Go to next topic
Last Post 25 Jun 2017 03:23 AM by  sassysaint
Towing with a Honda Ridgeline?????
 89 Replies
Author Messages
trex18

--
27 Jul 2007 09:14 AM

I'd love to hear some feedback on this one. If it can tow with ease (rated 5000#), it could be a perfect multipurpose vehicle.

Could double as a good daily driver/winter vehicle and great gas milage compared to a full size van/truck.

Phillip S. Osborne
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Jul 2007 09:48 PM

I've seen several folks towing with them, but the first one that comes to mind is Dan Stone out of Indiana, hauling his Solstice all over the country. He says it works great...

I have been towing with a Honda Pilot for the past several months after selling my enclosed trailer and Duramax Diesel PU, and buying an aluminum open unit to haul the 1900 lb. CRX. The Pilot has been a trouble free and capable vehilce for short hauls, but since the tow hitch was added, it is not an official tow package with trans cooler, and other items that may make up a tow package. The Ridgeline I had considered when the Pilot goes off lease (it has been my wife's daily driver for the past three years) was an RTX pkg. that includes standard tow package group. However, I decided to go with a bit larger tow unit with a V8 and purchased a Dodge Durango Hemi with tow pkg....What a truck! This thing tows effortlessly, and on a recent trip to Dallas from central KY, my overall average for fuel economy during my two week trip, that also took me to Corpus Christi, it averaged nearly 23 mpg for the entire trip at 22.8...(not towing of course.) That's better than the Pilot! Glad I got it over the Ridgeline, however, I LIKED the Ridgeline....

rubenpadron

--
    31 Jul 2007 05:55 PM

I've been towing with a Ridgeline for almost 2 years... has been a GREAT tow vehicle. I tow a CSP Miata with an open trailer... car weighs around 1930 lbs and trailer about another 1200, so I'm well below the tow rating. I average about 16-17 mpg TOWING!!! Up steep hills, it will downshift to 4th (and even 3rd on REALLY steep ones), but overall you can't even notice it's there.

I've never been a truck or SUV kind of guy, but I needed something to tow with... this has been the perfect vehicle since it really does not feel like a truck when not towing and makes a great passenger vehicle. The trunk feature is also a great place to stow tools and other gear.

The only downside is that the bed is fairly short so hauling long items sometimes requires you to leave the tailgate open.

It's been a bulletproof truck (I would expect nothing less from Honda) and I'd highly recommend it for towing a light car with open trailer... not sure how well it would do with an enclosed trailer.

Good luck!

Ruben

CSP Miata

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    07 Aug 2007 01:36 AM

I'm near the limit, full e-brakes on both axles, have been at or slightly above the 10,000# gross weight limit a time or two

could it stand for more power; yes

is it acceptable; yes

is it practical; yes

we've stacked 8 large wheels/tires in rear cab with the seats folded up

towing 75+ mph isn't an issue except for mileage, steep inclines at higher elevations it will drag down until it hits 60 mph then downshift and pull you back up to 70 mph and then repeat, I pull from sea level - 8000 ft regularly

probably the best handling vehicle during towing you will ever drive, best handling truck not towing too. I'm considering a Lear topper before Nats

The RL is supposedly getting a turbo diesel in 2010, if so I'll probably upgrade

BTW, the spare and tools are in the bed trunk, if you're going to load up the bed you may want to pull that out and put it in the bed too so it won't be trapped underneath everything. In fact, it's a min spare and you should consider replacing it with a full size for towing - been meaning to do that.

rubenpadron

--
    09 Aug 2007 04:08 PM
    TeamRX8 wrote:

In fact, it's a min spare and you should consider replacing it with a full size for towing - been meaning to do that.

Are you sure it's not a full spare? I'll have to double check mine (RT model), but I could have sworn it's a full size spare. Then again, I'm used to tiny Miata wheels / tires! [;)]

Ruben

CSP Miata

01 FS Z28
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Aug 2007 06:08 PM

I can see using one to pull small loads.... but I'll stick with a real truck thanks. As for the mileage, I get 14-16 towing pulling either an ESP Camaro or FS Mustang (both over 3400 pounds), at least 2 sets of wheels and tires (over 200 pounds for each set), I get about 18-20 empty, and never slow down for anything. Stock my Cummins has 600 ft/lbs of torque, and I have it *ahem* hopped up a little too.

There is more to it than "will it pull it"? Even compared to my first truck (a Chevy with a Vortec 350 and 335 ft/lbs of torque) there is no comparison if you tow a lot, or two heavy. I'm always less tired and cover more distance in a day now since I don't have an engine screaming from downshifting. I don't have to stop every 250 miles unless I want to, I can pass people on 2-lane roads if I want to.

I'm not saying you need a diesel or anything. I'm saying that if you can swing a vehicle that has more weight, more brakes, more power I'd recommend it. Hell, if I had a Miata or a CRX and an aluminum trailer, I'd be ok with a Ridgeline. Most folks pull more weight than that.

geewiz
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Aug 2007 10:29 PM

Heck, Sam, if you had a Ridgeline you could just drive the truck up onto your trailer and tow with that porker of a competition car! 

