Last Post 28 Aug 2017 12:59 PM by  NicholasJay
Miata - disconnect rear sway bar legal?
 3 Replies
Author Messages
mrtwo1991

--
18 Jul 2017 07:28 AM

Rules Question

I have a 2002 Miata in E Street.  I have replaced the front sway bar with a larger bar.  Some other auto-x people suggest also disconnecting the stock rear sway bar.

SCCA Rule 13.7.A states "substitution, addition or removal of a single anti-roll bar and supporting hardware (brackets, endlinks, bushing, etc) is permitted"

The sway bar could be left in place with the end links disconnect, so technically it is not "removed".  But disconnecting the sway bar essentially removes its functionality.

Is this legal?

Thanks.

sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Jul 2017 11:47 PM
    No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rjohnson999
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Jul 2017 12:49 PM

What are you trying to accomplish with the sway bar changes?  The direction you're trying to go will only increase understeer.  Is that really what you want for Solo?

NicholasJay

--
    28 Aug 2017 12:59 PM
    Posted By rjohnson999 on 19 Jul 2017 12:49 PM

What are you trying to accomplish with the sway bar changes?  The direction you're trying to go will only increase understeer.  Is that really what you want for Solo?

NB and NA Miatas typically are very over-steery on the autocross course. It's pretty standard in STS to add a big bar to the front and remove the rear bar altogether on earlier Miatas to keep the rear end planted. 

---