Go to previous topic
Go to next topic
Last Post 21 May 2011 01:07 PM by  Rocwandrer
Where to get one of those tiny car trailers?
 19 Replies
Author Messages
Rocwandrer

--
26 May 2010 11:08 AM

I am in the market for one of those little car trailers that I sometimes see people with. Something that will be easy to load my low car onto, and safely haul 2100 lbs, but is too light and small to haul anything much bigger with. I can't find anybody locally that has any idea what I'm talking about. I'm in the northeast. I'd consider new or near new used.

I want an inexpensive but safe steel trailer that isn't going to cost me any more gas than it has to in order to haul my little car. The custom guys seem to want way more for a bare bones custom 900 lb 14' steel trailer than a standard 2100 lb 18' trailer, even though all the parts costs less, and welding up a smaller trailer frame isn't exactly a lot more difficult...

Anybody know who is making and/or distributing these?

Richard

SoloRT
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 May 2010 03:46 PM

Check your local www.craigslist.org for a used one, or look for a tow dolly

Ralt25
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 May 2010 04:24 PM

He is looking for a trailer to haul his car not his tires. Harbor Freight doesn't have any.

Sead

--
    03 Aug 2010 09:44 AM

Hi Richard,

Ever find such a trailer? I'm in the market for something similar...big enough for a car, but not too big and heavy overall. Did you consider an aluminum one?

Sead

mcfandango

--
    17 Nov 2010 12:10 PM

I have no idea where they get their trailers built but I bought a 7x14ft dual axle trailer from these guys this year. http://www.thetrailerman.net/ It works wells enough. Might not be as light as you are looking for but the miata fits nicely and I can still push/tug it around the yard by hand easy enough. Only real complaint is the ramps they had suck. Built upside down if you ask me. Oh yeah and having to Dukes of Hazzard due to the trailer's fenders.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with that business other than being a customer

snookwheel

--
    19 Nov 2010 07:47 AM

Brunton Automotive builds a light trailer that tilts down so you can drive on. Also has an attachment to allow you to use it to park your car on it in the garage. Not sure what the capacity is though. http://www.bruntonauto.com/trailers...ailers.htm

Scott

atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    19 Nov 2010 12:24 PM
    snookwheel wrote:

Brunton Automotive builds a light trailer that tilts down so you can drive on. Also has an attachment to allow you to use it to park your car on it in the garage. Not sure what the capacity is though. http://www.bruntonauto.com/trailers...ailers.htm

Scott

That's a seriously cool trailer !

S2kTas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Nov 2010 10:50 AM

Well, I have one that is something like you are looking for.......but a little longer. This H&H Aluminum Speedloader is 20 foot long, but it is very light weight - 1,400 lbs.

Primetime Glick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Dec 2010 08:01 AM

JoeTas's trailer is killer but if you want something small - sounds like you want something like a 7x12 3500# single-axle - consider having one built by a good local trailer mfg. It's not radically expensive, or at least it wasn't when we did it.

If you fear the expense of "custom fab", figure out if that outweighs your space or weight limitations. Remember, if nothing else, a bigger dual-axle will be easier to back up than a short single-axle, and maybe leave some space for winch, tire rack, storage, etc.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Dec 2010 04:43 PM
    snookwheel wrote:

Scott

I'd feel a lot better if they offered a dual axle option. On a single axle trailer losing one tire could result in losing the whole shebang .... it's not just about weight capacity

suprajayaz

--
    11 Feb 2011 10:52 PM
    Kendon makes a folding single axle trailer link below:
    http://www.kendonusa.com/trailer_car.html
    video in use:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQm-JS1F0oE

Several single axle towing folks said that they have had not any issues with thousands of miles of towing and just carry 1-2 spare tires and change tires every 3-5 years to ensure good condition tires.
    Jay
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11 Feb 2011 11:16 PM
    suprajayaz wrote:
    Kendon makes a folding single axle trailer link below:
    http://www.kendonusa.com/trailer_car.html
    video in use:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQm-JS1F0oE

Several single axle towing folks said that they have had not any issues with thousands of miles of towing and just carry 1-2 spare tires and change tires every 3-5 years to ensure good condition tires.
    Jay

Neat piece, but no springs at all. So, the rest of the trailer takes all the abuse. I would hope it has brakes.

