FB Photon : 3 race old George Dean Racing GSX-R, $14,500, NJ

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Mar 2011 09:34 PM

Via SportsRacer Fourm:

'95 Cheetah SR-1 GSXr-1000, $16,000, FL

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd517/PRLMotorsports/cheetah%20sr-1/IMG_0692.jpg

GRMPer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Mar 2011 06:34 PM
    That Cheetah looks like a steal.

Not sure if it has a diff---but still a great starting point.
    GRMPer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Mar 2011 06:35 PM
    stoopid double post.
    GRMPer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Jul 2011 02:31 PM
    seen on the DSR board:

I have 2 DSR’s that I have made for sale. One is based on LeGrand uprights with a stock 02 GSX-R with molds and trailer for $7500. The other is based on TDC uprights with George Dean built 05 GSX-R with full ground effects, molds, trailer, stock 05 GSX-R and tons of spares for $25,000. Located in Simi Valley, Ca.

Bill Lomenick

BLOMENICK@DELTATAU.COM
    GRMPer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Jul 2011 03:04 PM
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Aug 2011 08:28 AM

SportRacer Forum : OMS, DSR, $16,000, NJ

eBay: OMS DSports Race Car, SCCA, Autocross, Track Day

Quote:

I am selling my OMS. This is a well know Northeast car. The frame and suspension were designed and built by Steve Owen in England. The remainder of the car was assembled and built by me here in the US during the fall and winter of 2004. The car made its debut at the Watkins Glen National in 2005. Qualified for the runoff's three years in a row (twice finishing in the top three in the Northeast division). Went to Ohio the last two years the runoff's were held there. The car is powered by a 2003 Yamaha Fuel injected R1 with 6 speed sequential shift and stainless steel headers. ECU overide with a Power Commander. New Penske Double adjustable shocks (5 races old). Push rod/rocker suspension all around. Wilwood Dynalites and rotors. Mounted Slicks on original OMS wheels (one weekend), mounted rains also on original OMS wheels. Front splitter and rear diffuser. Car comes with lots of spares, two spare 2003 Yamaha motors, 4 sets of fuel injection throttle bodies, original AVO single adjustable shocks, boxes of springs, spare harnesses and ECU's. New rear body (unpainted), nose mold, center section panels to make a mold and boxes of stuff.

This car is a solid runner. No dnf's in the last three seasons. Having won two Northeast regional Championships (2009 NARRC Champion, NJRRS Championship) and several National races in 2006-07. Car is fast, well sorted and easy to drive. You can watch and on board qualifying race from NJMP Lightning course October 2010 here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Chrisomsdsr?feature=mhee
    I am asking $16,000 will negotiate. Everything goes. Car can also be found on ebay under Race cars (not street legal).

I don't know how to post pictures here, so please email me and I will send you pictures of the car. ou can email me at cmosley1@optonline.net. If you want to talk to me, send me your number and I'll call you.

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jan 2012 08:00 PM

This one is right around the corner, in the SCCAForum For Sale section:

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/fo...cope/posts

Clemens

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Nov 2012 09:36 PM

The 2007 B-Mod National Championship car is for sale again:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/33...71002.html

Clemens

jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Nov 2012 08:48 AM

That looks like bunches of fun!

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Feb 2014 12:48 PM

Here are a couple of Radical Prosport options:

2000 Radical Prosport:  2007 Suzuki Hayabusa engine; $22,000 (Canadian?)

2002 Radical Prosport:  2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 engine; $16,000 (Canadian?)

This one just sold (for reference):

2007 Radical Prosport:  Suzuki Hayabusa engine; $27,000 (including trailer)

I don't know anyone who is currently autocrossing a Prosport, but this should make a decent platform for SCCA BM Solo competition.

Clemens

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Feb 2014 12:53 PM

AMAC: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 engine; $16,500 (OR)

This car has a lot of nice features.

