Trailer TPMS
 5 Replies
Author Messages
EWCMR2
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Nov 2010 11:33 AM

Looking for info on which systems work/don't work, are good/junk.

Driving at night with my 36' gooseneck tripple axle trailer always makes me nervous. If one tire goes down the remaining two wouldn't survive too long carring the extra weight. During the day you get to see the smoke and bits of rubber flying...

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    EWCMR2
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Nov 2010 02:13 PM

Yeah, Tirerack was my first stop when looking for tpms. Their systems only work with 4 tires and RF range could be an issue. I need 6 for the trailer and wanted expandability to add the truck tires in the future.

I googled my way to the RV forums for most of my info.

To speed up others searches here is some the names I came up with:

Doran, TST, Tire Traker (Hawkshead in Canada, Jet down under), Pressure Plus, Pressure Pro, Orange, Tyredog, Hopkins (universally disliked on the RV forums/Amazon), AirAware, TireStat...

None of the systems were exactly what I'd want. I'll be heading to Florida (PRI) in December to test the TireTraker I ordered.

racnmni
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Jan 2011 10:38 AM
    i have a TST tpms on my motor home. Supports up to 14 tires i think. I have it on 6 tires (just the MH right now, adding the trailer this spring) and it works great. Gives temp and pressure, good for letting you know if a wheel bearing is going or a brake is hanging up as well. I had one problem in 2 years, a sending unit stopped working. I called TST, and they sent out a new one the same day, free of charge. Great experience with them. They do recommend metal valve stems though, due to the weight of the sending units (screw on). Also, the battery life on the receiver is awesome. Lasted from Pa to Lincoln Nebraska without a recharge. Makes it easy if changing tow vehicle as well. Hope this helps
    EWCMR2
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Jan 2011 11:44 PM
    FYI...
    TireTraker worked well. On the way to Florida it gave many false alerts, turns out I did need the signal booster to reliably get the signal to the reciever, which didn't need recharged for the entire 5000 mile trip.

Whenever I stopped I would walk around the trailer with the receiver and it would "find" the missing sensors and report legitimate info. On the return trip with the booster installed it didn't give any bogus alerts.

The TireTraker lady gave me great customer service, express shipping the booster to the condo I was staying in during PRI.

kb_solo2
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    06 Jan 2011 12:25 AM
    thanks for the update, I should probably get one for my rig.

---