-- a miata pilot
    csp49

--
    09 Sep 2007 10:05 AM

I don't frequent the forum all that much but I do have an opinion on towing with a Ridgeline.

I have been towing my CRX on a Trailex since April of 2006. Given my load (approximately 2,500#) I have been extremely happy with it as a tow vehicle. I don't really use it for anything other than towing so in this period of time I have only accumulated 25,000 miles.

I routinely get 16-17 mpg towing at 70-75 and you literally cannot tell that there is anything behind me. If you load is 4,000# or less I honestly don't see any reason it would not be satisfactory. I do agree with Sam if you have a 'real' car you are going to want a 'real' truck.

I am a mimalist when it comes to my vehicles though and I always opt for the vehicle that will be most efficient for the job at hand. In my case the Ridgeline suits me perfectly. After all my friends got over the teasing and actually rode in the thing their opinon was vastly different. I don't need a 'real' truck; people just thought I did.

Scott

Jcamper

--
    17 Sep 2007 05:29 PM
    I have done my share of hauling/towing, and seen my share of failures. After witnessing a few, I have found that my personal mantra for a tow rig comes down to this. Count the lug nuts, less than 8? Not for me. I have seen multiple rear axle bearing failures, and on any non full-floating axle vehicle, that can mean the rear tire/axle unit pulls out, falls off. Just wondering how the Ridgeline rear bearings are setup? I think with light trailers/cars, no biggie, but I would be real leery of getting even close to that 5k limit. Just thought I would see what everyone's take was.
    BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Sep 2007 06:25 PM

Jcamper wrote:
    I have done my share of hauling/towing, and seen my share of failures. After witnessing a few, I have found that my personal mantra for a tow rig comes down to this. Count the lug nuts, less than 8? Not for me. I have seen multiple rear axle bearing failures, and on any non full-floating axle vehicle, that can mean the rear tire/axle unit pulls out, falls off. Just wondering how the Ridgeline rear bearings are setup? I think with light trailers/cars, no biggie, but I would be real leery of getting even close to that 5k limit. Just thought I would see what everyone's take was.

Generally with any vehicle that has rear disk brakes you won't have the problem with the axle pulling out. That's a drum brake thing I think. The caliper should keep everything there if not operating in any nice way.

I'm with you on the 8-lug minimum, though. Doesn't cost much more if at all and it's nice having a little extra capacity, especially when you go on a long trip.

dasto
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Sep 2007 01:49 PM

Since Phil mentioned me in the second post to this thread, I'll add that my Ridgeline now has over 45,000 miles of trouble-free service. I estimate that 70% of those miles are towing my Trailex open trailer and Solstice.

I found the comments offered by TeamRX8, rubenpadron, and CSP49 all similar to my observations and opinions.

Dan Stone

Davard
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    18 Sep 2007 03:27 PM

Jcamper wrote:
    The Ridgeline has IRS, so I imagine that the wheel bearings are part of the whole hub assembly (imagine your typical FWD car, only beefier).

And just because it has 8 lugs, doesn't mean that it's a full-floating axle. GM put a lot of 9.5" axles under 3/4 Suburbans that weren't full-floating. I believe Ford did as well, in the non-HD F250. Of course, these are likely to be older trucks, so YMMV.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Sep 2007 05:16 AM
    We did 1600 miles from Reno to Topeka this past weekend all loaded up for Nats, probably close to it's 10000# gross rating. Pretty much did 80 mph the whole way except for a few steep grades and construction zones.
    krzastek

--
    12 Jan 2008 08:34 AM
    What brake controller are you using for the Ridgeline?
    dasto
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Jan 2008 10:21 AM
    I have a Trailex trailer with surge brakes. Trailex sells both electric and surge brake equipped trailers. Trailex recommended the surge brakes and I have not regretted the decision. Therefore, I do not have a brake controller. This will be my third season towing with the Ridgeline and the Trailex. I have 51,000 miles on the Ridgeline with no problems. I often tow with the cruise on 70-75 mph depending on the speed limit. Of course the power or torque is not plentiful. The more important thing to me is the incredible stability this rig has on the road at all speeds. It's rock solid, never sways, and you tow with a lot of confidence.
    krzastek

--
    12 Jan 2008 11:14 AM
    TeamRX8 wrote:

I'm near the limit, full e-brakes on both axles, have been at or slightly above the 10,000# gross weight limit a time or two

How much does your trailer weigh?

01 FS Z28
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 Jan 2008 06:24 PM

You might consider the terrain.... Scott and Dan live in flat-land. Mark pulls more hills and mountains... then again he towed a car and dolly with Impala's (and not the RWD full framed ones) and a Crown Vic. :)

I'm with Scott on the towing with the best, most effective vehicle you need. Which is why I get not a whole lot less mileage towing a lot more weight... and around 20 empty. Remember I'm pulling a 7100 pound truck, a 3450 pound car, on a 1700 pound trailer. And usually have two more sets of R-comps (about 200 pounds per set, for another 400) a full sized jack, tool box. ME (not small), maybe another person, etc. Consider that Dan and Scott both pull smaller cars on smaller, aluminum trailers too. Mark's car is a good 500 pounds less, but I don't know what the trailer weighs.

