Piano Hinge for Rear Door Ramp
 6 Replies
Author Messages
Mugenlude
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
11 May 2011 07:38 PM

I'm looking to add a ramp to the rear door of the trailer, which means I need to get a piano hinge... I went on McMaster-Carr and there are a crap load of them, and without seeing someone's trailer in front of me I'm not quite sure the size or weight requirements I need.

Does anyone have a suggestion (or part number) of a piano hinge that would be used on a car trailer? I'd like something stainless steel, and something that isn't going to drop the ramp on the car. =)

Thanks.

Mugenlude
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    14 May 2011 04:30 PM
    anyone?
    Bullitt2954
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    14 May 2011 04:47 PM
    McMaster only has two load-rated hinges in stainless - neither of which I'd consider suitable for this use.

As to UN-Rated, I don't know how big the trailer is, what your dimensions and door material are, etc. - but I would not use anything smaller than PN# 1582A642 for say a 1" plywood (or 59/64ths or whateverthehell they pass-off as that size for plywood, nowadays) 8'x8' door. Might even go up to a 3/8" pin size, but I've seen 1/4" pin hinges on a few different trailers. I've also seen what amounts to essentially two large gate-hinges with a 3/8" pin used for drop-doors. On "brand name" trailers.

This is not actual engineering advice: merely my own opinion.

Mugenlude
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 May 2011 03:45 PM
    We have a smaller trailer, door about 7' wide... I'm not talking about a hinge for the main rear door though, I'm talking about a hinge for a ramp that would go from the opened rear door to the ground... so a 7'-0" wide x ~3'-0" long piece of wood, maybe with some diamond plate on it. So we are talking about 100-125 pounds of weight.

Edit: The small little extension is what I'm talking about... some places are calling it a flap.

Bullitt2954
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 May 2011 04:14 PM
    Ah, I see now - I read it originally as: you were converting say a side-hinged door to a ramp door, or adding a large drop-down ramp; mea culpa .

In that case, I'd just go with McMaster PN# 12075A62, 1658A847, or even 1658A867, depending on if you want to pay for shiny or not, and the dimensions of your trailer.

If you install the lip the same way as pictured, note that the hinge does not support all that much force - look closely and you'll see the hinge-edge of the board is resting on a small ledge. Virtually anything you put there (that will support the weight of the board) will work. You weakest link is going to be the method of attachment (i.e. fasteners), which will be dependent on how thick your door is, and personal preference of what type of fastener you want to use (wood screws, machine screws and washers & nuts, etc.).

Matt93SE
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 May 2011 04:45 PM
    Don't know about which one to pick, but the aluminum hinge that came on my 24' pace is about dead. going to have to replace it soon.

I already replaced the plywood 'flap' last fall when the screws stripped out of the original. I would recommend buying t-nuts and using machine screws on the flap side of the hinge.
    All of the weight of the car is on that board, at least the way mine sits anyway.

I have also seen a few guys cut some wood wedges to screw onto the underside of the flap so the weight of the car goes through them to the ground, instead of being transferred to the door through the hinge. That should help the hinge last a lot longer. just be careful when loading the trailer on uneven surfaces to make sure you don't jack the door up or anything.
    Mugenlude
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 May 2011 06:32 PM
    Thanks for the information guys, I appreciate it.

---