Go to next topic
Last Post 28 Sep 2016 03:51 PM by  drdisque
Kumho v720 thoughts
 12 Replies
Author Messages
cjwsrt

--
15 Apr 2016 10:00 PM
    Anyone running the new kumho v720? I love the old XS tires and the prices on the new ones are incredible so far, just looking for some opinions. I've read these run as wide as the next 10mm size up hankook rs3.
    Any feedback would be great, thanks
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Apr 2016 10:39 PM
    They're about 97% as good as the RE-71R for about 30-40% less money. So they're a good budget option if they come in your size and don't care about that last 3%.

They also seem to work better on small cars/sizes than big sizes (the XS seemed better suited to big sizes).
    cjwsrt

--
    16 Apr 2016 07:08 PM

Posted By drdisque on 15 Apr 2016 10:39 PM
    They're about 97% as good as the RE-71R for about 30-40% less money. So they're a good budget option if they come in your size and don't care about that last 3%.

They also seem to work better on small cars/sizes than big sizes (the XS seemed better suited to big sizes).

That's what I've been nothing on some results, I've read they run a little wider and hoping tire rack gets some data on these, the pricing is fantastic so far
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Apr 2016 06:10 PM
    97% as fast is about 2 seconds slower, though... By the same metric, RE-71R is about 97% as good as an A7.
    twistedwankel

--
    17 Apr 2016 07:50 PM
    They aren't available until June so I bought left over Rivals. Who cares? I've been running 240 tires for nearly a year and finishing 2nd.

Oh, I take that back I just beat a high performer by 0.1 second because I didn't hit two cones.

Memo: It's not always the tires. Sometimes you personally suck.

Doug
    McWho

--
    19 Apr 2016 04:30 PM
    Have run the 245/40x18s since last Sept at 5 local events with numerous wins, and last weekend's El Toro Pro Solo, finishing 1st in class HS and 3rd in the Super Challenge.

Tire Rack has a comparo test on their site of the V720, RE71, Rival S and RS3 V2, and the Kumhos were only a gnat hair behind the RE71s, and they were good in the wet too.

You want to run lower pressures and don't cook them. Be sure to have water sprayer. On my camber challenged fwd Accord Sport, only running low 30s front. Suggested mid-high 20s for STS car with camber at El Toro, which worked really well for them too.

The rears on my car have 80 runs on them, 35 on the front, and the fronts have 34 on the front and will be using as is at Crows Landing Tour this wknd.

They are the least expensive, and the results have been great, especially given I'm not in the best car for the class.
    sgmineha

--
    14 Jun 2016 12:04 AM
    I have run both the RE71R and the V720 on my ES MR2 Spyder this year. My reviews so far is that when it is hot, the Kumho's are just as fast, maybe even a hair faster than the Re71R. However, when it is just warm, cold, or simply haven't gotten enough heat in them yet, they aren't anywhere close to the Re71R. If you were to graph temperature vs grip, the RE71R would look like a torque curve, while the V720 would look like HP. So far, I have not been able to test the 2 tires back to back, but will finally be able to this weekend. From a competitive perspective, the Kumho needs a lot of heat to be faster than the Bridgestone, and that is mostly because the Bridgestone slows down when it gets too hot.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Jun 2016 03:08 PM
    That's interesting considering that Kumho just revised the recommendations for the tire saying that it shouldn't be used for track days because it can't handle the heat.

That would imply that the compound works best at a temperature that the construction can't handle for an extended period of time. That's a, well, interesting way to engineer a tire.
    sgmineha

--
    24 Jun 2016 12:49 PM
    So I was able to test both the RE71R and V720 this weekend on my ES MR2 Spyder. Both sets were 205/50-15 all around. It was a 2 day event, with 2 3-run sessions each day (~82℉ and sunny, on a high quality asphalt surface). I was expecting the Bridgestone to be faster and was going into it wanting to know how far back the Kumho was, but ultimately the V720 was half a second faster on a 60 second course each day and, IMO, much easier to drive. I finished the days 0.4s and 0.8s PAX behind Andrew Palotta (GS), which is a pretty good measuring stick by most people's standards. The V720 has stiffer sidewalls and has much better turn in than the RE71R.

My speculation is that the Kumho is great for low powered lightweight cars, but get destroyed in heavier, more powerful cars. I don't see the wear issues that others have reported. I have about 50 runs and 2500 street miles on them, and they are still grippy with >60% tread left.

Fwiw, I find the tire pressure requirements in the Kumho to be much lower. I ran the V720 @26/28 whereas the RE71R was run @31/34. I haven't tried, but perhaps running the V720 at RE71R tire pressures has contributed to wear issues, bad reviews, etc...
    sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Jun 2016 10:23 PM
    I've heard from most the the Kumho likes lower pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    falkin42

--
    19 Jul 2016 11:23 AM
    Yeah, Tire Rack's description of the Kumho says, "Because its design focus is street use and specifically to excel in the short runs seen during autocross competition, the Ecsta V720 should not be driven on a race track." So they aren't counting autocross as track usage, which is a bit odd but good for our purposes. Didn't think the RE-71 was all that expensive compared to PSS but I guess the Kumho is a good bit cheaper still. I'm aware that the PSS is not on this level, just comparing cost.
    loudes13
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Sep 2016 07:37 AM
    Any more feedback? I want to run these on our lemons car due to the price.

I see conflicting opinions in heat tolerance. Most of the peaky, heat sensitive tires seem ok on the track.

Our z2's will last 9 hours and are just fast on the first lap as the last. If the Kumho can match that wear and be within a few Tenths, I'd be happy with it.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Sep 2016 03:51 PM
    I do not suggest using the Kumho's on a lemons car (unless perhaps it is very light). All indications is that they can't put up with that much sustained heat.

---