Tire trailer for 315s
 30 Replies
Author Messages
SMSupercoupe
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Dec 2009 06:55 PM
    I think perhaps the time has come for me to get a tire trailer instead of putting two tires on the back seat, one under the hatch, and one in the passenger seat of my Camaro. Most of the tire trailer pics I've seen have been for little cars with little tires, though, so I was hoping some Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, or other big car guys toting big tires might have some input and maybe even some pics of a good trailer to fit my needs. Thanks!
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Dec 2009 07:46 PM

Although I avoid the Chinese junk palace called Harbor Freight like the plague, I did purchase their little utility trailer (the upgrade version with the 12" wheels) for my race rubber (WAS 295x18 A6s, and now 315 A6s) and have been VERY satisfied. Very early on I bought some REAL tail light assemblies from a trailer supply house to replace the trash that came with it. Also, the grease fittings on the wheel hubs were just as bad. With that done, this has been a great little piece of kit. I did put a marine plywood deck on it. I stand of the tires side by side on the front half with motorcycle ratchet straps that I hook to the sides, and the back half has a big blow molded box for all the needed tools. Handy given that I Solo a Sky !!!!

HTH some. <!--Session data-->

ShawnAlexander

--
    29 Dec 2009 09:15 PM

I built mine.

Primetime Glick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Dec 2009 11:44 AM

If money is not an object you could look into a trick aluminum/diamondplate setup from SS Trailers, but I'm not sure this guy is in business anymore. The ones I've seen look top-notch. http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/366955.aspx

For similar $$ maybe you can adapt a Trailex "sports utility" trailer.

Or, get a low-buck one from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool and build it up like others have said.

Most people around this list seem to have custom-built theirs. You might want to comb the for-sale section, but like open car haulers they tend to get held onto (i.e., they're useful and don't have much resale).

TravisD
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Dec 2009 02:59 PM

I haven't done 4x315's, but I use a Tractor Supply 4x6 trailer and it would easily carry 2x315 + 2x275's side-by-side. Measure up the stack and see if it'll fit in a 48" opening or not. I added a single piece of angle iron (bolted on) to keep the tires together. I did end up welding a couple of pieces on to support the gear box, after discovering the expanded-metal flooring does not like that kind of abuse. I use a ratchet strap to keep them from moving around/rubbing, and a ~6' kryptonite cable to secure them (even when not in a bad area - the ratchet strap has come loose one me a couple of times...)

The 4x6 is big enough to easily carry 2 rows of big tires and the gear box if you space it out right. All steel too, so modifications are pretty simple. If 4x315's dont' fit in 1 row, you could probably arrange them in two rows instead, or maybe turn them 90 degrees.

Another plus of the TSC trailer is that it comes with a nice MVA-friendly Certificate of Origin - something that I've heard the HF type trailer kits sometimes have problems with. Pick up a spare tires/wheel too. I can carry 4x275's plus the trailer spare in one row

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Dec 2009 05:23 PM
    TravisD wrote:

Another plus of the TSC trailer is that it comes with a nice MVA-friendly Certificate of Origin - something that I've heard the HF type trailer kits sometimes have problems with. Pick up a spare tires/wheel too. I can carry 4x275's plus the trailer spare in one row

Seriously valid point about the CoO. At the store they were aware of this, were VERY specific out the CoO, and even wrote on the receipt that the state sales tax HAD been paid at the store. This was done so that Mo. DMV did not charge the tax a second time. The store charges the tax since this is a KIT with a VIN, not a finished vehicle.

Mo. DMV is quite easy to deal with. NOTHING like Travis has to deal with in Maryland where I lived for over 45 years. Md DMV is just awful, or certainly was.

<!--Session data-->
    mattm
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Dec 2009 05:41 PM
    Look into a Trailex Tire Toter. Great trailer and it's light too. I pulled eight 18" wheels for my 996. I am currently letting a DE instructor for NNJ PCA use it to pull behind his GT3. I cannot find it on the Trailex site, so you may have to call them (how eighties!).
    mattm
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Dec 2009 05:49 PM
    Trailer before some modifications.
    SMSupercoupe
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Dec 2009 06:51 PM
    Thanks for the info, everyone. My stack of 315s sits 50-51 inches high, so that's one reason I'm reluctant to buy a 4-foot wide trailer sight unseen.
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Dec 2009 07:33 PM

SMSupercoupe wrote:
    Thanks for the info, everyone. My stack of 315s sits 50-51 inches high, so that's one reason I'm reluctant to buy a 4-foot wide trailer sight unseen.

