Last Post 07 Jan 2017 06:28 AM by  AlexanderCage
Looking to buy a trailer for vette.. need input
 7 Replies
Author Messages
Conekilla

--
20 Apr 2016 03:10 AM
    Hi there,
    I have a vette that I would like to take to few nat events. I'm going to say 2-3 nat events and SCCA solo championship at lincoln. Regional events, i can actually drive. It's a street class corvette on street tires.  I just didn't wanna do 8 hour and 20 hours trips in the vette. (I'm in Northeast NJ)

I own a 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7L V8 3:55 gears 6 speed 4x4. Which should be able to pull some decent car trailers.

With limited numbers of nat events and only possible 3-4 trips a year, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. So I was looking at some of these trailers. perhaps keeping the budget low like sub $3000 (maybe $2600). I just bought a trailer brake module for the ram 1500 (http://goo.gl/fGOXLB) in case it goes out of stock before Wilmington Pro solo (which is very soon).

I have included some pics and specs below what I am looking at. I really DO want a aluminum one but they are almost TWICE the price.

Some questions i have

1. What's recommended size trailer for corvette? Can I do 16'? or must do 18'? How wide?

one brake axle included (electric drum on rear axle, second brake available) -- what does it mean? sorry totally new to trailing.

3. What's your thought? Do you have any recommendation for me? Anything I should look  for?

I'm really leaning toward that first one (full steel floor) but i know they run a bit heavy.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Attachments
    Eric1855
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Apr 2016 04:41 PM
    You'll want at least 18' long. 7' will be tight and you'll need a removable fender to get in and out of the car

You'll also want a dove tail it you'll need ramp extenders to get on the trailer

You definitely want the electric brakes but you'll need a brake controller for your truck if you don't have one

I used a 18' open trailer to pull my C5 and C6 before I sold it and moved to the 20' enclosed
    RBH

--
    05 May 2016 12:44 PM
    You may wan to consider something like this from Montrose Trailer

Grintch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 May 2016 10:55 AM
    Yes, being to get in and out of the car on the trailer is often a key limitation. Though using a winch to load can help avoid this issue, and is a giant help if you ever break the car. Need to consider your approach angles and the dove tail angle to make sure you don't rub or high center (long ramps help here). I would ask to "test drive" (load) the trailer before buying.

1 or 2 brakes is referring to the axles. 1 means only one set of axles/wheels is braked. I would want 2 for a 3000+ car.
    RBH

--
    17 May 2016 05:58 PM

Here is a new product from Montrose Trailers - Custom Aluminum Trailers - “Low Profile Power Tilt”

<!--

<!--

Eric1855
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 May 2016 10:27 AM
    Tilt bed + rain = bad times loading a rwd car
    RBH

--
    26 Oct 2016 03:49 PM

Posted By Eric1855 on 21 May 2016 10:27 AM
    Tilt bed + rain = bad times loading a rwd car

No issues in the rain.  The angle of  entry is  so small that it will not make any difference.  Also the floor and the ramp is made of  aluminum tread plate which provides anti-slip surface.

AlexanderCage

--
    07 Jan 2017 06:28 AM
    Purchasing a car trailer can be a difficult decision because there are many things to consider, but these also require a heavier vehicle such as a truck or tractor. Many of my relatives work in an auto transport company for many years and owns different types of trailers like car trailer, heavy load trailer, combo trailer etc from online companies like ebay, trailer superstore etc. I think enclosed trailers are better than open ones. You can check out these companies or something relevant to it for some help.Purchasing a car trailer can be a difficult decision because there are many things to consider, but these also require a heavier vehicle such as a truck or tractor. Many of my relatives work in an auto transport Bergen company for many years and owns different types of trailers like car trailer, heavy load trailer, combo trailer etc from online companies like ebay, trailer superstore etc. I think enclosed trailers are better than open ones. You can check out these companies or something relevant to it for some help.

---