Trailer Tires - Load Range C vs. D, Brands
 9 Replies
Author Messages
Rich Grunenwald
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Apr 2011 09:27 PM

I have a Pace 20 ft enclosed, and all loaded up it is probably around 6500 lbs. It came with 205/75-15 Goodyear Marathons, load range C, and last time I replaced them with the same. I have had three premature tire failures (tread separation) over the years even though I am pretty diligent about inflation, bearing maintenance, and age of tires (I replace after 4 years). As best I can tell, these failures were not due to running over something in the road or a puncture.

The tire sidewall indicates they have a load capacity of 1823 lbs at max inflation. I am thinking that given the weight in the trailer, I may be close to the limit on tire load.

Questions:

- I was thinking of going to a load range D tire in the same size. Any downside to this?

- It does not appear Goodyear makes their trailer tire in load range D in the 205/75-15 size. Carlisle and Kenda do. Any other brands? Recommendations?

Thanks!

David Lehman
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Apr 2011 09:42 PM
    I have the same tires on my trailer. And have had issues in the past. Nothing crazy but the same type of stuff as you.

Maybe replace every 2.5 years ?
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Apr 2011 09:51 PM
    We put about 10-15k miles per year on our store trailer and go through a lot of trailer tires. The original Carlisle lasted 1 season before we had a blowout. It also came with the 205-15 C tires. Based on my experience with my other car trailer, I upgraded it to 225-15 D tires which IIRC have a 2540# capacity. They fit fine on the stock rims.

This extended tire life to several seasons. We do find that we should replace the tires every third season, but we do a lot of miles and the trailer is stored outside. I did not replace the tires at the beginning of 2009 like I should have (being cheap) and we had 3 blowouts that summer, one causing damage and another almost wrecking the trailer. Not a good decision. :(

I have a combination of Goodyear and Maxxis tires and they all seem fine. I probably won't try Carlisle again, but that maybe superstition more than fact. The Goodyears were made in China for a while and I heard they had a lot of trouble with them as well.

To answer your original question, I would skip directly to Go and put 225-15's on it. Running at 65% capacity is always better than 80%.

DaveW
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 Apr 2011 12:57 AM

we just had this discussion within the last year or so, you might want to look up that thread as well as take a peak at the Kumho trailer tires on the TireRack site2x the load

edit: skip the Kumho tire suggestion, Tirerack only lists 14" sizes http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Radial+857

the 225D marathon tire is a little over 1" larger in diameter, if you can sacrifice 1/2" in fender clearance and extra bed height then that might be worth looking at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...hon+Radial

the Kumho tire above was an increase from 75 series to 80 series for me so I did about the same for diameter increase on my trailer just to get the D class range and 65 psig pressure rating, and my loaded trailer weight is less than 2x the tire load rating so I have a lot of safety factor ... but then I will tow at 80 mph where allowed ...

John V
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    22 Apr 2011 05:45 AM
    A few locals have been using Maxxis and have had good results. Lots of load range options here:

http://www.maxxis.com/Industrial/Tr...adial.aspx
    miataxr

--
    22 Apr 2011 08:21 AM

One more vote for Maxxis. Had the Goodyears, and the Carlisle. Maxxis by far the best. I run the E rated tire, 24' enclosed trailer pushing 8700 lbs loaded...like others have said, about a 3 year life no matter the tread depth. The Maxxis balanced out the best of all (little to no balance weight needed), and pulls the best. The trailer seems not to sway around near as much as with the others. I also go as far as rotating the tires at the beginning of the season and once during the towing season and store the trailer on jack stands. I've seen too many trailer tire issues to mess around with that variable.

Joe

lharts

--
    22 Apr 2011 08:40 AM
    i always inflate 5 psi over max, and run my hands over them offten to feel for bumps where the tread is starting to seperate,,, store inside or cover them up to keep the sun off of them
    BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Apr 2011 09:32 AM
    Too bad the Kumhos only come in 14" size. I have had them for a few years and they're great. Wear has been exceptional and they tow straight as an arrow. Only on a 15' open so they are way overkill in D load rating.
    ITC Racer

--
    14 May 2011 09:14 PM
    Is there a good place (relatively inexpensive) to buy tire/wheel assemblies? Maxis or goodyear
    Rich Grunenwald
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 May 2011 10:27 PM
    I bought a couple at Tractor Supply Company. The ones I bought have Kenda trailer tires on them. They are spares for me.

---