Just back home from a 48 hour stay at a K.C. hospital for some minor knee work. Tomorrow I will shoot and post some pics of my trailer with the tires strapped to it.

Davidss
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Dec 2009 11:42 PM

SMSupercoupe wrote:

I would setup the tires in 2 vertical stacks not all side by side. If they are stacked vertically it doesn't matter if they are 195s or 335s.

I have the lowest end harbor freight 4'x4' trailer (the one with the 8" wheels) and I'm glad I didn't get anything bigger. It's big enough for a large box and 4 Z06 wheels/tires or up to 8 Honda wheels/tires.

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Dec 2009 06:54 AM
    Davidss wrote:

SMSupercoupe wrote:

I would setup the tires in 2 vertical stacks not all side by side. If they are stacked vertically it doesn't matter if they are 195s or 335s.

I have the lowest end harbor freight 4'x4' trailer (the one with the 8" wheels) and I'm glad I didn't get anything bigger. It's big enough for a large box and 4 Z06 wheels/tires or up to 8 Honda wheels/tires.

Respectfully, the 12" wheels/tires are vastly better for highway towing. Those poor little 8" tires must be breaking the sound barrier at 75mph.

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Dec 2009 11:27 AM

Here are the pics. I have used the supplied u-bracket to mount a spare tire/wheel to the back and added the front jack wheel. Also added are the eye bolts for the straps. Got anal this summer and spray bombed the trailer to match the car (like THAT matters). When I replace the 18x9's with 18x11's the stack of tires will become about 5 inches wider so I may have to install some sort of outriggers for the outside tires. If the wheels have center holes, I may pile them up in pairs. YTBD.

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

mattm
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Dec 2009 01:58 PM
    snaponbob wrote:
    Respectfully, the 12" wheels/tires are vastly better for highway towing. Those poor little 8" tires must be breaking the sound barrier at 75mph.
    FWIW, Trailex recommended to NOT use 12" wheels. When I first bought the trailer I called them about getting larger wheels (they came with 8" ones). The person there said they recommend staying with the 8" to avoid the "basket ball effect" with a larger wheel. The side view pic of my trailer is with a 12" wheel that the guy with the GT3 put on for the same reasoning as you posted. I'm inclined to go with what the manufacturer says. Heck, the guy on the phone would have generated revenue for the sale, but advised me not to.
    mattm
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Dec 2009 02:00 PM

Also that Trailex trailer holds eight 18" tires, and I even had room for a couple extra 8" trailer wheels (they fit inside the 18" wheels).

Here's a link to Trailex's brochure. The Tire Toter is on the first page, lower left corner:

http://www.trailex.com/Literature/A...ochure.pdf

If you look at the left hand picture in this link, you'll see an enclosed small trailer that you could put the tires inside and out of "harm's view." I think it is called a "Trail Gator" but I can find no reference to it.

http://www.trailex.com/show.cfm

Rodney

--
    01 Jan 2010 06:40 AM
    snaponbob wrote:

SCCAForums Image

f those silly ass straps..... i run a tractor supply 4x6 that i modded to (8) 295 width and one spare. trailer even holds the top for my s2000. :)

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

since the pics, i did a few more mods, including a shackle spring conversion. i put 15,000 miles on that trailer this year alone. handles 80+ with ease... :)

Rodney

--
    01 Jan 2010 06:57 AM

mattm wrote:
    FWIW, Trailex recommended to NOT use 12" wheels.

matt, the guy at trailex is a friggin idiot. basketball effect? wtf is that? my trailer is dead nuts stable at triple digit speeds (in theory :) ) 8" wheels have a 16" diamter, whereas the 12's are 20" in diameter. i went through 3 sets of bearings this year, i could only imagine that would have been 5 sets or more if i had the smaller wheels. bearings would have 20% more mileage and spun much faster at 80mph vs the taller tire. :P judging by my bearing wear, with 8's they would have probably exploded.

edit: just did some quick math. 20" tire will rotate 1,008 times per mile. 16" tire will rotate 1,260 times per mile. so, the 15,000 miles i put on my trailer this year would equate to: 15,120,000 w/12's & 18,900,000 w/8's. that is 4million difference. :) i should work for trailex, seems like an easy job :P

mattm
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Jan 2010 07:46 AM

Rodney wrote:
    matt, the guy at trailex is a friggin idiot.
    So tell us how you really feel. [:)]

Bullitt2954
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Jan 2010 08:44 AM
    mattm wrote:

Also that Trailex trailer holds eight 18" tires, and I even had room for a couple extra 8" trailer wheels (they fit inside the 18" wheels).

