Go to next topic
Last Post 08 Apr 2010 04:18 AM by  Joe_914
2010 Nissan Frontier
 5 Replies
Author Messages
Pedro H

--
07 Apr 2010 09:58 AM

I'm considering buying a pick-up truck and have narrowed my choices down between an F150 and the Frontier (with the 4 liter V6 and 6-speed manual transmission). I plan on using the truck (once I finish my MBA in about a year) to tow an autocross car (2,500-3,000 lbs) about ten to twelve times a year -- a couple of those trips might invole long distances.

The F150 seems great, but its fuel mileage and size scare me a bit considering this would also be my daily-driver. On the towing side of things, it seems like it would cope with my expected loads easily. The Frontier, on the other hand, seems like it would be a good compromise as it can get decent fuel mileage and has more compact dimensions, but I'm not too sure about it's towing abilities aside from its 6,500 lb tow rating. I'm thinking that the total weight of the autocross car, trailer and tools might come within 500 to a 1,000 lbs of the 6,500 lb figure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Pedro

Joe_914
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Apr 2010 10:24 AM

Friend of mine has an older Frontier that pulls a CSP Miata on a smallish tandem axle trailer.

He has been towing with this rig for sometime. Issues have been stopping rather than pulling on the flat road. up hills and on ramps are pretty tough on the transmission.

We pulled his rig with my old F150 and he was in awe of the ease of towing.

Now of course I have a Diesel and the only thing we worry about is speeding tickets.

rigit
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Apr 2010 10:28 AM

I have a frontier, however its an older 2000 model. I like the truck but I will tell you right now your only going to get about 1-2mpg better than a full size. I average about 17 with it.

I have seen conflicting data on the tow rating. I have seen 5000 and 3500 for my year model. and my CSP miata and trailer with tools is really close to the 3500, about 100lbs short. the biggest limitation is the brakes. I had to make a 3 lane out of 2 once at a stoplight when both cars decided to stomp the brakes for a yellow. I slid (literally) inbetween them and stoped almost mirror to mirror on each side.

on a positive, my truck will likely roll over 300k miles this summer. I plan on upgrading this fall. and I will probably get a full size for more capability. mabe a Titan :-)

rigit
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    07 Apr 2010 10:30 AM

pretty sure Joe was talking about me.

we caravaned to BRLA once and I was following him and another diesel. all of us pullling our respective race cars. they were a mile down the road before I got off the entrance ramp. needless to say I set the pace.

Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Apr 2010 07:50 PM

My first tow vehicle was a V6. I towed with it for years and thought it was fine but I was always falling behind the V8s. When I upgraded to the V8 I finally realized what I had been missing. I wouldn't want to have to go back.

A couple of things to remember, south Florida is about as flat as it gets so you don't have to worry about mountains unless you are making quite a long trip. So you may be able to get away with the V6 a little better. But then its always better to err on the side of caution and go with the more capable truck. Remember that its not just the brakes that are undersized, so is the rear axle, transmission, etc...

If gas mileage is a big concern, hit the specific forums and do a quick survey.

Joe_914
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Apr 2010 04:18 AM

MPG of the trucks I've had.

94 Explorer 21 empty 13-15 towing and white knuckles every mile

99 F150 with stiffer suspension and air lift bags in the back bit tranny cooler, load range D tires and shift kit in trans and Edge tuner.

17-18MPG empty 11-12 towing and pretty much drama free except in high winds and hills would slow down

2000 F250 Diesel 19-20 empty 16.5 towing no complaints

---