A/C Evap Core for Auto Trans Cooler?
 4 Replies
Author Messages
atcovan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
22 Jun 2012 04:45 AM
    For about the same price, an A/C Evaporator core looks like 4x, and more, the cooling capacity of a regular automatic trans cooler. What are the downsides, if any?
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    22 Jun 2012 07:38 AM
    Transmission coolers CAN be too big. Unless you are experiencing trans temp issues, don't fix what ain't broke. A transmission that is too cool will not live as long as one that is operating at proper temps. Hopefully not telling what you already know. If you do need more cooling capacity, the expression "the right tool for the right job" holds true here as well. Find the current capacity of you current cooler and step up from there.

Question - do you NEED a bigger cooler, or do you THINK you need one?
    atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Jun 2012 10:29 AM
    snaponbob wrote:Transmission coolers CAN be too big. Unless you are experiencing trans temp issues, don't fix what ain't broke. A transmission that is too cool will not live as long as one that is operating at proper temps. Hopefully not telling what you already know. If you do need more cooling capacity, the expression "the right tool for the right job" holds true here as well. Find the current capacity of you current cooler and step up from there.Question - do you NEED a bigger cooler, or do you THINK you need one?

Hi, Bob. I was just thinking about capacity for the dollar. Those evap cores are tested to 150 lbs, so it seemed a better value for a really heavy duty application.
    mitchman
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Jun 2012 12:18 PM
    A Little Off Topic:

Our 2005 F-150 FX4 (4WD) has the stock tow package. I installed a trans temp gauge and I'm glad I did. While towing 3500 lbs over a mountain pass, the trans temp can reach 200 degrees or more if I let it. But with the temp gauge I can keep an eye on it and choose the appropriate gear. I'd love to upgrade to something with a 6-speed transmission because I think it would help. Right now, the temp rises when ever you're "between gears". The way I understand it the torque converter will unlock giving you a gear between 2nd and 3rd. If I can prevent it from unlocking, the temp won't build.

AMCjavelin74

--
    06 Oct 2015 12:15 PM
    Posted By mitchman on 27 Jun 2012 12:18 PM
    A Little Off Topic:

Our 2005 F-150 FX4 (4WD) has the stock tow package. I installed a trans temp gauge and I'm glad I did. While towing 3500 lbs over a mountain pass, the trans temp can reach 200 degrees or more if I let it. But with the temp gauge I can keep an eye on it and choose the appropriate gear. I'd love to upgrade to something with a 6-speed transmission because I think it would help. Right now, the temp rises when ever you're "between gears". The way I understand it the torque converter will unlock giving you a gear between 2nd and 3rd. If I can prevent it from unlocking, the temp won't build.

Do what he did.  Start with a transmission temp gauge.  If you're dropping the pan upgrading to a high capacity (mag-hytec I think is a company that makes these) is not a bad idea... more fluid=a lower percentage of contaminates, slower to temperature increases on the long hill, etc.  Best of all, unlike an actual add-on cooler, you're not introducing additional failure points to your tow vehicle.

If your transmission is still running hot, then I'd look into an aftermarket cooler.

---