Clemens

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Apr 2014 07:39 AM

Have you ever considered an F500 in FM?  Forget that!  Try FM on steroids in BM:

Kokopelli DSR: 800 Rotax triple; $18,000

Clemens

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 May 2014 02:27 PM

2002 Radical Prosport:  2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 engine; $20,000 (Canadian?)

Clemens

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 May 2014 02:31 PM

Something a little more unconventional:

Solo/Hillclimb car:  1000 FZR, $7,800

Clemens

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Nov 2014 07:47 PM

This is essentially a new car with only one event on the chassis:

LeGrand Mk18:  roller/no engine; $6,500

Text of the ad (the underlined names of the cars in my posts are hyperlinks to the original posts, by the way):

Legrand mk18. Originally a kit. Has SCCA log book.
    It has only run one solo race back in 2000. . Had problems with that motor and got put back in storage. The tub is like brand new. 
    Would make a great track day, vintage or solo car for someone. Just needs a new owner and an engine. I have a ZX10 and or KZ1000 available. 
    Spares: extra set wheels/tires, two front splitters several sets front and rear sway bars, header and exhaust (fits Honda 900rr) and a few other misc.
    Asking $ 6500 OBO   car is located in west Michigan ( half way between Grattan and Gingerman )
    Pictures:  http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/ckracecraft/library/Legrand%20mk18?sort=3&page=1

Chad Klungle
    616-4O5-2732

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Nov 2014 01:37 PM

So, how wold someone go about turning the LeGrand roller above into a BM car?  One way to get started in BM is buying a car that is already prepped and set-up for BM autocrossing.  Although quick and convenient, the problem with that is that there are not much more than a handful of cars in existence that can go out and be competitive.  Therefore, the next best thing is buying a BM-eligible platform and do the prep-work yourself.

Older sports racers are common starting points for a competitive BM car.  However, most of them have older engines and might be a little tired structurally from years of roadracing.  That's where this LeGrand does have a leg up.  I have not seen the car, but, just based on the description, it should be structurally very sound since it is essentially a new chassis.  The only track-time this car has ever seen is one autocross event.  Ever.  Other than the engine, it is complete and even comes with two sets of wheels that appear to be the right size (the most common set-up is 8x13" wheels in the front and 10x13" wheels in the rear).  Therefore, you would not pay for an engine that may eventually come out of the car anyway.

Ok, let's assume you bought this car, all you'd have to do to get that car on track is installing an engine.  In order to be competitive, a good option would be a mid-2000s fuel-injected 1000 cc motorcycle engine.  2005-2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 engines are very popular options.  This is pretty much what's required for the 1000 cc motorcycle engine installation, along with estimated costs:

• Engine, $2000-3500
    • Oil pan (required to lower engine and assure proper oil supply in a car application), $500-800
    • Fuel pump, $80-200
    • Fuel pressure regulator, $100-180
    • Header (the motorcycle header won't work due to its routing); this one is a little more tricky and I have to recalibrate myself on what's available, parts kits are available in the $300-400 range, ready-made headers up to $2500
    • Misc. items: throttle cable, clutch cable (unless the engine has a hydraulic clutch), a new chain and a smaller front sprocket for a better gear ratio
    • Fabricating and welding in engine mounts

Now, with the engine installed, you are ready to go and run the car in A-Modified.  Why AM?  There are two reasons:

1. BM has different minimum weights for different engine sizes.  For a car with a 1000 cc 4-stroke engine, the minimum weight is 1020 lbs, including driver.  The LeGrand was designed as a very lightweight car for the SCCA DSR class that had a minimum weight of 900 lbs.  The car in this configuration could be less than 750 lbs and would definitely require ballast for most drivers to make the car legal in BM.  Scrap lead works well and can be had for cheap.
    2. BM also has a minimum wheelbase requirement of 80" to prevent ultra-small cars.  The LeGrand was designed with a 78" wheelbase, which means it needs to be stretched.  This could be done in three different ways, either by relocating the front wheels, relocating the rear wheels, or lengthening the chassis.  The most common way of doing this would be relocating the rear wheels through a suspension modification.  The material to do that is probably no more than $100, but a bolt-on kit, which is available, would cost significantly more.

