--
    20 Jun 2013 07:19 PM
    Jun - I would like to run STS but I was just confirming that I could run it because I already have a brake swap on my car.

Rosejm - I have gone over 14.6 and the highlights I get from it are:

1. Larger iron rotor in diameter and thickness allowed.
    2. Aluminum hats allowed.
    3. Drilled/slotted rotors allowed. (surface area must not be reduced by 10% with holes and slots)
    4. Brake calipers and mounting brackets may be replaced assuming they mount to the same mounting positions.
    5. More pistons allowed.
    6. Drum/E-brake > Disc conversions allowed. (Functional E-brake must be present)
    7. Brake shield trim/removal allowed.
    8. DOT approved brake line substitutions allowed.

I don't know about you but that overall sums up everything that a big brake kit or conversion does. I think the only thing NOT allowed is to run smaller brakes to reduce unsprung weight. My original question was not whether a BBK was allowed, it was whether it would bump me up into STX (instead of STS) as it had in older rulebooks. But since there is no clarifications between ST subclasses for a BBK in 14.6 (or anywhere else for that matter), I would think it is safe to assume that there are no restrictions. If anyone can find any evidence proving otherwise please post it.
    NIFARES

--
    21 Jun 2013 01:30 AM
    just run the car and have fun.
    Boxologist
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    22 Jun 2013 10:04 AM
    Cars are now explicitly classed in their Street Touring class. There is not more class hopping possible, that loophole has been closed following the God's Chariot fiasco a few years back. The 240SX will be in STX.
    NIFARES

--
    24 Jun 2013 12:05 AM
    guess STX, DSP, or EP. EP will have most freedom taking advantage of weight reduction- not for the faint of heart. 240sx biggest problem is finding the right shocks as most applications are whack, off-shelf, coilovers which none works. SM is another class that possibly can make the car shine- just need to drive the balls off and smooth as possible. not many campaign this car.
    NIFARES

--
    24 Jun 2013 01:25 AM
    if running 240sx in STX, one should get an LSD. not that viscous b.s/
    Sebastian R.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Jun 2013 06:38 PM
    Posted By Boxologist on 22 Jun 2013 10:04 AM
    Cars are now explicitly classed in their Street Touring class. There is not more class hopping possible, that loophole has been closed following the God's Chariot fiasco a few years back. The 240SX will be in STX.

It's true that the ST category has been re-organized to eliminate the class hopping, but the 240sx is now specifically classed in STC, not STX.

---