Go to previous topic
Go to next topic
Last Post 09 Apr 2016 11:21 AM by  j.pavulon
First Auto X in 2 weeks, tips, hints and tricks?
 9 Replies
Author Messages
j.pavulon

--
03 Apr 2016 03:07 PM
    Just a week ago I purchased an 02 rsx s that I plan on running in 4 events this year. The first one will be in about 2 weeks.

So far I have purchased Hawk HKS Plus pads, centric blanks, Potenza RE71 tires. My current plan is to drive it in this set up for this season and most likely move to the street touring class.

From my current research the most I have learned is to walk the course, slow and steady until I learn the course. Any tips or tricks for handling formalities for an rsx would be awesome to hear. Anything I'm looking for during the walk other than knowing the corners? If I don't sound like I'm on the correct path with my build/class choices please let me know as well. Thanks guys!
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Apr 2016 10:21 PM
    That's a reasonable path. The car is favorably classed in both HS and STF.

Just get someone experienced to ride with you and give you pointers. Other than doing a school, that's the best way to improve.
    j.pavulon

--
    04 Apr 2016 12:45 AM
    Type S is GS rather than HS from what I've read...am I correct there??
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Apr 2016 05:57 AM
    Yep, the S is in GS. And it sounds like you've done more than enough prep and have the right idea for the first day. Talk to the experienced drivers, too, usually everyone you meet is eager to help. Enjoy your autocrossing!
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Apr 2016 05:29 PM
    Yes, it is in GS. I always forget that there are a few STF cars that are in GS in stock form.

You may just want to go ahead and run STF. STF and GS have basically the same PAX index.

http://solotime.info/pax/rtp2016.html
    j.pavulon

--
    04 Apr 2016 08:48 PM
    I mean personally the class doesn't matter me the first few times out as I dont expect to be that competitive as a complete novice. I just figured I'd run the correct class for the mods I currently have done to it. Trust me I plan on trying to be competitive just not the first session. I'll have plenty more questions/research to do when I start going for suspension
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Apr 2016 11:09 PM
    It's all about the right foot. How long it is on the right peddle and how little it is on the brake.
    twistedwankel

--
    06 Apr 2016 01:42 PM
    Our local club allows anyone to run Novice Class for 3 events or until they win the Novice class:) Obviously if you're able to beat people who have up to 3 events you are no longer a Novice. We also have a required Novice course walk. Very important to listen. An instructor is assigned for Novices to both ride along and provide an Instructor driven run (if you desire) that doesn't count against your total runs for the day. I think you wasted your money buying those brakes and RE71's for only 4 events. I raced every weekend locally for 4 years on old Goodyear Gatorbacks before jumping to the pricy racing tires mounted on separate rims and changed on site to make them last. Most cars OEM brake pads with ABS are good for about -500HP. In decades I've never used other than OEM pads. Ask someone for decent alignment specs for your car and what tire pressures to run. Buy some color contrasting painters tape at the hardware for numbers/letters. Use your first run to warm up the tires and get a feel for the course at speed. Don't overdrive that one if you can help it. There are some really good paperbacks on autocrossing. Buy one or two. You can practice a lot of good driving techniques safely on your drive to and from work. Hand position. Looking ahead. Learning just how much brake pressure to bring the car to a halt without lifting right at that cross stripe. Oh. And somewhere in there have a lot of fun and meet some nice new friends from all walks of life.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Apr 2016 06:15 PM
    He'll be able to use those tires in STF and realize he just bought a $2,500 car - chances are it needed brakes anyway.
    j.pavulon

--
    09 Apr 2016 11:21 AM
    Yup, rear pads and rotors were completely shot, got a decent deal on the upgraded pads... the tires were probably a bit more than what I needed, but I have my WRX to split daily driving time so the overall tire wear wont kill me. I appreciate the heads up on the first lap/novice extra lap. Hopefully I can get to do that this time around. Any ideas on which paperbacks are worthwhile or not??

---