Here's a link to Trailex's brochure. The Tire Toter is on the first page, lower left corner:

http://www.trailex.com/Literature/A...ochure.pdf

They look good, but I think your Trailex salesman must have been new - the one in the brochure pic appears to have 12" wheels. I've heard of the "basketball effect" before - but only on an unloaded trailer; with too-small of wheels (being literally "dragged through the air" over potholes and bumps). Wheel Bearing longevity is the name of the game in going to larger wheels.

mattm
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Jan 2010 10:22 AM

Okay so was the guy "new" or a "friggin' idiot?" [:)]

It is sort of moot since the "leasee" of the trailer switched to 12" wheels. One of these days I'll go back to a car that has to pull tires 'cause they won't fit inside. At least someone is making use of it, better than sitting unused. It's too nice a trailer to sell.

Bullitt2954
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Jan 2010 01:03 PM
    mattm wrote:

Okay so was the guy "new" or a "friggin' idiot?" [:)]

It is sort of moot since the "leasee" of the trailer switched to 12" wheels. One of these days I'll go back to a car that has to pull tires 'cause they won't fit inside. At least someone is making use of it, better than sitting unused. It's too nice a trailer to sell.

"Friggin' Idiot Newbie"? [8-|]

boardkat
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Jan 2010 01:24 PM
    sigh... really wish the nearest tractor supply wasn't >500 miles away, and/or they shipped the 4x6 [:'(]
    chris, sent you an email.
    Bullitt2954
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Jan 2010 11:07 AM

boardkat wrote:
    sigh... really wish the nearest tractor supply wasn't >500 miles away, and/or they shipped the 4x6 [:'(]
    chris, sent you an email.

Tractor Supply...the stuff you need out here.........How you get it here is up to you...........

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    02 Jan 2010 08:13 PM

1) Those "silly ass straps" have been working great for three full seasons.

2) The 8" vs. 12" wheel/tire issue has been addressed. That guy IS an idiot.

3) Tows great even at 85 mph, I just don't travel at those speeds much when towing.

4) People can spend as much as they like, and engineer as heavily as they wish, but for 18-20 Solo events a year mine is fine. Just wanted something big enough to haul what I needed (Solstice/Sky have just NO trunk space) and when emptied I could stand up against the wall.

<!--Session data-->
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Jan 2010 06:51 AM
    snaponbob wrote:

1) Those "silly ass straps" have been working great for three full seasons. <!--Session data-->

For theft deterrence I run plastic coated bicycle security cable through tires and the car when I'm going to have overnight stops. Too easy to cut straps.

Dick

CM 85

John V
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Jan 2010 10:39 AM

Anyone running 12" wheels, do yourself a huge favor and go to Tire Rack and buy a set of Yokohama Y372 tires. They're meant for a Ford Festiva. They have more than enough load rating for a tire trailer and they increase the rolling diameter over the bias tires that come on those trailers. They also run cooler, bounce less (read: not at all), don't tramline, don't lose traction in the rain...

I know they're not trailer tires, but they've worked great for me. They just barely fit under my trailer. I raised the fenders slightly to accommodate them.

Also: I despise those ratchet straps. They are OK for keeping the tires from bouncing around but you must must must use some manner of positive retention (like a bar, or a cable or something). The straps are just too likely to move around. I've seen too many people lose tires on the freeway.

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Jan 2010 11:50 AM
    John V wrote:

Also: I despise those ratchet straps. They are OK for keeping the tires from bouncing around but you must must must use some manner of positive retention (like a bar, or a cable or something). The straps are just too likely to move around. I've seen too many people lose tires on the freeway.

Understand all that. But like any tool, used properly, they are great. I do use tow of them, and have a third in the tub. I trusted them to hang on to BMW R90S and other expensive bikes, so figured that they were up to this task. Oh, and they always get checked for fraying. One of the reasons for the eye bolts is to have a more positive attachment point. Also, there are wood blocks f&r of the tires to prevent rolling. Heck, once I get home, the tires are actually STUCK together at the sidewalls.

solonut

--
    03 Jan 2010 09:48 PM
    get a HF 4x8 and lopp off 2ft off the back and move the axle forward.....
    DrJones_CMR
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    19 Mar 2010 05:24 AM

Did you ever get a tire trailer?

I am selling the one I used on my solstice. it fits 315's.

SMSupercoupe
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Mar 2010 07:33 AM
    Still don't have a trailer. Price, pictures to magnumpi@dock.net, please.
    boardkat
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Mar 2010 10:52 AM
    DrJones_CMR wrote:

Did you ever get a tire trailer?

I am selling the one I used on my solstice. it fits 315's.

emailed ya

---