Liftgate versus Internal Lift: Pros and Cons
 5 Replies
Author Messages
David Pintaric
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
04 Oct 2010 07:08 PM

Looking at stacker trailers. Some have a liftgate, others with an internal lift. What are the pros and cons of each?

I like the "look" of a liftgate. Unloading a car on that lift just looks like you mean business (OK, make fun of me). Internal lifts can be used to work under the car.

Help me out.

Thanks in advance.

PCalhoun
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Oct 2010 02:22 PM

What size and manufacturer of trailers are you looking at and what will you be towing with?

Right off the bat I will tell you there is a substanial difference in cost between an internal Stinger or Gemini lift and a hydraulic liftgate.

David Pintaric
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    05 Oct 2010 06:45 PM
    PCalhoun wrote:

What size and manufacturer of trailers are you looking at and what will you be towing with?

Right off the bat I will tell you there is a substanial difference in cost between an internal Stinger or Gemini lift and a hydraulic liftgate.

Renegade 40' (or bigger) with a toter.

PCalhoun
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Oct 2010 08:25 AM

OK, with a Freightliner based Toter you will have no problem towing a liftgate trailer. The size of the Toter will dictate the maximum length of the traler, as state laws varie, but figure 44' will be the max in any case. A 42' trailer w/ a twin-screw Toter will be over length in many states including CA.

Adding a liftgate will result in some sticker creep vs a hydraulic lift, as you also need a full length upper platform for parking of the vehicles. On the plus side, at the time of re-sale people like the 'bling' factor of a liftgate.

Do not limit yourself to just looking at Renegade, who has sort of become the 'Kleenex' of truck conversions. Renegades are heavy and gain weight over time, being built out of FRP which absorbs water. Their fit and finish is also mid to lower tier within the industry. I would definetly look at Showhauler and NRC as alternatives, esspecially on the Toter.

jcmotorsports

--
    07 Oct 2010 11:04 AM

David

Liftgate all the way. I looked at both and went with the lift gate. I can arrange cars differently in the trailer. If I had an internal lift I couldnt fit all three up top. Plus the lift gate is so cool to operate! [H] If you can go with the 44 that little bit of length means alot. I looked at both sizes as well. I think the 44 trailer is the longest I could run with the 22' toter. Anything longer would be VERY difficult to maneuver. Give me a shout I can give you a crash course in toterhomes and stackers. I really learned a lot shopping for them.

kyleracer

--
    27 Jun 2011 04:05 PM
    Reviving an old thread here. Would have sent a PM, but I think my post count prevents me from doing that.

Anyway, PCalhoun or JCmotorsports, I'd love to pick your brain on what you've learned regarding buying a used toter setup. I'm in the market.

Can you send me a PM to start the dialogue?

Kyle

---