Add it all up and it's a easy 13,000 pounds in total. The worst tank towing all year: 14.9, and I live in a non-flat part of the US and tow A LOT.

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 Jan 2008 10:20 AM

I just gotta pipe in about this one real quick. . . . wife and I purchased a 2006 GMC 1500 CrewCab with the short bed. Full framed, fullsize truck capable of easily pulling 7500lbs. We bought the small V8, 2wd and taller rearend. Driving day to day, the truck averages 20-21mpg in rthe summer, 19-20 in the winter. On the road, empty it's a24mpg long distance runner that is stable and comfortable with a to of room and we'ved pulled a 7500lb tractore on a 1200lb trailer about 100 miles without difficulty. I have future plans for headers/exhaust and a mileage tune for the PCM to put me into the upper 20's (27mpg@ 80mph is the goal)

No offense to you RL owners, but I work for an "upscale honda" dealer and I would NEVER trust that transmission as much as you have.

dasto
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Jan 2008 12:52 PM
    Since I own a Ridgeline and feedback was requested, I answered the post. I'm not trying to make a case against any other truck. As others have posted, there are certainly different applications. For my situation the Ridgeline works. The total towing weight of car and trailer is just under 3600#. The Ridgeline fits in my garage and it works well as my daily driver. The towing performance had been reliable thus far. I am personally not aware of a pattern of transmission problems for Ridgelines used in a similar application as mine. Different towing considerations obviously dictates a different tow vehicle.
    Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Jan 2008 02:42 PM

dasto wrote:
    I am personally not aware of a pattern of transmission problems for Ridgelines used in a similar application as mine. Different towing considerations obviously dictates a different tow vehicle.

I have been out of the transmission business for about three years now but I owned a big Aamco Center for several years. We did all of the transmission work for two local Honda dealers. If I remember correctly, the Ridgeline uses the same basic transmission as in the Odyssey. That transmission is the most problematic in Honda's history. While its hard to argue with the success that the people here have testified to, the larger statistical sample doesn't bear this out.

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    18 Jan 2008 04:23 PM
    Yeah, the AWD RL is the MDX/pilot. We still do quuite a few now. IIRC, that trans is going through a class action lawsuit likethe Accord/TL trans did.
    Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Jan 2008 10:58 PM

Bobzilla wrote:
    Yeah, the AWD RL is the MDX/pilot. We still do quuite a few now. IIRC, that trans is going through a class action lawsuit likethe Accord/TL trans did.

That's what I thought. I wouldn't tow with one of those. And if I owned one, I would be sure I had some kind of warranty on that unit or trade it off before it was out of warranty. Those are expensive units to overhaul. We got $2500 wholesale.

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Jan 2008 07:40 AM
    They are actually available in OEM reman now. About $1800 for an OEM reman isn't bad, but it's still uber-expensive.
    Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    21 Jan 2008 03:09 PM

Bobzilla wrote:
    They are actually available in OEM reman now. About $1800 for an OEM reman isn't bad, but it's still uber-expensive.

Wow, then the price has really come down. I assume that's dealer cost though. We were doing them for $2500 flat rate and warrantying them to the dealer. At the time I think dealer cost was something like $2800.

I remember when Chrysler was having so much trouble with the A604 automatics in their Caravans. You could buy a Chrysler reman from the dealer (wholesale) for $650. We bought a lot of them because we couldn't build them for that. The Chrysler was subsidizing the price to take some of the sting out of the transmission problems owners were having. Maybe that's what Honda is doing now.

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Jan 2008 03:17 PM
    $1800 is retail, but still getting stuck on the road witha car in tow is not fun!
    Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    21 Jan 2008 06:37 PM

Bobzilla wrote:
    $1800 is retail,

Wow, then Honda really is following Chrysler's model to try and soften the hit. $1800 is about what most Chevy dealers get for a plain ol' 4L60E in a half ton pickup.

bobzilla wrote:
    but still getting stuck on the road witha car in tow is not fun!

BTDT. That's why I tow with a Ford instead of a Chevy today.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    07 Apr 2008 10:46 PM

well over 50k now and without a *single* issue of any kind and I load mine likely harder than most anyone else, while it shares similarities with the other Honda vehicles mentioned it's components are different in many ways

been over quite a few mountain passes, just added a 300# Leer topper while down at the San Diego Tour several weeks ago to boot

I'm very religious about replacing drivetrain fluids often due to the stress of towing, this is one area where a lot of people fail their vehicle and then get the same in return

There's a Mazda RX-8 in the trailer. I had every intention of installing sway control, etc. but this rig tows so perfecty even in high cross winds and twisty mountain roads that I haven't gotten around to installing the components yet one year later ...

