Last Post 07 Jun 2017 12:09 PM by  twistedwankel
Need Suggestions, and maybe a car.
 2 Replies
Author Messages
skisoloii

--
06 Jun 2017 09:23 PM

I need help, folks.

My daughter gets her permit this August, and starts high school a month later. She's been running a kart for a few years, and wants to continue autocrossing (maybe with her Dad, Gxd forbid). 

Looking to find an appropriate car for next year. 

We have a few more requirements: I want her to be able to take it to high school and college if it lasts that long. So it needs to be small enough to not be a Party-mobile (Party Palace anyone?), but it needs to be able to carry a little cargo to and from college. I'd also like it to be small enough so that we can still get the kart in the trailer with it - the younger daughter can't run the car for 2 more years.

Suggestions anyone?

I'm thinking a Mini or a Civic (choke, gasp!), but I'm looking for suggestions. Reasonable budget, no new cars. Preferably <$10K, but I'll consider options. I really wouldn't mind finding a car that's already pretty much set up, but I know how to develop one if need be. Just takes time, and I have less than I used to. Took me a long time to figure out the kart thing - I find cars to be more in my comfort zone.

Is anyone taking a car to Nationals this year with the intention of selling it, or maybe changing to another car next season?

Hit me, please!

Dave Pearson

ron
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Jun 2017 12:06 PM

I don't think there are any civics that are competitive but the Mini's are. You can get lots of stuff in the back with the seats down and four adults can sit in the thing with no issues. I've got a 2009 82k base cooper for H street that hasn't been prepped yet that I might let go I even have a set of SSR's for it. Would want $7700 with the SSR's. This is a sport suspension and cold weather package car in excellent condition.

Ron Williams

twistedwankel

--
    07 Jun 2017 12:09 PM
    Insurance cost will probably be your measuring stick. Check with your agent. You might consider leaving an autocross car in your trailer as it doesn't require a plate or insurance to race. I always put my kids insurance on the cheapest oldest safest vehicle I owned and then they could drive anything else as an occasional driver. Girls used to be safer drivers than boys. Doesn't appear to be that way anymore? Too many distractions? A two seat car/pickup limits how many kids can ride along. My 3 girls +1 boy drove a Fiero, CRX, 300Z, Ranger and rx7 15-20 years ago. They all learned to drive a stick but took their driver's test in the family automatic sedan. A kid living on Campus doesn't need a car. A racing buddy bought a used Volt daily driver so he could give it to his son in two years when he turns 16.

---