Ford Super Duty cooling issues
 8 Replies
Author Messages
snaponbob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
21 Nov 2012 05:31 PM

I am passing along what I have learned today about 6.4 and 6.7 diesel F350 Super Duty Ford p/u's. Both versions have serious recurring radiator issues. There is a service bulletin on the 6.4 SDs extending the 3/36 coverage to 5/100 on the radiator. The 6.7s are having a common, and recurring, leak problem on their radiators as well, but so far no TSBs.

A close friend owns a 2011 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L diesel. Yesterday I used it to haul his BobCat back to his job site from the dealer. I noticed a coolant odor and told him about. Being that he was to out of town from this AM to Monday late PM, I offered to take the truck to a local dealership to be checked. Results? Leaking radiator. No big deal? Well, yes it is. The part is $800 and so is the labor, and with 38,700 miles, the coverage is exhausted. The dealership did speak with Ford and offered the repair for $350 as "good will". Not so bad, but an OEM radiator will be used, and the warranty on THAT is 12 months and 12,000 miles. A quick Google search yeilded the fact that these radiators are failing as early as 350 miles, with many owners having to replace the replacement radiators !!!!

So, 1) buyer beware, and 2) owners beware as well. I have NOT been able to find aftermarket radiators, but some Ford dealers sell them on line for ~$550.

jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Nov 2012 09:20 PM

And remember that the only people that post anything about a product on the Internet are the ones that had a problem....... Just saying.

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Nov 2012 09:49 PM
    And there are those that DON'T have problems --- and folks DO post that as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Nov 2012 06:37 PM
    I'm really trying to remain a loyal Ford guy, but these trucks have serious issues, glass transmissions and now crap radiators made poorly, and/or cheaply. Of all the components, a radiator should last the life of the truck.
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Nov 2012 07:28 PM

Jim - anybody bitching about Duramax/Allison combos? If I were EVER to consider a diesel P/U (probably NEVER given the oil needed, intervals, urea, and 20% more expensive fuel PLUS additives), it would be a GM. I lived with it long enough with my Freightliner/Cummins tool trucks. NEVER again.

vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Nov 2012 10:04 AM

My mechanic has a 2008 F-350. I recall him saying that the thing has multiple radiators squeezed under the hood. It has already been back to the dealership for a radiator problem, seized front disc caliper, a fuel pump, and the last trip was for an engine rebuild due to an injector sticking and washing a cylinder out. The most that he ever hauled with this truck is a loaf of bread, and the last time that I looked it was still under 30K miles. After the first cab removal, there are plenty of rattles and squeaks inside. Even after all of this, he still is thinking of trading it in on another Ford F-350. Must be into S&M or something..... :-)

atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Nov 2012 06:35 PM
    vreihen wrote:

My mechanic has a 2008 F-350. I recall him saying that the thing has multiple radiators squeezed under the hood. It has already been back to the dealership for a radiator problem, seized front disc caliper, a fuel pump, and the last trip was for an engine rebuild due to an injector sticking and washing a cylinder out. The most that he ever hauled with this truck is a loaf of bread, and the last time that I looked it was still under 30K miles. After the first cab removal, there are plenty of rattles and squeaks inside. Even after all of this, he still is thinking of trading it in on another Ford F-350. Must be into S&M or something..... :-)

Some people love familiar misery :) Perhaps Ford should have taken a few billion in government aid and beefed up their engineering skills.
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    25 Nov 2012 08:30 PM
    Ford had their own money. The problem that Mulalley has not yet addressed is Ford's LONG history of a culture that denies problems that result is huge class action suits. Most recent example is the 6.0 (and maybe the 6.4 as well) diesel class action that cost Ford a fortune. Ford has issued a TSB on the 6.4's that extends the warranty coverage on the radiator to 5/100, and it's common knowledge about the same part in the 6.7s. Also, the 6 speed A/T behind the 6.7 is "glass". LOTS of TSBs on THAT as well. I must admit that when my friends 2011 F350 SD is working properly it is a a delight. But multiple power train issues inside of 40K miles just is BS. And that is NOT uncommon. For Ford lovers, that is a shame.
    soloesp
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Nov 2012 10:26 PM
    I love my 2008 Chevy Silverado Crew Cabbin, Sweet Pulling, Duramax/Allison smooth shiftin power toy!

mw

---