EDIT: deleted picture, posted in earlier reply http://sccaforums.com/forums/permal...spx#258051

krzastek

--
    08 Apr 2008 12:36 PM
    TeamRX8 wrote:

well over 50k now and without a *single* issue of any kind and I load mine likely harder than most anyone else, while it shares similarities with the other Honda vehicles mentioned it's components are different in many ways

been over quite a few mountain passes, just added a 300# Leer topper while down at the San Diego Tour several weeks ago to boot

I'm very religious about replacing drivetrain fluids often due to the stress of towing, this is one area where a lot of people fail their vehicle and then get the same in return

There's a Mazda RX-8 in the trailer. I had every intention of installing sway control, etc. but this rig tows so perfecty even in high cross winds and twisty mountain roads that I haven't gotten around to installing the components yet one year later ...

TeamRX8's Ridgeline & enclosed trailer

how much weight are you towing?

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11 Apr 2008 08:56 PM
    krzastek wrote:

how much weight are you towing?

just south of both the tow (5000#) and GVWR (10000#) limits

Gearhead's Garage

--
    22 May 2008 02:29 PM
    TeamRX8 wrote:

just south of both the tow (5000#) and GVWR (10000#) limits

What brand of trailer is that? I've never seen one built to open up that way.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    22 May 2008 08:17 PM

I only have several inches clearance on each side, so it needs to open on both ends to tie it down

the side door allows the car door to open fully for easy ingress/egress, the entire top assembly is bolted on, it can be lifted and removed for open trailer hauling

it pulls like a dream, driving it on into the tight confines is not for people with a weak disposition

http://www.montrosetrailers.com

http://sccaforums.com/forums/permal...spx#301356

krzastek

--
    29 Aug 2008 10:12 PM
    just an update on this. I have been towing my Miata with my Ridgeline since Jan and I couldn't be happier. It does a great job
    csp49

--
    21 Sep 2008 02:07 PM
    Steve Hoelscher wrote:

dasto wrote:
    I am personally not aware of a pattern of transmission problems for Ridgelines used in a similar application as mine. Different towing considerations obviously dictates a different tow vehicle.

I have been out of the transmission business for about three years now but I owned a big Aamco Center for several years. We did all of the transmission work for two local Honda dealers. If I remember correctly, the Ridgeline uses the same basic transmission as in the Odyssey. That transmission is the most problematic in Honda's history. While its hard to argue with the success that the people here have testified to, the larger statistical sample doesn't bear this out.

I believe Steve (& others) are correct that there were problems with the early 2nd generation Odyssey transmissions. Lots of problems. I believe that those problems were addressed a couple of years into the model run and any problems with that transmission were addressed before the Ridgeline was introduced. I also agree with Sam that Dan & I do indeed live in 'flatland' and I probably would not be as happy if I had a lot of hilly or mountain towing (like Sam) to do. For the vast majority of people towing less than 4,000# on an open trailer I don't think there is any reason NOT to tow with the Ridgeline.

Scott

dasto
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Sep 2008 05:07 PM
    csp49 wrote:
    Steve Hoelscher wrote:

dasto wrote:

I believe Steve (& others) are correct that there were problems with the early 2nd generation Odyssey transmissions. Lots of problems. I believe that those problems were addressed a couple of years into the model run and any problems with that transmission were addressed before the Ridgeline was introduced. I also agree with Sam that Dan & I do indeed live in 'flatland' and I probably would not be as happy if I had a lot of hilly or mountain towing (like Sam) to do. For the vast majority of people towing less than 4,000# on an open trailer I don't think there is any reason NOT to tow with the Ridgeline.

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the information. I am now up to 65,606 miles. Hopefully the good service will continue until the next model change.

Dan

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Sep 2008 07:23 PM

I rolled over 71,000 miles on the way back from Nats. I leave it in OD as I've done on all my tow vehicles, but change the trans fluid often. No issues to date other than the OE front rotors warped.

I installed a set of EBC Yellowstuff brake pads and new Centric rotors on the front before Nationals. The OE pads were barely worn, but didn't look glazed or anything suspicious. The new pads stop much better. This is not the same compound as the EBC race yellowstuff pads, but a modified version intended for trucks/SUVs doing towing duty. They do dust more than the OE ceramic pads though.

By my estimate I was probably close to 11000 lb combined GVWR towing back from Nats, which exceeds the recommended 10000 GVWR combined limit. It wasn't intentional, but we were a bit shocked at how heavy the truck was when we drove over the HPT scales empty but with two adults and a Leer topper; 5150 lbs. I ended up hauling back extra wheel tire sets too, so the two combined put the load on the heavy side.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Sep 2008 12:57 PM

just putting the "it's a Pilot/Odyssey/MDX trans" myth to bed, it's not

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...egawheels/

[quote]

Vaughan: But it must share a lot with the Pilot.

Flint: Well, it is part of the Honda family and it shares a number of components.

The engine is fundamentally similar to the engine in the MDX. The transmission, however, was specifically developed for application in this vehicle, primarily because of the towing and truck needs. So gear ratio and torque converter and a lot of the clutch backs are actually specific for this model.

Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Sep 2008 10:31 PM

Vaughan: But it must share a lot with the Pilot.

Flint: Well, it is part of the Honda family and it shares a number of components.

