Go to previous topic
Go to next topic
Last Post 20 May 2011 10:40 AM by  tholt29
Time for new Tires for the tow truck. Recommendations?
 4 Replies
Author Messages
Matt93SE
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 May 2011 04:39 PM

Have an 02 F250 powerstroke. yeah, I got the 7.3 :)

It currently has 265/75/16 Pirelli Scorpion STR on it. rear tires are nearly bald. fronts are in great shape, as they look like they were replaced shortly before I bought the truck last spring.

This is my first decent size truck, and the only thing I do with it is tow my 24' enclosed trailer to and from the track. No need for all-terrains or anything, as the only off-road use it sees is 100ft of my gravel driveway.

Thus, I want something nice and quiet for the highway and will last me a while.

Should I stick with the Pirellis, or what else do you guys recommend?

Thanks! :)

cashmo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 May 2011 05:43 PM
    BFG Commercial T/A, great for towing.
    Impala SS AutoXer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 May 2011 08:23 PM

For what it's worth, I'm on my second set of the Pirelli's (1st set was 265/70R17 on some Hummer H2 wheels, second set is 265/75R16 on some 16x8 wheels).

First set lasted roughly 50K miles, and had some tread left (4-5 32nds) when I took off the tires. Second set is about 20K miles in and wearing fine.

Use is same as yours : towing to/from races mostly, on-road.

Obviously, I was happy enough with the first set to buy them again

thehammer69

--
    20 May 2011 06:31 AM
    Matt93SE wrote:

Have an 02 F250 powerstroke. yeah, I got the 7.3 :)

It currently has 265/75/16 Pirelli Scorpion STR on it. rear tires are nearly bald. fronts are in great shape, as they look like they were replaced shortly before I bought the truck last spring.

This is my first decent size truck, and the only thing I do with it is tow my 24' enclosed trailer to and from the track. No need for all-terrains or anything, as the only off-road use it sees is 100ft of my gravel driveway.

Thus, I want something nice and quiet for the highway and will last me a while.

Should I stick with the Pirellis, or what else do you guys recommend?

Thanks! :)

I pretty much gave the same truck.,,, Except it's a 2001. IMHO, the best tire you can put on it is the Goodyear Silent Armour Pro-grade. Make sure you get the Pro-grade version as it's weight rating is very good.

You don't want under rated tires like I used to have and then tow an enclosed trailer like i did and blow a tire out because it was under rated.

Also, if you want larger tires, the 285/16 fits on the OEM wheel and looks really good on the truck.

tholt29
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 May 2011 10:40 AM
    I have an 02 Powerstroke like yours and a similar trailer... I was really happy with the Michelin LTX All season in the 265-75-16 Load range E. When it was time for replacement, I decided to save some $ and I tried the Toyo Open country based on good web reviews. They scared the crap out of me at first. Handling is much worse than the Michelin. I had to boost the pressure to 70psi all around to reduce the vague feel on turn in. I have gotten used to it now, but I will not be buying a second set.

Tom

---