With those modifications, the car would be ready to run in BM, but there is more needed to make it competitive.  The two items required to make it a front-runner are:

1. An LSD.  The older cars, including the LeGrands, where typically built with what's called a "spool", basically a rigid connection between the two rear axles.  That does not allow the two rear tires to run at different speeds when cornering, which guarantees understeer.  The spool needs to be replaced with a differential.  A Quaife or Wavetrack differential (the VW Rabbit fitment is very adequate) runs in the $900-1000 range.  Other options are available.  This is just for the naked differential, and packaging is the challenge.  "Kits" are available that run in the $3000-5000 range, and minor fabrication and welding might also be required.  Depending on the fit, modifications to the axles and CV joints may or may not be required.
    2. A Solo-specific rear wing for adequate downforce.  A well-designed wing is very effective and can drop your times by two seconds or more, depending on the course and the surface.  A competitive 2-element wing can be had for $2000-4000.  Another options is building your own for a few hundred dollars worth of material.  Some minor fabrication may be required to mount the wing.

Now, you have a car that can be a contender and front-runner at pretty much any event.  A little more tweaking and tuning would make this one of the fastest cars in the country.

You probably noticed that I mentioned the words 'fabrication' and 'welding' several times.  If you have the skills and equipment to do those two things, it clearly makes these modifications a lot cheaper, basically the cost of the material.  Having a friend who can do these things is the next best option.  Having to pay a "professional" for this work makes it quite a bit more expensive.

So, there you have it, one route to owning a competitive BM car.

Clemens

loudes13
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Nov 2014 11:45 PM
    Be competitive out of the gate!

[URL=http://s8.photobucket.com/user/loudes13/media/Mobile%20Uploads/legrand-scca-dsr-bm-bmod-for-sale_zps4dac68b5.jpg.html][/URL]
    Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Nov 2014 11:49 AM
    What is a Suzuki Hayabusa motor and why might someone want one?
    Mark
    racingfool
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Nov 2014 09:00 PM

"The Suzuki Hayabusa (or GSX1300R) is the world's fastest production sportbike. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Hayabusa

racingfool
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Nov 2014 09:00 PM

"The Suzuki Hayabusa (or GSX1300R) is the world's fastest production sportbike. "

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Nov 2014 09:22 PM
    Posted By racingfool on 26 Nov 2014 09:00 PM

Am I confused, I thought 1000cc was the largest motorcycle motor allowed in Bmod.

racingfool
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Nov 2014 10:14 PM
    "C. 

Sports Racers and All Open-Wheel Cars Including Formula Atlantics:
    1. May use any automobile-based 2v/cyl engine up to 1300 cc, any
    2-stroke motor up to 900 cc, any 4v/cyl or more engine up to 1005
    cc.
    Minimum weight with driver: ........................................... 1020 lbs.
    2. May use any 2v/cyl automobile-based production engines up to
    1615 cc.
    Minimum Weight with driver ............................................1110 lbs.
    3. May use any 4v/cyl or more engine up to 1615 cc. May use any
    2- stroke up to 1300 cc, Mazda 12A rotary with any porting and
    any carburetion. May use fuel injection without weight penalty as
    required by the GCR.
    Minimum weight with driver ............................................ 1180 lbs.
    4. May use any naturally-aspirated engine up to 3000 cc.
    Minimum weight with driver ............................................ 1285 lbs."

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Nov 2014 10:55 PM
    Thanks for the info. The Hayabusa must be 2 valve. Someday I may replace my FF with a Bmod car.
    Mark
    loudes13
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Nov 2014 11:12 PM
    My Legrand is also available as a roller, ready to swap in a Hayabusa drivetrain!
    Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Nov 2014 11:19 AM
    Posted By loudes13 on 26 Nov 2014 11:12 PM
    My Legrand is also available as a roller, ready to swap in a Hayabusa drivetrain!