The engine is fundamentally similar to the engine in the MDX. The transmission, however, was specifically developed for application in this vehicle, primarily because of the towing and truck needs. So gear ratio and torque converter and a lot of the clutch backs are actually specific for this model.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Just changing the torque converter stall rpm, the clutchs and the gear ratios doesn't make it a different transmission. Its the same transmission with application specific converter, clutche and gear ratios. This is a typical of most manufacturers. As an example; GM builds more variations of the 4T65E than I can count. They went in everything from the minivans with 3.2 liter pushrod V6s to the Grand Prix with the supercharged 3.8. They all had different gear ratios, torque converters, pump and valve bodies. But they are all aflicted with the same issues.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Oct 2008 09:09 PM

Steve Hoelscher wrote:

But they are all aflicted with the same issues.

Apparently not given my own experience to date, but then we're known to disagree on more than this point

In this particular case you have no direct Ridgeline experience though, people can decide for themselves.

Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Oct 2008 12:21 PM
    TeamRX8 wrote:

Apparently not given my own experience to date, but then we're known to disagree on more than this point

In this particular case you have no direct Ridgeline experience though, people can decide for themselves.

I was referring to the 4T65E from GM, as having issues. As I have previously stated, Honda likely updated the transmission to fix the known problems but since that would have happened after I left the industry, I don't know. However, until there is more data, I am a skeptic.

And a hand full of guys with Ridgelines isn't an adequate data sample.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 Oct 2008 04:42 AM

it's more adequate than a handful of sceptics with no actual experience

but start here if you dare to care

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/

gareno
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Oct 2008 01:23 PM

I've towed some with our Odyssey with the factory tow package. It had the factory hitch and tranny cooler. Its been to Milwaukee, Houston, Denver, and StLouis a couple times. The Mini weighs 2500lbs, and the trailer weighs right at 1000lbs with electric brakes. So its right at its 3500lb rating. It's actually over its GVWR with the kids, dogs and luggage. But its a pretty good tow vehicle for long trips. It tows comfortably at 75mph. Like others have mentioned, it does need to downshift to 4th on hills, but that's to be expected. It gets 24mpg empty and about 15mpg towing. Can't beat that. We sold the van with 72k on it. It never had a single mechanical issue whatsoever. Here's a pic at the Denver National Tour.

As a comparison, I towed the exact same car & trailer with the same kids, minus the dogs...to St Louis this past summer, in a new 08 LTZ Tahoe. The Odyssey got better gas mileage (15 vs 12), stability was about the same. Brakes favored the tahoe a touch, and acceration wasn't much different. Actually it downshifted to 3rd as much as the Odyssey did to 4th. The odyssey was more comfortable for us. The LTZ had the self leveling suspension, so that was nice. That was the biggest weekpoint on the Odyssey was the weak springs. I backed the car on, so that it wasn't so tongue heavy. It didn't bother the Tahoe, since it self leveled. My point with the comparisons is that a truck based full sized SUV didn't do much better than the van.

SCCAForums Image

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Dec 2008 09:37 AM

based on the pic, you could have located the Mini further back on the trailer to ease up on the tongue weight, especially with the tool box on the nose

I'm not a big fan of strapping the car down via the wheels

My RL rolled past 76k, not a single issue to date

It's a winter God with Blizzak snow tires [Y]

gareno
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Dec 2008 11:03 AM

Further back on the trailer, and then I can't open the doors. Backing it on, did several things for me. It allowed me to open the doors most of the way, and it balanced the load, with the lighter end of the car on the tongue.

Also, the mini doesn't have any real tow hooks. All it comes with from the factory to tie down to, is the singe threaded hook that you install in the front and back bumpers. So on a mini, the wheels are the most secure mounting point. You can then tie down to all 4 corners. The suspension on the MCS, is so firm, that the car doesn't bounce around at all...zero.

Primetime Glick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Dec 2008 11:08 AM
    TeamRX8 wrote:

I'm not a big fan of strapping the car down via the wheels

Why? All I know is that after years of using chains and binders (before getting out of trailering, period), wheel tie down ratchet straps seemed like a pretty cool solution.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Dec 2008 09:20 PM

I pull my car down very tight using similar ratchet straps on the frame/pickup points and wouldn't want to be pulling on the suspension like that is all, not a matter of the chassis bouncing. Not having a choice is one thing, I've seen people do it that have other options.

trailer position vs. door clearance makes sense though, I didn't consider this

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    13 Feb 2009 08:36 AM

Finally had my first problem at 80,000 miles; the CEL came on, oh the horror .... [:P]

Having a KW Variant 3 DA coilover setup installed on in next Monday. This is the same setup the IRL uses on it's Ridgeline track safety vehicles. I would have preferred slightly stiffer lowering springs and swaybars instead, but after all this time nobody has yet to make swaybars for it and they're too convoluted to bother making on my own. A nice 2" drop, slightly stiffer springs and shocks, and some 275 summer tires should take the handling to a new level without killing the ride quality.

gareno
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Feb 2009 08:46 AM
    I'd like to see some pictures when you get that finished.
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 Feb 2009 04:12 PM

gareno wrote:
    I'd like to see some pictures when you get that finished.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...stcount=21

gareno
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Feb 2009 05:17 PM

Looks good. I just borrowed my mom's Ridgeline on Saturday to haul a newly purchased BBQ grill. I'll show her your pics, maybe she'll want to do that to hers.

