Towing with a dolly
 12 Replies
Author Messages
WYSIWYG
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
22 Mar 2012 05:41 PM
    Is this doable for 900miles each way trip to Lincoln, NE? or maybe just a towbar + rental moving van. I have never used these equipment or towed anything aside from a tire trailer.
    how about car shippers? I wonder if this is an option these days
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Mar 2012 08:16 AM
    Having used car shippers in the past, they will not give you dates certain for pick up and delivery. They usually will get close. Renting a U-haul truck trailer will be expensive as they charge mileage on the moving van. Have you tried to borrow a pick up and trailer from someone in your region?
    WYSIWYG
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Mar 2012 10:15 AM
    Yeah, looked up the rental van and its a minimum of $1 a mile, so thats an easy $2k.
    Believe it or not, I forgot I got an 4.4l X5 for my wife and kid and I just realized I should just use that to tow and get them a rental for the week.. maybe i'll get them an upgrade too to sweeten the deal

Also maybe I can't really consider the tow dolly option since the car being towed is AWD. If I had to unbolt the rear diff then I lose the 'extra convenience' of unloading the tow vehicle in case I get into problems.
    i guess its time I pay attention to the guys who bring trailer'd cars and see what extra stuff/ramps etc they have
    thanks
    David Lehman
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Mar 2012 12:34 PM
    Personally I have always had a fantasy about towing with DOLLY. But I could never get past the many things that would get in the way :

1) Very difficult to see my passenger side mirror as her giant jugs would be in the way

2) I don't like country music enough to just listen to it alone for a long drive.

3) I would always have to check with her security detail and make sure they were behind us.

4) God forbid I got into an accident, and the air bag in my pickup collided with the bags in her chest.....there might be a cataclysmic explosion (kinda like matter meeting anti-matter)
    vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Mar 2012 09:01 PM
    If the X5 has a 5,000 pound towing capacity, you can rent a U-Haul car trailer for the week and not worry about the AWD on a tow dolly. Another option is to check and see if someone in your home region has an open trailer to lend/rent for the week.....
    WYSIWYG
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Mar 2012 01:53 AM
    LOL@ Lehman

I'm going to finally make it to Lincoln this year, I hope. U-haul might be the best way since I'll get some security and support, plus their trailers seem a lot lower than the ones I can borrow
    we'll see. thanks
    vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Mar 2012 11:09 AM
    I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that renting a U-Haul trailer for a Tour event a few years ago was the biggest mistake of my autox life! At the end of the weekend, I drove the car on, fastened the two straps, and drove home. No wrestling with changing tires, etc. The mistake part was that I decided when I got home that I would never take my car to another event unless it was on a trailer. Long story short, I've got a 24' portable aluminum garage/man cave on wheels in my driveway now, and my pockets are significantly lighter.

Instead of renting, you might want to look at racingjunk.com and watch for a cheap open trailer near you. Even if you only wind up using it once, you should be able to flip it and will probably still come out ahead versus renting for the week. I'll bet that once you try it, you'll be looking for a tow vehicle and trailer anyway.

As for support on the road, a whole bunch of us from the local area would caravan to big events. If you're concerned with problems during the trip, traveling with other local drivers should put your mind at ease.....
    WYSIWYG
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Mar 2012 12:21 PM
    I thought I would be able to own a trailer when I moved to Houston, but it turns out its not possible if you picked a house near civilization. I think trailer storage would be more than I would pay for to rent once a year. I'm campaigning in street tire class this year so I'm enjoying a bit of arrive and drive. maybe for another 6months until I get back to the SM car
    I'll start figuring out whos going, hoping to find someone who'll need arrive for tue-wed heats
    thanks
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Mar 2012 06:17 PM
    I did it for several years all across the country. As in any towing scenario the equipment and detail prep matter. There should be an archived thread already on this subject with all of the details. I'm not in the mood to retype it all again.
    WYSIWYG
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Mar 2012 12:48 AM
    No worries. I got a few months to get this sorted. just wanted to visit some alternatives, even the tow bar thinger :)
    S2kTas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Mar 2012 03:43 PM
    snaponbob wrote:
    Having used car shippers in the past, they will not give you dates certain for pick up and delivery. They usually will get close. Renting a U-haul truck trailer will be expensive as they charge mileage on the moving van. Have you tried to borrow a pick up and trailer from someone in your region?

Along this line, another consideration would be to get a group of drivers from your area, and rent one Car Hauler (can't remember how many cars they carry 8 - 10), to deliver and return all of your cars on one truck load. Several groups of drivers have done this. Not sure how much the cost was......maybe one of the people that have done this will post the details and costs associated with the Truck Load move.

Joe

WYSIWYG
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Mar 2012 09:39 AM
    I'll look out for that. Thanks Joe
    Mister Alexander

--
    09 May 2012 09:08 AM
    Be sure to carry a spare tire with dolly towing!

---