New 'Shock' Rules in Stock Classes?
 10 Replies
Author Messages
Dave Schotz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
28 Dec 2000 01:42 PM
    Hey guys, what is the detail with what we can and cannot have in Stock classes with our Shock setups? No more triple adjustables right. Are external resevoirs legal, if it is Double Adjustable? Is Nitrogen Charging legal?
    Thanks in advance!
    Dave
    Red Z06

--
    28 Dec 2000 03:13 PM
    Dave,

What are the "new" shock rules to which you refer?

Are they different than these: [url="http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/car_class_rules.html"]http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/car_class_rules.html[/URL] ??

AFAIK, external reservoirs and nitrogen charging is legal, regardless of being double adjustable.

OK, I'll admit my ignorance here: I know what a double adjustable is. What is a triple adjustable shock?

Jim

------------------
    2001 Red Z06
    2000 Red Lightning
    Dave Schotz
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Dec 2000 03:25 PM
    Those look like the older rules, from last year. I believe for 2002 they said no more triple adjustable. Not sure of the eternal resevoir, or nitrogen. An example of Triple adjustable is you have the typical Compression, and Rebound. However a triple adjustable offers low speed, and high speed compression adjustment.
    Thanks!
    Dave
    Patrick Washburn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Dec 2000 07:08 PM
    I've not heard any rumors about that, even for something as far off as 2002. Where did you get this? I franky would not object to limiting shocks as you outlined.

------------------
    Patrick Washburn
    Ctech Trailer Cabinets
    Designed for the Racer
    www.racecabinets.com
    Dave Schotz
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Dec 2000 07:14 PM
    Ok, I found it... December 2000 Sports Car issue, Fastrack. Section SOLO, Item #6) Reads, 'Add to section 13.5.A the following: "Substituted shock absorbers may provde no more than two external damping adjustments. Remote reservoirs are permitted and holes may be drilled for bolts with which to mount the reservoirs, but bodywork may not be additionally cut or drilled to provide for the routing of lines or the positioning of the reservoirs." Comment: this does not afect the Street Prepared rules, since for that category it is overridden by 14.5.C'

So there it is... Guess externally adjustable is still legal, but only a maximum of 2 external adjustments!
    Hmmm,
    Dave
    CamaroFS34
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Dec 2000 11:09 PM
    I think the stock shock "clarification" came up because of a mega-buck system Stacey and Laura were using on their C5 this year. I think it had external reservoirs, but I'm not sure about the number of adjustments.

Jeff Fields once said to me that he stayed with single adjustables on his V6 Camaro because double-adjustable just means one more thing to screw up. SCCAForums Image

Karen Kraus
    1996 Camaro Z28 1LE (FS34)

------------------
    "You never get away, you only get someplace else" -- Lovka's Dilemma
    ndmorespd

--
    29 Dec 2000 06:20 AM
    Ok so call me the ignorant/stupid/newbie whatever, but what are the two/three adjustment shocks?

------------------
    Mike
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
    Sacramento Chapter #25
    G/ST `00 Champion!
    GS or STS/R `01
    thedoc

--
    29 Dec 2000 01:53 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by ndmorespd:
    [b]Ok so call me the ignorant/stupid/newbie whatever, but what are the two/three adjustment shocks?
    [/b]

A typical single-adjustable shock usually either adjusts compression damping and rebound damping together, or just adjusts rebound, compression not adjustable.

A double-adjustable shock would allow independent adjustment of compression and rebound, allowing a higher degree of tuning.

A triple-adjustable would further this with low and high speed rebound adjustments. This would be particularly useful on a rough surface as it would control body motion better, but still be compliant for bumps.

A quad-adjust would do the same for compression.

So, with the new rules, you can only have two external adjustments. No more tripple or quad adjusters!

This doesn't mean that shocks can't be tuned, just that it could be more work/luck. Some shocks are rebuildable with different speed sensitive valving. This can be used as an "adjustment", where the external knobs will scale both low and high speeds together. Pretty much not adjustable on-site at an event, but also much cheaper.

Like $2000/set versus maybe $5000 and up. SCCAForums Image

------------------
    1990 Supra Turbo - NHA Hillclimbs, SCCA Solo II, Wannabe Rallyist
    SCCAForums Image
    [url="http://www.premier1.net/~thedoc wrote:
    www.premier1.net/~thedoc[/URL]

[This message has been edited by thedoc (edited December 29, 2000).]
    cblome

--
    30 Dec 2000 07:30 AM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Dave Schotz:
    [b]Not sure of the eternal resevoir[/b]

Eternal? Do those come with a lifetime guarantee? SCCAForums Image

anyway, the rules _proposal_ for shocks was published in the December 2000 Fastrack, quoted below:

"ITEM 6) Add to section 13.5.A the following: "Substituted shock absorbers may provide no more than two external damping adjustments. Remote reservoirs are permitted and holes may be drilled for bolts with which to mount the reservoirs, but bodywork may not be additionally cut or drilled to provide for the routing of lines or the positioning of the reservoirs. Comment: this does not affect the Street Prepared rules, since for that category it is overridden by 14.5.C."

Craig B.
    Dave Schotz
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Dec 2000 08:51 AM
    Eternal, external! :-) Whoops... Maybe Eternal would be a reservoir that went every where I did! :->
    Thanks Craig!
    Dave
    ndmorespd

--
    02 Jan 2001 05:10 AM
    Doc,

Thanks for the knowledge... I can then assume that my (rather simple) KYB AGX's will still be more than legit for Stock class, as they only adjust 1 setting.

Thanks again!

------------------
    Mike
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
    Sacramento Chapter #25
    G/ST `00 Champion!
    GS or STS/R `01

---