Off subject, something I noticed on my mom's truck....The steering is super heavy, almost feels unassisted at idle. Once rolling, it feels fine. Is this normal? Her's has only got 5k miles on it, but I told her I think something is wrong with it.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 Feb 2009 10:00 PM

I still have the OE-size Blizzaks on, we're still got another month or two of potential snow/ice

Just went out and fired it up, then turned the steering wheel at idle. It's not loosey-goosey like the old GM couch on wheels steering, but not super heavy like being unassisted. Mine's an '07, not sure if they changed it since. I know the the new '09 model has revised gearing that will be better for towing IMO.

I would definitely recommend the EBC brake pads; yellow front, green rear. They are so much better than the OE pads even in daily driving, no noise and a bit more dust but it washes off super easy.

gareno
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Feb 2009 10:13 PM
    My mom's is an 07, I think. Not 100% on that, it could be an 06. She doesn't drive it that often, she's a single woman with 3 cars, that lives 5 blocks from work. So none of her cars get many miles on them. And I'm not sure she's driven any other Ridgelines, other than the one she bought, and neither have I, but I think something's wrong with it. I've had more than a dozen Hondas in my life, and I have always found their steering (if anything) overboosted. This is quite the opposite.
    squirrelgripper

--
    17 Mar 2009 11:18 PM
    gareno wrote:

SCCAForums Image

Can I ask where you sourced this trailer? I towed with our Toyota Sienna this weekend using a dolly, a trailer like this is just what I'm looking for.

BTW, I purchased a set of Airlift brand air bags for the rear of our Sienna - inflated them to 35psi and that helped maintain the ride height when towing.

Iain

gareno
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Mar 2009 07:18 AM

Clancy Schmidt works for the SCCA, he's the equipment manager, mostly responsible for getting the truck and trailer from Tour to Tour and Pro to Pro. He also helped instruct at KU in the engineering dept for the FSAE team. He built this trailer about 10yrs ago. He lives here in Lawrence. He has built about a 100 of them. They're still out there. I know of 2 other people with them. I don't think he's building them any more.

BTW, in the picture above, the Odyssey also has the airlift bags in the rear. They worked great. My wife and two kids, and the 3 dogs are all in the van when I took that picture, along with a weeks luggage. So its quite loaded, yet still is pretty level.

GRMPer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Mar 2009 07:25 AM

I've been sniffing around the Honda dealers around here looking at minivans--it turns out that the 07+ Odysseys actually have the Ridgeline-style 4-shaft transmission.  I guess they got sick of replacing the earlier ones.  

Per 

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Apr 2009 09:20 PM

Looks like my CEL was more horror than I thought. Every indication is that the 1st bank cat converter has failed. Of course I was several thousand miles past the emissions warranty, but at least the trans is still going strong [:P] Apparently a few other RL owners have earlier than expected cat failures too, though it doesn't seem to be a wide spread problem.

Had an issue with the KW coilover kit too. The rear springs collapsed/failed over a several week period, which KW says they've never seen before. The rear ride height kept dropping and we kept raising it up until coil bind finally started to occur. KW was extremely responsive to the problem and sent me out a new pair of rear springs with revised length/rate that they said would work better for towing. I intentionally pulled the car forward in the trailer to lay on the tongue weight and loaded up the bed too for the Wendover trip last weekend. The new springs took everything I had to throw at them and then some. No change in ride height following the trip, so everything seems to be in order. I'm really impressed by KW's customer service and the Ridge handles so much better with this suspension kit!

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Jul 2009 07:08 PM
    95,000 miles and still going strong .... the failed cat converter was the only problem so far, seems to be a rare random thing ....
    atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Jul 2009 11:00 AM
    TeamRX8 wrote:
    95,000 miles and still going strong .... the failed cat converter was the only problem so far, seems to be a rare random thing ....
    I thought cats were covered for 100k? Maybe, just a Cali thing.
    BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Jul 2009 01:23 PM

atcovan wrote:
    TeamRX8 wrote:
    I thought cats were covered for 100k? Maybe, just a Cali thing.

Federal Emissions warranty is 80K IIRC. No idea of Cali. has an extension on that.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Jul 2009 05:26 PM

Warranty is 80k, it went out around 82k and I got no mercy at the stealership ...

jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jul 2009 06:01 AM

"Stealership"... sounds like you need to find someplace with better customer service.

Does the Honda warranty say 80ish thousand miles or "someplace near 80K" miles?

ntsullivan

--
    10 Jul 2009 06:50 AM
    I tow a F100 with my Colorado and it has a 4/5" drop on 22's. [;)]
    Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Jul 2009 06:57 AM
    jdchristianson wrote:

"Stealership"... sounds like you need to find someplace with better customer service.

Does the Honda warranty say 80ish thousand miles or "someplace near 80K" miles?