I am new to Bmod.  How does a car end up being a roller?  Are the motors overworked or fragile?

Mark

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Nov 2014 11:37 AM
    I have not seen any FB cars running in Bmod. I like the open wheel and the FF like suspension. Are they legal for BM? Are they competitive? Heavier than min?
    Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Nov 2014 12:08 PM
    Pretty much answered my Q. FB min weight is 1000 lb without driver. I would guess you could not reduce weight by 160lb. Darn!
    racingfool
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2014 08:15 AM
    Posted By MarkFF on 26 Nov 2014 10:55 PM
    The Hayabusa must be 2 valve. 
    Nope.

"3. May use any 4v/cyl or more engine up to 1615 cc... 

Minimum weight with driver ............................................ 1180 lbs. "

racingfool
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2014 08:27 AM
    Posted By MarkFF on 27 Nov 2014 11:19 AM
    Posted By loudes13 on 26 Nov 2014 11:12 PM

I am new to Bmod.  How does a car end up being a roller?  Are the motors overworked or fragile?

Mark

By removing the R1 engine in the LeGrand he posted above?

I doubt the motorcycle engines are fragile. Oiling system may need some mods to work in a car platform.

racingfool
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2014 08:27 AM

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2014 10:54 AM
    Posted By racingfool on 28 Nov 2014 08:15 AM
    The Hayabusa must be 2 valve. 
    Nope.

"3. May use any 4v/cyl or more engine up to 1615 cc... 

Minimum weight with driver ............................................ 1180 lbs. "

That sounds  like saying Formula V can run in CM( if you don't care about driving a non competitive car).
    Seems like all the BM cars at nationals were LeGrands or something similar.
    Mark

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2014 11:15 AM
    Am I reading the GCR's wrong? Is the weight of a FB car 1000lb with driver? I saw one that said it weighed 790lb empty.
    Mark
    Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2014 12:31 PM
    Thanks for the info. The Hayabusa must be 2 valve. Someday I may replace my FF with a Bmod car.
    Mark

Found that it is 4 valve, so must weigh 1180.

loudes13
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Dec 2014 11:51 PM
    My car is a roller because I just acquired a fresher R1 engine and pulled the previous one. I can either finish the install or sell the newer engine on ebay. It was 'almost' sold last month and the buyer was ready to install suzuki power. I can go either way...
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Dec 2014 06:05 AM

A modern motorcycle engine is a pretty amazing piece of machinery.  In addition to having a tremendous power to weight ratio, it is generally also very reliable.  I suppose it is possible to build a grenade engine, but I have run the same engine for eight years now.  The most runs we have put on the car in one season is over 300. I have not added up the total number of runs on my engine, but it is probably well over 1500.

Clemens

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Dec 2014 11:46 AM
    Posted By Clemens on 02 Dec 2014 06:05 AM

A modern motorcycle engine is a pretty amazing piece of machinery.  In addition to having a tremendous power to weight ratio, it is generally also very reliable.  I suppose it is possible to build a grenade engine, but I have run the same engine for eight years now.  The most runs we have put on the car in one season is over 300. I have not added up the total number of runs on my engine, but it is probably well over 1500.

Clemens

Great info, Clemens.

Mark

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Dec 2014 02:32 PM
    Posted By racingfool on 26 Nov 2014 10:14 PM
    "C. 

Sports Racers and All Open-Wheel Cars Including Formula Atlantics:
    1. May use any automobile-based 2v/cyl engine up to 1300 cc, any
    cc.
    Minimum weight with driver: ........................................... 1020 lbs.
    2. May use any 2v/cyl automobile-based production engines up to
    1615 cc.
    Minimum Weight with driver ............................................1110 lbs.
    3. May use any 4v/cyl or more engine up to 1615 cc. May use any
    required by the GCR.
    Minimum weight with driver ............................................ 1180 lbs.
    4. May use any naturally-aspirated engine up to 3000 cc.
    Minimum weight with driver ............................................ 1285 lbs."

