Go to previous topic
Go to next topic
Last Post 03 Feb 2015 06:22 PM by  The_Winch
98-02 WS6 Trans Am - why so few running in ESP?
 4 Replies
Author Messages
coneassasin

--
19 Sep 2014 09:14 PM

I've been considering switching from a 3rd gen Camaro to a 4th gen for some time now. The only 3rd gen in ESP at nationals this year showed me that, while the car has the handling prowess to get around the cones, it simply doesn't have the power needed for some of the courses. Newer Mustangs coming from the factory with 400+ HP easily puts any 3rd gen besides Madarash's out for the count, I don't think Sam could even push one to a win these days. 

So I want more power, and I proven chassis. Clearly the 4th gen 98-02 combo is more than proven, with a 4th gen even taking two trophy spots at Nationals this year. Does anyone know of a particular reason why the 98-02 TA/WS6 is underrepresented in Nationals wins, or in ESP in general? It seems as if the car can be prepared exactly the same, and weigh close to the same, and can make the same power. 

boss002

--
    21 Sep 2014 01:13 AM
    To many are drag racing, sitting at car shows on Sunday's , or pretending they have a collector car because Pontiac died.

I mean yes they have more weight I assume. Hood, spoilers, factory electronics and leathers (some can be weight saved) I really just think Fbodys in general in autocross is a hard sell for the typical owners.

This is coming from a 5 mustang owner and 2 fbody owner.
    ST///M

--
    23 Sep 2014 03:48 PM

We have a pretty fast Formula WS6 one that runs locally in South Central PA/DC area, no different than a 4th gen Camaro on all fronts I believe, they're are just more Camaro's than Firebirds in general. I believe the 4th gen still have plenty of life left in it in ESP, considering the fastest time on the East (bigger) course this year at Nationals wasn't a Boss or WRX, but a 99 Camaro.  The 3rd gen that ran this year in ESP (Pat), is officially headed to CP next year as of yesterday for the reasons you mentioned.  

boss002

--
    26 Sep 2014 02:59 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying the Firebirds aren't competitive or even 4th gen camaro's, I was simply saying the typical owner doesn't even know what autocross is.

I was the one racing the 99 Camaro in ESP this year and it was my first Nats i've been to, and i've owned the car about 3.5 months. I believe the camaro/firebird is def a competitive car still even with the power disadvantage to boss. the difference is a proper built ESP Fbody should be in the 32xx range without driver. My car came across at 3312 lbs this year and I still have a full battery, radio, speakers, factory passenger seat, etc.... I believe the lightest boss was in the high 34xx maybe 35xx still.

If your interested in going to a 4th gen to compete I think it really doesn't matter as long as your set it up right, Camaro or Firebird they will be pretty competitive with the right parts and the right driver. To be honest it would be cool to see a nice 4th gen T/A racing , plus their alot cheaper than buying a Boss or replacing WRX parts
    The_Winch
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Feb 2015 06:22 PM
    Dave Schotz ran a WS6 in ESP back in 1999.

---