Actually it's a federally mandated 8yr/80k mile emissions warranty.

atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Jul 2009 09:40 AM
    At 82k, they should have helped you. You know what it's called when you don't get a kiss after sex? Yep, you got...
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Aug 2009 11:12 AM

I'll be turning over 100,000 miles on the tow out to the Lincoln Divisional this weekend :crossesfingers:

MS

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Sep 2009 05:56 PM

Now at 103,500 miles. The indicator popped on recently for B4 service interval, which recommends changing the timing belt, water pump, and accessory drive belts, also full inspection of the steering/suspension/drivetrain.

We made it back from Lincoln OK, but had a minor scare just outside Reno when the truck started shaking badly and every possible dash light came on. Pulled over, turned it off, found nothing wrong, and when we cranked it back up everything was OK. Not sure if the stability/traction control system glitched or what? No problem since.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Sep 2009 05:12 PM
    Looks like it might be transmission or transfer case time, slipping under load at high rpm (near limiter) in 1st and 2nd with similar results as the "scare moment" mentioned above, more to follow ....
    Primetime Glick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Nov 2009 05:49 AM

TeamRX8 wrote:
    Looks like it might be transmission or transfer case time, slipping under load at high rpm (near limiter) in 1st and 2nd with similar results as the "scare moment" mentioned above, more to follow ....

I guess you would know by now if AT or TC is toast, but given that you've got over 100k on the truck, with many (some?) of those being maxed-out towing miles.... it's not unusual at all to go through an AT on any truck, from any manufacturer. You actually got a TON of mileage considering you essentailly had a complete stock trans ...with no external cooler and no constantly-monitored TT gauge.

Of course since they're Honda pieces and possibly the TC is involved too (it's some sort of an AWD system right?) replacing them isn't going to be cheap, but again considering your usage I don't think anyone can say you didn't get your money's worth. Hell my I had to basically give my F150 a whole new tranny - and it never towed a MILE in its mostly easy, country- and elderly-driven 80,000-mile life.

But, if it costs $5000 to fix the truck... not to mention replacing the cats.... maybe do a swapout? The resale has to be pretty high, and I not that I condone it but I guess its problems wouldn't be detected (or could be hidden) on a typical, very cursory dealer once-over on a trade.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Nov 2009 01:36 PM

Looks like this thread psyched me out. The dealership claimed the trans was fine. I've since thrown a code that indicates it's a VTEC oil pressure switch issue, the system is fine until it get's thrown:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...ostcount=9

[:)]

The truck is paid off, and frankly still in excellent condition IMO despite the mileage (now over 108k). I'd rather take my chances for now than get into another loan.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Aug 2010 09:51 PM

Now at 139,xxx miles. Just had the suspension/drivetrain fully inspected by the dealer and the RL was given a clean bill of .health

In summary, lost one primary cat just past the 80,000 mile emission warranty, the other went at 120,xxx miles which we also changed out the $65 VTEC oil switch. No other issues, just maintenance. Still running, driving, and towing strong ....

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    22 Nov 2010 05:34 PM

151,xxx miles and still going strong .... just keeping the naysayers quiet [:P]

planning on retiring it to tow-duty only soon

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 Dec 2010 07:38 PM
    officially retired the Ridgeline for tow duty only today with almost 156,000 miles on it - just bought a 2011 Honda Civic Si sedan as my new company car, lol
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    05 Mar 2011 04:51 PM
    160k, I'm taking bets on which event I won't make first because of a break down :-)
    IntegraR0064
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Jun 2011 05:33 PM
    Thanks for the updates, I'm considering whether to do a ridgeline or a slightly more truck-like truck like a Tacoma to tow my S2000/open trailer so it's helpful to see your experience.
    S2kTas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Jul 2011 01:29 PM

I have been doing more Towing with my 2009 Honda Ridgeline. Jim and I Co-Drive his Audi S4, and we have towed his car several times. And one of my SCCA friends here in Kansas City, has used my trailer along with the Ridgeline to tow his Ford Mustang Cobra to three of the local MiDiv events.

The Trailer is an H&amp;H Aluminum Tilt bed - Weight 1400 lbs.

The Ridgeline gets around 11-12 mph towing the open car trailer and Electric Brakes help with the stopping power. Although I am reasonably pleased with the Towing Capabilities of the Ridgeline, I would also say that when you pulling close to the 5,000 lb max load limit, that it is a pretty good tug for the truck.

Somewhere there, there is a fine line that you cross over, and you have to ask yourself if you would be happier with more HP and Torque that is available in 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton Pick-up Trucks of Ford, Chev, GM, Dodge, Nissan &amp; Toyota.

Link to a few photos

Joe

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Aug 2011 12:06 PM
    I would like more power for sure and the mileage isn't any better than a V8. Not sure I would like it at the expense of reliability and storage convenience though. Closing in on 172,000 miles and I carry a ton of stuff in the rear bed trunk and under the passenger seat. It has lived up to Hondas reputation for design and build quality.
    S2kTas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Aug 2011 05:00 PM
    I agree with your thoughts on the Design and Build Quality of the Ridgeline. I am also very pleased with the handling of the Truck.......more of a car feel to the handling. Probably the best truck in Snow that I have owned.