BTW, while my current trailer is a dual axle, I have had a few single axle trailers which did not have any tire issues except the occasional slow leak due to a nail. The real important issue is tire pressure.

BillSeifert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Feb 2011 12:10 AM
    I have a Kendon trailer, it is made in Anaheim, Ca. I bought it out of North Carolina, because that is where I saw it on-line. They shipped it from Calif. because I live out west. It was, I think, $3,600. It hauls 3000 lbs. I used it all last year, Thunderhill, PIR twice, Kent, Wash, Miller and the Runoffs. about 8,000 miles. It weighs 750 pounds empty and folds to a size of 4' X 7.5'. , and I pull it with a Tourag, and get about 14 mpg, and my car is a 99 Honda Civic SI, and weighs about 2750 lbs.

Email me and I will send you some pictures. billseifert256@gmail.com It's kinda neat, but there are some quirks to it.

Bill
    BillSeifert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Feb 2011 12:17 AM
    By the way, the Kendon has torsion bar suspension, not no springs at all. It has electric brakes. I live in the Sawtooth Mountains, of Idaho and to get to the tracks I go to, I have to cross the Sierras (At Donner Pass, by the way. I have no crew with me, so I have nobody to eat if the same thing happens to me that happened to the Donner Party.) Also I go through the Cascades, and the Rockies, and God knows what else, to get to the tracks I race at.

Bill
    BillSeifert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Feb 2011 09:05 PM
    By the way, I just got Sports Car magazine, and there is an article about trailers in it.

Bill
    BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    13 Feb 2011 08:54 AM

If you are in the mid-atlantic, Econo-Trailer will custom make you a trailer how you want. When I picked up my 15' deck (one of their standard sizes) they had a 12' one waiting to be picked up. Dual 3500lb axles just like the bigger ones, just shorter.

I think most manufacturers will do a custom trailer.

suprajayaz

--
    13 Feb 2011 11:28 PM
    Thanks Bill. Jason Isley sent me a message about you using the Kendon FCT3000 trailer. I went to look at a new one here in AZ yesterday. Nice design, easy to fold up/down and nice build quality. The wheel/fender is right about the middle of most cars that would fit on this trailer so one would have to be creative when loading / exiting the vehicle. Bed to fender top is ~ 13". A winch would seem to be a must have option. If Kendon would make a dual axle version of this trailer I'd think it would be competive with smaller aluminum dual axle trailers.
    Rocwandrer

--
    11 Apr 2011 11:42 AM
    Wow! This thread really took off.... I ended up buying a C and C Industries single axle 7x14' 2500 lb rated single axle trailer. It has a surge brake, beaver tail, sprung suspension, weld on tie downs..... I can drive my lowered spyder on and open the door over the top of the fender. That's with street tires. Loading the car gets ridiculously complicated with the 3" smaller diameter race slicks. I'm running STR for this season, and who knows what's next.

I had a blow out (not just a puncture flat, the tire came apart) on the highway at ~60 mph going around a gentle corner. Definitely makes me want TPMS for the trailer tires, but it wasn't such a bad experience that I'm done with single axle car trailers (for light cars).
    l33t9eek

--
    13 Apr 2011 10:05 AM
    Roc,
    Did you end up with the single axle car trailer here: http://www.candcindustries.com/more...ilers.html ?

If so how how did you like the construction?
    Rocwandrer

--
    21 May 2011 01:07 PM
    l33t9eek wrote:
    Roc,
    Did you end up with the single axle car trailer here: http://www.candcindustries.com/more...ilers.html ?

If so how how did you like the construction?

Yup, that's it. Mine was done custom a few years back (I bought it used) and is slightly different, with wider runners, a surge brake, and 14' long, but basically the same thing. I have no complaints really. The only issue I have is that the little runner lips which stick up ~2" above the runners (presumably to prevent you from running off the side of the trailer) hit the bottom of my car when i load it when it is already on the 20" slicks. Since these lips are structural, I've had to add wood spacers to the deck to get it to clear while loading and unloading. An oddball unlikely problem for sure. I'd recommend it as a good trailer.

---