I wanted to add a little more clarity on engine size and minimum weights in BM.  Although BM is generally based on the GCR (the General Competition Rules, the SCCA road racing rules), weights and engine rules do not carry over to Solo.  BM allows vehicles from a number of different GCR classes with different performance potential.  In order to even things out as much as possible between the different GCR classes running BM, the engine size and vehicle weight has been disconnected from the GCR and are regulated by BM-specific rules in the Solo rulebook.  racingfool posted these rules, Section C under B-Modified in Appendix A.  In Solo, there is a fixed relationship between engine displacement and minimum vehicle weight (including driver).  Well, with one exception.  Formula Continentals are listed separately in Section D.  

racingfool must have copied the text in his post out of an older rulebook.  I can tell since forced induction engines are not permitted anymore (they previously were with a multiplier of 1.4 as defined in 18.0.B in the Solo Rules).  Here are the BM engine/weight rules out of the 2014 Solo Rules:

C. Sports Racers and All Open-Wheel Cars Including Formula Atlantics:
    1. Turbocharged and supercharged engines are not permitted.
    2. May use any automobile-based 2v/cyl engine up to 1300 cc, any
    cc.
    Minimum weight with driver:............................................ 1020 lbs.
    3. May use any 2v/cyl automobile-based production engines up to
    1615 cc.
    Minimum Weight with driver:............................................1110 lbs.
    4. May use any 4v/cyl or more engine up to 1615 cc. May use any
    required by the GCR.
    Minimum weight with driver:............................................ 1180 lbs.
    5. May use any engine up to 3000 cc.
    Minimum weight with driver:............................................ 1285 lbs.
    6. Minimum rim width:................................................................ none.
    7. Maximum allowed rim width:.................................................. 15 in.
    D. Formula 2000, classed in Formula Continental per GCR/FCS:
    1. Minimum weight with driver:.............................................1090 lbs.
    2. Rim width:.................................................................... unrestricted
    3. Airfoil maximum size per Formula Atlantic rules.
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Jan 2015 11:51 AM
    Here is another Radical ProSport for sale:

2002 Radical ProSport: Suzuki Hayabusa engine; $24,000 OBO

I am not sure where the hyperlink feature went. I can't find it. Therefore, he is the address for the ad:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=64483

It's not the cheapest car, but it looks interesting. Add a "solo wing" and take it autocrossing in BM.

Clemens
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Apr 2015 01:51 PM
    Another sports racer and potential BM car for sale:

2002 OMS: Yamaha engine, $18,000 OBO, including an enclosed trailer

I still can't see the hyperlink feature, hence the Web address listed here:

http://www.racingjunk.com/Sports-Ra...Racer.html

Clemens
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 May 2015 11:32 AM
    The last GRM magazine had an ad for a DSR car for $3,500, including a single-axis open trailer for what appeared to be a robust, running car with some cosmetic issues. Well, that one did not last very long as it sold quickly. It may not have been a championship-winning car, but still a very quick and inexpensive "starter car" that should still be able to beat CM times without any real work to the car. Ok, on to the next opportunity...

Lola based DSR, Diesel tow truck, enclosed trailer, spares: $22,500 for the entire package, TX

Again, it looks like I can't do hyperlinks anymore, therefore, here the Web links:

http://dsrforum.yuku.com/topic/1074...U91XCHBzGe
    http://billmaisey.com/2015photos/royflyer.pdf

I don't know the car and can't say much about it, like its condition or autocross potential, but based on the sales flyer, it has a lot of the right components. Obviously, it would need "low-speed aero". That and a new set of tires may already make it a trophy-winning car. Questions to ask the seller should include some about size and weight of the car.