And speaking of the Trunk in the rear bed, and the Tailgate that opens both ways. Neither of these available in any other truck on the market!

Joe
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 Dec 2011 06:10 PM
    179k now, it will likely see major tow duty all over the continental US in 2012, hope it can make at least one more season
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    05 Aug 2012 10:25 AM

The rear toe adjusters rusted solid in the lower rear control arms so I will have to cut them out and replace those components on both sides. Otherwise this is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, even better than my non-tow vehicles

David Lehman
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    05 Aug 2012 11:04 AM
    Ditch the Ridgeline......

Go with a GMC Sierra Denali...WITH QUADRASTEER !

Mark,
    191,000 miles is for babies. 208,000 miles on my GMC. 11.4mpg towing open trailer.
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Aug 2012 03:31 PM
    I suppose avoiding the stealership with a break down is for babies too :-p

got 12 - 13 towing from Farmington to Toledo
    tpc0531

--
    27 Aug 2012 06:55 PM
    Flat towed a 1990 Miata with a rennemetal tow bar kit (tow bar from harbor freight).

Truck towed great in the mountains. I could not feel the miata behind the truck.

-2 mpg (averaged 17-18mpg) for 600+ miles at 60 to 65 mph

Nice towing vehicle and nice tow solution for Miata's
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Sep 2012 04:38 PM
    I get 2-3 better mpg using premium over regular when towing my enclosed trailer, it more than covers the cost difference
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    02 Mar 2013 01:34 PM

Getting ready for towing season #7 on the ol' girl now at 197,xxx miles. Couple of updates

Not sure if it was ever posted or not but at the start of last season KW rebuilt the coilovers and then I installed much stiffer 10 kg front and 14 kg rear springs with them. Rides a bit rougher for regular unloaded street use, but pretty much handles all of the loaded cab, bed, trunk, and trailer weight like it's nothing. The truck is pretty much a dedicated tow/hauling vehicle now.

replaced an electric radiator fan assy (there are two single fans) several months ago. The original one was still working, but the bearings had worn to the point it was wobbling and I could feel a vibration when the fan cycled on and off, mostly at idle.

also put in new spark plugs after 100,000 miles of service on the previous set; the used plugs had a perfect white-tan color and didn't look like they had seen in anywhere near that mileage, engine still seems strong and doesn't leak at all or use any more oil than expected

the rear toe eccentrics had rusted solid, likely from my previous winter use location in Reno, NV where they salted the roads, had to cut the lower rear arms out with a cutting wheel and replace them with new eccentrics lathered in anti-seize

replaced both the front &amp; rear swaybar chassis pivot bushings recently, seems to corner a little flatter - have to drop the rear subframe to access the rear swaybar bushings but it was easy to drop and do one side at a time with the rear up on jack stands and a single floor jack to lower &amp; raise the subframe. The springs being more biased towards the rear now provides a decent handling balance

have a new set of semi-metallic pads with four new rotors waiting to be installed in the next week or so

at the last dealership visit everything still checks out A-OK; original suspension joints, steering rods, etc.

transmission still seems fine to me (knock on wood), paint still has great luster though a number of rock chips on the hood are showing some light rust, everything still works like it should in and out, interior is holding up very well, definitely the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and to date it's taken all the use and abuse I can throw at it

fingers are crossed that it will last two more years and then I'll take a look at replacing it with a model year#2 of the next generation Honda Ridgeline

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    14 Sep 2013 01:01 AM
    Turned over 210,000 miles on the odometer on my way to Lincoln for the 7th Nationals trip and race season towing with the Ridgeline.

Hoping to get one more race season out of her (#8) next year without any major work. Got my fingers crossed.
    acts77

--
    03 Mar 2014 07:02 AM
    That sounds great. Good luck!
    S2kTas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Jul 2014 06:10 PM
    102,000 miles on my 2009 Honda Ridgeline, and all is well....... Going to keep it for another few years.

andrewjohn1317

--
    03 Apr 2015 06:35 AM
    Thanks guys. Good discussion. I tend to agree that there are no "great" trailer tires. I definitely will stay with load range E tires for the dual axle enclosed trailer. Apparently all trailer tires made in China, or as I discovered even Maxxis is made in Thailand. Such a discision. Yes, will replace every 3-4 years, keep out of sun in storage, run at 80 psi. Still, shopping is frustrating.
    andrewjohn1317

--
    08 Apr 2015 06:06 AM
    Nice forum to a perfect multipurpose vehicle.

Could anyone as a good vehicle and great gas milage compared to a full size van/truck
    S2kTas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Apr 2015 11:17 AM

Honda has a new model Ridgeline for 2016.    Search around on Google for more pictures   

http://automobiles.honda.com/new-ridgeline/

sassysaint

--
    25 Jun 2017 03:23 AM
    I have a 2008 Honda Ridgeline; I'm looking at a 2010 Funfinder XT190...  axle wt = 3,040lbs, hitch wt = 425lbs, dry wt = 3,465lbs, gvwr = 6,025lbs, 19Lx8Wx8H... can my truck handle this?

---