Go to previous topic
Go to next topic
Last Post 02 Jan 2012 09:54 PM by  Steve Hoelscher
Anyone tow with a Trailblazer or Trailblazer SS?
 14 Replies
Author Messages
Z06 Silver Bullet

--
15 Aug 2006 10:04 PM

Was curious for any feedback or thoughts.

Looking to tow a vette or camaro on either an open aluminum trailer or enclosed alum.

dhrmx5
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Aug 2006 10:46 AM
    I just got done towing from Denver to Iowa to Kansas City with one. I wasn't impressed at all. It got 20mpg empty but with an open trailer with a Miata on it and few spares it dropped all the way to 10-12mpg. Cruise was useless. I had difficulty maintaining 70mph on any sort of incline. For the same fuel economy I could have used a Suburban. It felt safe enough. I often tow with an Explorer but get 16mpg when towing. Don't know why the difference.
    Z06 Silver Bullet

--
    18 Aug 2006 11:59 AM

Sounds like this was a regular trailblazer.

Besides lack of power was it stable?

dhrmx5
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Aug 2006 01:27 PM
    It was the regular, not the extended version. It was plenty stable. My main gripe was the fuel economy and not being able to use the cruise. Even the slightest grade would cause it to kick down and rev like crazy. I wouldn't hesitate to tow with one. I was hauling about 4500lbs.
    dmitrik4
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Aug 2006 05:57 PM
    I-6 or 5.3L V8 version? i drove the I-6 on a road trip (not towing), and thought it was underpowered then; can't imagine with a trailer.
    Z06 Silver Bullet

--
    01 Sep 2006 08:37 PM

6.0 liter LS2 vette motor is in SS trailblazer. Thus the appeal.

can tow up to 6,700lbs

c4racer2

--
    11 Oct 2006 07:51 PM

I am considering one as well. Would be my primary driver as well. I shouldn't have sold my Armada when I sold my race car - in less than 1 year here I am picking up another race car!! I drove one and they are real rocketships and very manouverable in parking lots and so forth. My biggest concern is the drivetrain - mostly the diffs. Some are having trouble with those already, and other high HP cars besides the Vette that GM has produced seem to cut corners in that area as well. Motor and tranny are pretty robust. I am thinking it would be smarter to wait until next year and get a '07 model with the 5/100K drivetrain warrantee - that would help. But the prices now are tempting ~$33K for a fully loaded LT with Nav that stickers for $40K.

Others I am considering include: Touareg, 4Runner, Land Rover LR3 or a more traditional approach like Exp, Tahoe, Yukon, Navigator

My tow set up is ~5000lbs so could push over 6K with tools, cargo and people. I also need a AWD for ski season.

JJKJ

--
    12 Oct 2006 10:44 PM

I've pulled my 5000lb boat a few times now with my SS. I've also pulled my 24' enclosed Pace car hauler with it just to see how it'd do. I wouldn't pull the car hauler loaded because it would exceed the tow capacity, but it pulled it pretty well with just a few ATV's in it. The SS does great pulling the boat. My plan is to sell the enclosed hauler and buy an open 18' hauler which I think the SS will pull nicely.

John

steve k.

--
    29 Nov 2006 03:47 PM

Towed with a regular Blazer form California to Topeka. Open trailer, four people, their stuff, and a 2100 car. I was actually impressed with it. We maintained 81mph most of the trip outside of California. Overall gas milage was about 13.5mpg with 11mpg climbing the rockies and 17 coming down. It was a bit unstable at high cross winds and it was dropping a bit low in the rear, but we survived.

steve k.

franman27

--
    03 Mar 2007 09:17 PM

I have been towing for 3 years with a 6 cyl Trailblazer. 20' enclosed trailer ( low though only 5' high inside) it pulls it easily, my car is VERY light so the whole outfit only weighs about 3500#, I also live in the flatlands of Michigan so mountains might (will) be a different story.

I get about 14mpg towing but the Trailblazer get lousy milage even without towing ( 19 at best)

REALSPEED74STS

--
    03 Mar 2007 10:08 PM

I have a 2006 TBSS and it tows great. Pulling a 18 foot open trailer with a 1989 civic si, combined weight 4500 lbs at 70mph gets 14-16 mpg. 18-20 mpg empty

Feffman

--
    09 Oct 2007 12:11 AM

Currently use my wife's 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. with the Hemi to tow. No issues other then fuel mileage. Am trying to convince her to trade it on the new Grand Cherokee with the Mercedes V6 turbo-diesel but no luck so far. More torque and 40% better fuel mileage.

Feff

IntegraR0064
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Dec 2011 01:37 PM
    Bringing this thread back from the dead. Now that there's been some time, has anyone been towing with the TBSS for a few years? Any reliability issues like the differential concern above?

I'm thinking about getting one or the saab version and towing my S2000 on an open trailer with maybe an extra set of wheels, so maybe 4k lbs. I've read that a tranny cooler is a good idea but if I do that anyone think I'll have reliability issues?
    Eunos735

--
    29 Dec 2011 10:54 PM
    I have an ENVOY XUV. I live in Chattanooga Tennessee and have towed a 18ft open trailer with my Miata to the Toledo, Blythville, Atlanta and Nashville Tours along with a ton of regional events anywhere from 50 to 150 miles away. and towed our 94 Sentra LeMons car to Gingerman in Michigan, Circuit Grand Bayou in Louisiana, Carolina Motorsports Park in South Carolina. All in all I towed about 10,000 miles this past year with the XUV and had no issues with it. It will run 80-85 miles an hour easy on the flat lands and mild grades. While it's not a diesel it is more than enough for my needs.
    Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Jan 2012 09:54 PM
    The weak link in the Trailblazer is going to be the transmission.

---