Go to next topic
Last Post 20 Jul 2013 05:21 PM by  47CP
New to AutoX in my 2011 GT
 10 Replies
Author Messages
MY11GT

--
06 Jul 2013 12:26 AM
    I am new to Autocrossing. I have been to half a dozen or so and in several different vehicles. I have done 1 in my 2011. It seems there is no great class for this car so I need to develop skills. Any advice anyone has i would appreciate. I have also read all of Vorshlag's thread.
    jcp907

--
    07 Jul 2013 11:30 PM
    I am also new to autocross (after a 13 year hiatus). It will be most competitive in ESP (with the proper modifications) and shouldn't be bad in F Stock. It is outclassed in STX, but, that may not preclude you from running there.
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Jul 2013 09:33 AM
    You can also keep within sight of the leaders in RTR if your region supports that class.

DaveW
    MY11GT

--
    12 Jul 2013 03:03 PM
    I surely do appreciate it. The last autox i did I lost to a 2013 BOSS 302 by 8 seconds. I have factory suspension except for F Springs and i have 245x45x19 all the way around. He had slicks all the way around. I am hoping I will be able to compete with him if I have a better tire setup and do some suspension mods. I am trying to compete here locally, because lets face it, Im married, so broke mos tof the time...lol...I couldnt afford to do nationals so my goal is to be good locally. Any set up advice is much appreciated also. Thanks for the help everyone.
    geezerracer

--
    12 Jul 2013 04:33 PM
    There is really no inexpensive way to reach your goal of competing with the Boss on r-comps. Contact Sam Strano at Stranoparts.com, he can help you improve the car as you can afford updates. Get seat time and enroll in one of the top schools. (Sam can help there also) Be patient and good luck. 
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 Jul 2013 04:36 PM

Setup Advice:   Buy Dunlop ZII tires, camber bolts and work on your driving.  Maybe not in that order, do driving first.

DaveW

MY11GT

--
    13 Jul 2013 03:42 PM
    Ill try all of that. I will contact Sam and have a chat and see what he thinks. I have already had a email from Vorshlaq about ideas. Camber plates are a top priority and tires as of right now, but i will be trying to make every autox between now and then as well to hone some skills.
    eschantra

--
    16 Jul 2013 02:35 AM

If you're broke, put the stock springs back and run F-stock.  ESP is a slippery slope and you would need many $1000s to be competitive.  Then do as Dave suggests, since he's fast and knows what he's talking about (I should know, he kicked my ass up and down the ProSolo courses at Summer Nats ).

If you're losing to a Boss by 8 seconds, do driver driver driver mod.  I love Bosses and sometimes regret not buying one instead of my GT, but they are not THAT much faster.  On a 60sec. course, my F-Stock GT was about 3.5sec "raw time" slower than a Boss 302 LS prepped for ESP and driven by a multi-time national champion, and I drove like absolute CRAP (never mind that I'm not in the same league as Jadrice when I drive well).  That's with both of us on Hohos, but Dave on Z2s was only a few tenths back raw time.  Did I mention I drove like crap?

MY11GT

--
    20 Jul 2013 12:09 AM
    You dont think the Boss have race tires all the way around and me having 245 45 19 made any difference? Factory Perllis, they sure didnt do well at all... After i get a set of street rims and tires i plan on putting race tires on my brembo wheels.
    geezerracer

--
    20 Jul 2013 08:00 AM
    The r-comps make a big difference. A good street tire (extreme performance summer class) will make a difference of a second or more. We gained another 4 seconds over Yok Advan AD 08's when we went to Hoosiers. That's on an 06 with 75% ESP prep. That's about a $3k investment for 10.5' wheels and 315/30/18 Hoosiers. As suggested earlier you can stay with OEM wheels in F stock for now and see big gains until the rule changes take effect (you can fit a 295 r-comp on 9' wheels). That gives you some time to gain experience and decide what direction you want to go. Word of warning, if SSR doesn't last ESP will go from a very competitive class to "O my God" level.
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 Jul 2013 05:21 PM
    I stick by my advice. The stock Pirellis are an absolutely terrible, terrible tire. Do not use these to judge "street tires" in comparison to Z2, or RS3 or Rival (not an option in 19's)

Thanks,

DaveW

---