If you think that's your car and you come to an agreement with the seller, all you need is a plane ticket to Texas, fly down there and drive the "rig" back. If you don't like the truck or trailer, they can always be sold again.

Clemens
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 May 2015 04:05 PM

Posted By Clemens on 28 Jan 2015 11:51 AM
    Here is another Radical ProSport for sale:

2002 Radical ProSport: Suzuki Hayabusa engine; $24,000 OBO

I am not sure where the hyperlink feature went. I can't find it. Therefore, he is the address for the ad:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64483

It's not the cheapest car, but it looks interesting. Add a "solo wing" and take it autocrossing in BM.

Clemens

The price of this car has been lowered to $21,000:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64483

Clemens
    BSTON
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    31 May 2015 10:07 PM
    Mine is up for sale if anyone is interested.

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/447287
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Jun 2015 07:41 PM
    Here is another very inexpensive car, a KBS sports racer with a 900 cc 3-cylinder 2-stroke engine, $4000 asking price, including a trailer:

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...67636.html

There is picture available of a KBS sports racer with a different (better) looking body. Go to

http://sports.racer.net/index1.html

then click on Chassis on the left-hand side and select KBS.

Clemens
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Jun 2015 07:44 PM
    And another one. This is a 1984 VanDiemen formula car converted to a sports racer with a motorcycle engine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Diemen-...1711703424

As of my typing, there is a week left in the auction with a current high bid of $6,600, but the reserve has not been met.

Clemens
    racingfool
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Jul 2015 12:48 PM
    http://bringatrailer.com/2015/07/23...-race-car/

Porsche 911 Powered: 1967 Tube Frame Race Car
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Aug 2015 09:16 AM
    Anybody who is seriously interested in BM should take a VERY CLOSE LOOK at this car:

1989/90 Prince SR-5: Yamaha engine, $16,000 firm

http://dsrforum.yuku.com/topic/1085...dXArLS_dqs

It is a sports racer with great potential, very comparable to a LeGrand. Unlike with a LeGrand, the guy who designed and built it is still alive. Since it is a more recent design, I suspect that it is more robust than a LeGrand and can handle the G-forces generated by today's sticky tires and higher downforce better.

I have not seen this car in person and can't really say anything about its condition, but it should be a great starting point for a very competitive Solo car. Just install a set of "Solo wings" (available for around $2k), and it should be a solid trophy contender at Nationals. A set of wider wheels and maybe an engine upgrade would make it a National Championship contender (although we have car running that has won several National Championships with an R1 engine, and that car is still very competitive front-runner and a candidate for more championships).

Clemens
    thewelder
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Sep 2015 08:19 PM
    Does anyone know any history on the KBS car. Thanks
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Sep 2015 05:32 PM
    Here are a few comments from our B-Modified YahooGroups forum on the KBS car:

"I believe the KBS was their attempt at building a DSR back in the late 80's. They have info on the car on the sportsracer forum"

"This is the car shown on Sports Racer Network (yes, I broke down and called the seller). It is one of 3 (or 5?) KBS (the F500 people) built for DSR. The car was sold out of TX (the SRN ad) to an older gentleman in Florida. It was in the process of being "rebuilt" and the gentleman passed away and unfortunately, the fire system. logbooks and some other parts were thrown out before the balance of the car was purchased by the current owner. He claims to be firm on his price, but would sell for a bit les without the trailer. I have asked him to send me wheelbase & track dimensions - he has not weighed the car. He is also sending me the sizes of the wheels/tires on the car now (13" dia - widths TBA)."

"Just to pass on a bit more information I got from the seller:
    F Track: 60"
    R Track: 64"
    Wheelbase: 93"
    Tire Sizes - F: 20x8-13, R: 22x10-13 - wheel widths not confirmed.
    Price of car w/o trailer: $3000 - spares are two crankcases and a set of 1000cc cylinders, pistons & heads

I did find a post from the P.O. in TX mentioning the frame had been lengthened:
    "Our car had a chassis that was originally constructed by KBS, the F500 manufacturer, as a DSR, amd a Winfurst (sp) body. We lengthened it and installed the Polaris triple in it. I don't remember what the original engine was, but it was a two cylinder. We worked with Aaen on the belts and clutches, and never had an issue with those components. The owner ultimately sold the car to a guy from Florida who intended to autocross it. I kept up with him for a while, but I don't know if it is still being used.""

