Go to previous topic
Go to next topic
Last Post 09 Feb 2011 02:14 PM by  SmokingTires
Roadside assistance plan that covers race trailers?
 10 Replies
Author Messages
JimD
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
14 Jun 2010 10:31 AM

We tow our autocross Miata in an enclosed trailer behind a Class-C RV. For years we've had AAA Plus RV coverage for roadside assistance. I've just become aware that this plan does not actually cover our trailer (or any trailer that contains a car).

Has anybody found a roadside assistance plan that actually covers race car hauler trailers? So far I've talked to Allstate Motor Club and they would cover it, but would require the trailer to be unloaded. Since our Miata is not street-legal, that's not a good option...

Jim

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Jun 2010 05:34 AM
    Jim, are they referring to "unloaded" as a condition or servicing the trailer? What sort of roadside assistance would you need?
    JimD
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Jun 2010 08:28 AM

Bob,

I was thinking of the situation where the RV broke down and had to be towed somewhere. It'd be nice to have a plan that would also cover towing the trailer, instead of either leaving it by the side of the road, or having to pay for it's tow out of my pocket.

I believe what Allstate was saying was that their plan would cover the cost to tow the trailer only if I took the car out of it first.

Jim

Matt93SE
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Jul 2010 10:04 PM

heh.. I coulda used a roadside plan this week!

Dropped our Lemons car off on the other side of Houston for some work and blew a tire on the way home. was in a hurry that morning and forgot to check the air in the tires. turns out they only had 35psi in them. guess one didn't like that.

So I open the trailer up and start looking for the lug wrench. WTF?! no lug wrench?! What kind of idiot prepped this trailer?!?! oh yeah.. Hi, I'm Mr. Idiot. I'll be calling my wife now and begging her to drive 1hr+ to bring me a lugwrench and an air chuck since I have the air compressor and hose, but no chuck to air up the tires..........

yeah, idiots like that need to have a roadside assistance plan to bail their stupid butts out.

atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Jul 2010 09:38 AM
    Matt93SE wrote:

heh.. I coulda used a roadside plan this week!

Dropped our Lemons car off on the other side of Houston for some work and blew a tire on the way home. was in a hurry that morning and forgot to check the air in the tires. turns out they only had 35psi in them. guess one didn't like that.

So I open the trailer up and start looking for the lug wrench. WTF?! no lug wrench?! What kind of idiot prepped this trailer?!?! oh yeah.. Hi, I'm Mr. Idiot. I'll be calling my wife now and begging her to drive 1hr+ to bring me a lugwrench and an air chuck since I have the air compressor and hose, but no chuck to air up the tires..........

yeah, idiots like that need to have a roadside assistance plan to bail their stupid butts out.

I was so paranoid of this exact thing, I basically duplicated my garage set of tools in the trailer. Actually, I spent more on a big tool box and it's contents than what I had at home.
    Matt93SE
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Jul 2010 08:54 AM

I'm in the process of same. I bought the trailer last winter and have only gone to a few events with it so I'm adding to the shopping list every time I use it. I stuck a sheet of dry-erase board on the inside of the trailer with some markers velcro'd on, and am keeping a list of stuff to buy/bring now. progress is slow.

I have plenty of tools for both home and garage, but I roll the toolbox out of the trailer when I'm not hauling to a track event. my breaker bar and socket set was in it. I also left the jack at home. "It's just a short trip, I'll be fine!"

Then I blow a tire in Houston Rush Hour traffic. doh.

atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    05 Jul 2010 10:15 AM
    Been there! Keeping a running checklist is a great idea. I even installed an inverter which kept my misc power tool batteries charged. Soon, you'll have your own Snap-On truck!
    Matt93SE
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Jul 2010 06:00 AM

We live in the country in Hurricane alley, so a generator here is a must-have. it lives in the trailer along with a portable air compressor. nothing cooler than whipping out a generator and air compressor on the side of the road and using your impact wrench to change a tire!

gbeaird

--
    07 Sep 2010 08:30 AM

Yeah, but by the time you 'unstore' everything, connect it all up, _get the generator to start_, do the tire change, and 're-store' everything, you could've just used the hand tools. After futzing with the truck jack to change a trailer tire on the road, I've started carrying our aluminum floor jack to get an axle off the ground to do the change. A toolbag always goes in the truck when the trailer is hitched, and it always has the breaker bar and all required sockets.

But I digress. This is a thread about getting insurance for a trailer so you don't _have_ to carry all the junk.

Gene Beaird,
    Pearland, Texas

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Sep 2010 10:08 AM

You might check this out in detail.

http://www.hagerty.com/us/auto.aspx?id=57976

Dick

JimD wrote:

We tow our autocross Miata in an enclosed trailer behind a Class-C RV. For years we've had AAA Plus RV coverage for roadside assistance. I've just become aware that this plan does not actually cover our trailer (or any trailer that contains a car).

Has anybody found a roadside assistance plan that actually covers race car hauler trailers? So far I've talked to Allstate Motor Club and they would cover it, but would require the trailer to be unloaded. Since our Miata is not street-legal, that's not a good option...

Jim

SmokingTires
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Feb 2011 02:14 PM
    I know this thread is old, but I have AAA. I called to get a tow for my diesel suburban towing a miata on an open car trailer. They upgraded me to RV Plus for $16 and came and towed me 40 miles home with both. I'm not sure if that is a regional issue you have, or an illinformed employee. I would look into it more.

---