renting a trailer and tow vehicle
 16 Replies
Author Messages
mattm
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
30 May 2011 08:59 AM
    I'm starting to research renting a trailer and tow vehicle. A few roadblocks I've hit is that the national rental car cos. aren't thrilled about their vehicles towing (they specifically prohibit it). Renting a small box truck is costly (think .79 a mile, that'll add up fast with 1,300 miles one way). I am looking for thoughts and suggestions for getting my BMW 318i out to Lincoln in August.
    CodeMonkey

--
    30 May 2011 12:57 PM
    mattm wrote:
    I'm starting to research renting a trailer and tow vehicle. A few roadblocks I've hit is that the national rental car cos. aren't thrilled about their vehicles towing (they specifically prohibit it). Renting a small box truck is costly (think .79 a mile, that'll add up fast with 1,300 miles one way). I am looking for thoughts and suggestions for getting my BMW 318i out to Lincoln in August.

Why are you thinking of renting vs driving out? After towing for several years, I'd have to think hard about towing again if I didn't have to (like if I was driving a stock car). Nats will be a $1000 gas bill @ $4/gal with any truck/trailer you could rent reasonably. I'd think that finding someone to haul tires out or putting a hitch on the 318 would be the better option (btw, I've got a BMW hitch in the garage if you wanted to go that route)

-Mike

mattm
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 May 2011 06:11 PM
    It was the wife who had suggested the rental route. The numbers do not make any sense. She is concerned about wear and tear on the 318i. I can get 12 tires (plus the spare) inside the car. Comfort is limited. I was happy I only had to drive with that much crap to the NJ Pro one way (someone was taking possession of eight of the tires). Taking a set of Hoosier Wets and a set of A6s I still have a lot of room. No need to bog myself down with a trailer. Plus I was hearing the horror stories of tolls with a trailer too. And i forgot about gas prices, too. Must have been the light blue Tesla parked in my parking lot that had me forgetting about gasoline. :)
    4manracing

--
    30 May 2011 07:09 PM

Heya, You could always see if someone would take your tires out there for you or get a co driver with a tow vehicle.

Liz

vreihen16

--
    30 May 2011 09:23 PM
    mattm wrote:
    Must have been the light blue Tesla parked in my parking lot that had me forgetting about gasoline. :)

I don't have a Tesla sitting in my driveway, but have only purchased 10.1 gallons of gasoline in the past two years since I bought a diesel pickup. :-)

If you still want to tow out to Lincoln, how much cheaper would the rental/mileage be if you rented a small RV and towed your car behind it? A couple of overnight stops at the Wal-Mart campgrounds along the way might make up for the extra fuel costs in hotel savings.

Of course, I have to add an obligatory warning about trailering your car to an event. I made the mistake of renting an open U-Haul trailer for the Seneca Tour last year, because the submarine had not been driven in almost two years and I didn't want to stress the car on a road trip just like your wife's rationale. At the end of the weekend, it took longer for us to take the magnetics off than it did to load up the car onto the trailer to head home. This was the first time that I ever left an event without having to change back to street tires, and it felt good to hit the road without that task at the end of a long weekend. I call it a mistake because it led to the purchase of a 24' aluminum enclosed trailer, which now fills up 3/4 of our driveway and still has a $1,500 to-do list before it is fully outfitted for weekends in the paddock. Don't say that nobody warned you..... :-)

EWCMR2
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Jun 2011 11:34 AM
    You could setup a auto transport. Get a group of New Englanders together and fill the entire truck and it doesn't cost that much per person. CalClub does it every year.
    http://forums.solo2.com/viewtopic.p...ort#p58919
    IntegraR0064
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Jun 2011 01:22 PM
    Good topic. How much should renting an RV cost? I looked at a couple places locally and it was insanity - like even for a class B camber van it was like in the thousands of dollars for a weekend.
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Jun 2011 08:05 PM
    look at a U-Haul pickup truck or cargo van and trailer option, worst case you might have to get a 10 foot box truck if they don't allow either the pickup or van options to tow
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    repost
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    wtf, major repost
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Jun 2011 08:06 PM
    wtf, major repost fail
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    wtf, major repost fail
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    wtf, major repost fail
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    wtf, major repost fail
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    wtf, major repost fail to the max
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Jun 2011 08:11 PM
    mattm wrote:

In the past I have seen car carriers show up before the Pros, and then reappear after Nats and haul 6-8 cars to one coast or the other. The other reasonable choice is rent a trailer and pick up or van from one of your Region members that is not coming to Nats.

gbeaird

--
    24 Jun 2011 12:10 PM
    Yep. It's expensive. Even if you rent an RV, EVEN one with a trailer hitch. Most rental cos. explicitly forbid towing, even if it's your own trailer. I figured I'd do this, so we could take our herd with us to events, but after fuel, rental, mileage (the killer), it's still cheaper to put the pups in a kennel, have a house-sitter for the other animals and put us up in a hotel after towing our car with our own truck and trailer. I'm still trying to figure out how to do it, but haven't come up with a solution yet.

---