Go to previous topic
Go to next topic
Last Post 17 Aug 2010 04:20 AM by  Andy Hollis
What's a good deep cycle battery for RV?
 7 Replies
Author Messages
mwood
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
15 Aug 2010 06:43 PM

I need to replace the house batteries in my 'bago. Right now, they're 24 size, RV/Marine deep cycle 12v and I'm looking to just go the same, basic route with the replacement, although I am going to see if a 27 series fits. I've also heard good things about going to 6v golf cart type deep cycles, but am unsure how much modification and maintenence (water levels, sulfation etc) is required.

So, what I'm looking at are specific brands and capacities. I know I don't need CCA (cold cranking), as these are not going to be start batteries. I'm also not sure I need to spend the extra $$ for AGM type.

Anyone have any favorites for this type application?

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Aug 2010 07:58 PM
    I learned a few lessona about deep cycle RV batteries while owning a few different Snap-On tool trucks. That lesson? Two 6 volts in series. The only difference is hooking up the posts properly, and that is NOT the same as tow 12 volts in parallel. Battery life more than doubled !! And less maintenance as well. Other lessons - AC Delco marine batteries HATE cold weather. And lastly, while Interstate deep cycles are very good batteries, they just will not tolerate allowing the tops of the cells getting the teeniest bit exposed to air.
    marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Aug 2010 08:47 PM

Howdy,

I'm no particular battery expert, so if I were doing it, I'd need to research it too.

That said, my first stop for research would probably be Optima deep cycle stuff. No maint would be awesome, and they've (the red tops, anyway) done really well in both the ESP car and my van, which have been hard on 'regular' batteries.

But I'd be interested in reading what you learn!

Mark

Andy Hollis

--
    16 Aug 2010 06:00 AM
    marka wrote:

Howdy,

I'm no particular battery expert, so if I were doing it, I'd need to research it too.

That said, my first stop for research would probably be Optima deep cycle stuff. No maint would be awesome, and they've (the red tops, anyway) done really well in both the ESP car and my van, which have been hard on 'regular' batteries.

Mark

Trojan. Require maintenance, but drop right into most applications, have amazing longevity when stored properly and have huge capacity for the size due to massive plates. Probably heavier than what you have now, so watch out for mounting strength.

Pair up 6V batts to make 12v.

--Andy

mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 Aug 2010 06:44 PM
    Andy Hollis wrote:
    marka wrote:

Howdy,

Mark

Trojan. Require maintenance, but drop right into most applications, have amazing longevity when stored properly and have huge capacity for the size due to massive plates. Probably heavier than what you have now, so watch out for mounting strength.

Pair up 6V batts to make 12v.

--Andy

I seem to remember your telling me that exact thing...like two years ago...slow learner.

Anyhow, I did find a local Trojan distributor that will match internet pricing, so two T-105's ends up being right at $300 and should be the ticket. Wiring looks to be really easy, also, although I may have to make a new ground cable or an extension.

Thanks, all.

Andy Hollis

--
    16 Aug 2010 07:43 PM
    mwood wrote:

I seem to remember your telling me that exact thing...like two years ago...slow learner.

Anyhow, I did find a local Trojan distributor that will match internet pricing, so two T-105's ends up being right at $300 and should be the ticket. Wiring looks to be really easy, also, although I may have to make a new ground cable or an extension.

Thanks, all.

Our motorhome is going on ten years old now. Original batteries died after two years. Went to Trojan T-105s and those lasted 7 years. Just replaced them last year. And they cycle way better, which helps a lot when you dry camp as much as we do.

While you are at it, replace the crappy OE converter/charger. Most will only charge at 15 amp, while your system can typically handle at least 30 amps (I pushed mine to 40, but I had to replace the master breaker). And you really want a 3-stage charger, not the crappy one stage that comes with the motorhome. I like Inteli-power, but there are other good ones. A 30-amp will drop right in and will charge your batteries twice as fast as your current setup. One of the best upgrades we did.

--Andy

mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 Aug 2010 08:17 PM
    Andy Hollis wrote:
    mwood wrote:

Thanks, all.

Our motorhome is going on ten years old now. Original batteries died after two years. Went to Trojan T-105s and those lasted 7 years. Just replaced them last year. And they cycle way better, which helps a lot when you dry camp as much as we do.

While you are at it, replace the crappy OE converter/charger. Most will only charge at 15 amp, while your system can typically handle at least 30 amps (I pushed mine to 40, but I had to replace the master breaker). And you really want a 3-stage charger, not the crappy one stage that comes with the motorhome. I like Inteli-power, but there are other good ones. A 30-amp will drop right in and will charge your batteries twice as fast as your current setup. One of the best upgrades we did.

--Andy

Is the 30amp charger totally plug and play? I barely will be able to find time over the next two-three months to do the batteries...this working for a living (again) is a beotch.

Andy Hollis

--
    17 Aug 2010 04:20 AM
    mwood wrote:

Is the 30amp charger totally plug and play? I barely will be able to find time over the next two-three months to do the batteries...this working for a living (again) is a beotch.

Pretty much.

Should not require any other mods to the system (check your main breaker at the battery compartment...should be 30 amp).

There is plenty of room to mount where the old one went and the wiring is straightforward. Google around a little and you'll find write-ups. Here's one that's a little anal. There was a better one that I found when I did mine, but the link is now dead. RV retirees love to write up stuff.

Oh, and you'll need a pair of coveralls and a ladder to do any work on your motorhome (inside RV joke). [:)]

--Andy

---