Upgrading ratchet straps
 7 Replies
Author Messages
vreihen
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
01 Dec 2013 09:35 PM

I've had my enclosed trailer for 3.5 years now.  When I was loading up my car this afternoon for winter storage, I noticed that the ratchet straps were starting to get a bit frayed in spots from age and rubbing.  They are 2" straps with wire "J" hooks on the end, rated for 10K and a WLL of 3,333 pounds.  The trailer has four x 6,000 pound D-rings on the floor for holding the car.  I did zero research on tie-down systems when I bought the trailer, and just grabbed the straps that the dealer recommended off of his shelf.  Obviously, they are reaching the end of their life, and will need to be replaced before my first event of 2014.

My biggest gripe with the current straps has been that there was no safety catch on the hooks in case one went slack from bouncing.  In researching the strap options, I have come across this type with a locking tab at each hook:

It appears that the hooks are stamped from a flat piece of steel, and then bent 90 degrees at the thinnest spot so that the hooks are at a right angle to the straps.  Homey is not an engineer by a long shot, but this looks like an accident waiting to happen due to metal fatigue at the thinnest spot on the hook.  Am I over-reacting?  Has anyone ever seen this design break/fail?  It is rated for 10K/3,333 pounds WLL, so maybe I'm worried about nothing?  (The same design is available from multiple manufacturers, and the picture above was chosen just because it was the clearest view of the bend that I could find.)

Does anyone have another suggestion for the type of ratchet strap to use with D-rings?  Over the wheel nets aren't an option.....

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Dec 2013 10:59 PM

For what it may be worth I've been using a very similar looking 4 strap set since 1992 to secure my 950 lb formula car to an open trailer. Never any indication of a hook detaching. Check strap tension frequently. At the car the ratchet straps attach to axle straps which are wrapped around suspension points. Obviously 4 straps for a lightweight car leaves a lot of excess capacity if the webbing isn't damaged. 

Edit with correction: Mine don't have the narrow twisted neck like the ones in your picture. Mine look more like these:   http://customtiedowns.com/tie-downs...tie-downs/

Dick

CM 85

mlane350z
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Dec 2013 08:01 AM
    atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Dec 2013 03:48 AM
    Not a fan of the flat stamped style of hook. I've used the HaulMaster from Harbor Freight for decades without any failure. The ends are a continuous piece of heavy bar stock shaped into a double-J hook. The part the webbing goes through is smooth and round, so no wear on the strap. No, they haven't a safety clip, but I've never had a strap come loose and somehow "unhook" itself. I think Sams and Costco have the same style with 2" web.
    vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Dec 2013 07:16 PM
    Posted By mlane350z on 02 Dec 2013 08:01 AM
    I use these...

http://www.ogracing.com/g-force-ratchet-tie-down-3

Have you experienced any problems with bending/fatigue at the twist location on the hook?????

mtuhro

--
    03 Dec 2013 07:37 PM
    Go for the ones with the latch. One less thing to worry about.

I had to modify the tie downs on my car. If the strap was pulling at the wrong angle, it would smash the latch against the tie down and bend the latch. This makes the latch hard to release.
    mlane350z
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Dec 2013 07:38 PM
    Posted By vreihen on 03 Dec 2013 07:16 PM
    Posted By mlane350z on 02 Dec 2013 08:01 AM
    I use these...

http://www.ogracing.com/g-force-ratchet-tie-down-3

Have you experienced any problems with bending/fatigue at the twist location on the hook?????

No.

vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Dec 2013 07:44 PM
    Posted By DickR on 01 Dec 2013 10:59 PM

Mine don't have the narrow twisted neck like the ones in your picture. Mine look more like these:   http://customtiedowns.com/tie-downs/car-hauling-tie-downs/

That is an interesting web site!  They actually sell replacement straps with various hook hardware on the ends, at prices that make sense to re-web versus replace the entire strap.  They also apparently make custom straps.

One option that they have on 2" axle straps is a heavy-duty D-ring, that looks like a 6-point harness bolt-down mounting tab.  Combining that D-ring with a forged snap hook for a binder chain would make a flexible combination that's rated for more than 10K/3333 pounds WLL.  I'll have to take my tape measure out to the trailer and see what my different options are, to come up with a custom solution that works best for me.....

---