Trailer brake controllers
 5 Replies
Author Messages
snaponbob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
13 Nov 2011 03:32 PM

For those that have true proportional brake controllers (such as a Prodigy P2 http://www.tekonsha.com/content/pro...part=90885 ), you can help me preach to the uninitiated !!. These things are just fantastic. No more adjusting the controller for low speed (parking lots, gas stations) and then tweaking it for the highway. No more herky jerky at toll booths. Just nice, smooth brake action at any speed.

My first experience with these was after installing one on the KC Region tow van. Just a huge advantage. Now I have installed one on my tow van with the result that my formally PIA trailer brakes are WONDERFUL to live with. The P2 retails for about $155 but I grabbed a new one via a Google search for $100 shipped. WAY worth the money.

atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    14 Nov 2011 04:02 AM
    Best controller evar! Used it when I had a 20' enclosed towed by an Excursion with AirLift air springs, bigger rear bar, sway control and equalizing hitch. Set it and leave it alone.
    Scoob
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Nov 2011 11:57 AM
    I've used the Prodigy for the last 4 years, towing various trailers including the 28' toy hauler now. Using first an Expedition and for the last two years a diesel Excursion. Never a moment's problem with it once it's set correctly. Read the instructions and it should do everything you want/need it to do in very short order.
    mcolangelo2005

--
    18 Nov 2011 12:22 PM
    +1 on the Prodigy. Mine replaced a cheap-o brake controller on my F-150 and it works so much better.
    Foglght
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Nov 2011 01:50 PM
    I have always wondered if something like the prodigy existed. It's always a pain in the arse with a manual transmission diesel and the exhaust brake to have a clunky brake controller.
    vreihen16

--
    18 Nov 2011 06:48 PM
    I've already posted my opinion on the Prodigy P2 being superior to the P3, due to the use of a tri-axis accelerometer in the P2. Glad to hear that you're having good luck with the P2.....

---