"I almost bought that same car a long time ago. It was reasonably successful road racing and had no belt or other problems. The owner at that time (Larry Svalton?) was pretty sharp and kept the chassis, CVT, and motor tuned. He wasn't greedy building for HP and that is probably why it worked so well.

This body would probably look terrific if the rear wheel opening were cut out."

Clemens
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Nov 2015 09:20 AM
    Well, racing season is pretty much over, at least in most parts of the country. Time to buy new cars, right? Here is one:

1978 Wheeler DSR - BMod (FSV Chassis), $9,000, located in Columbus/OH

http://dsrforum.yuku.com/topic/1089...kdA2berTIU

It is not the most competitive car in its current configuration, but looks like a great starting point.
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Nov 2015 09:23 AM
    Here are two more B-Mod candidates, a LeGrand Mk25 project car and a Formula Jedi. $8,000 takes it all. That is a pretty decent value for everything that's included. Located in Atlanta/GA.

http://dsrforum.yuku.com/topic/1091...kdDLrerTIU
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Nov 2015 09:20 PM

Posted By Clemens on 14 Nov 2015 09:20 AM
    Well, racing season is pretty much over, at least in most parts of the country. Time to buy new cars, right? Here is one:

1978 Wheeler DSR - BMod (FSV Chassis), $9,000, located in Columbus/OH

http://dsrforum.yuku.com/topic/10893/1978-Wheeler-DSR-BMod-FSV-Chassis#.VkdA2berTIU

It is not the most competitive car in its current configuration, but looks like a great starting point.

I just saw a post elsewhere from the owner that he lowered the price to $8,500. He says:

"New price $8500...I'd rather see it raced than stored."

Clemens
    Dan Lipperini Jr
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Nov 2015 08:42 AM
    http://www.racingjunk.com/Sports-Ra...B-mod.html

http://s31.photobucket.com/user/w65...t=3&page=1

[URL=http://s31.photobucket.com/user/w650gb500/media/Prince%20SR-5%20sports%20racer/image.jpg13_zps6xx2wzpr.jpg.html][/URL]
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Nov 2015 12:53 PM

Posted By Dan Lipperini Jr on 19 Nov 2015 08:42 AM
    http://www.racingjunk.com/Sports-Racer/182573106/PRINCE-SR-5-sports-racer.-DSR-B-mod.html

http://s31.photobucket.com/user/w650gb500/library/Prince%20SR-5%20sports%20racer?sort=3&page=1

[URL=http://s31.photobucket.com/user/w650gb500/media/Prince%20SR-5%20sports%20racer/image.jpg13_zps6xx2wzpr.jpg.html][/URL]

I see, it is for sale again...

This looks like a great platform for a BM autocross car. I am not familiar with this particular car, but based on its specs, pictures, and description, I would expect it to be pretty quick as is. Turning this car into one of the fastest cars in the country and earning a National Championship with it is not a stretch. Just adding a good Solo wing should give it the potential to score at trophy at the Solo National Championships.

Clemens
    thewelder
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Dec 2015 07:50 PM
    I bought the KBS car yesterday. I will probably run AM with it. Really depends on what it weighs when I get the chance to get it on my scales.
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Dec 2015 03:48 PM
    Here is another one...a custom-built formula car, specifically for B-Modified competition:

2009 Zombie Woof formula car, Yamaha R1 engine, $14,000 (including small, enclosed trailer), located in Austin/TX

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=71552
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Dec 2015 01:03 PM
    For those who like to browse car ads themselves, here are the links to some of my favorite sites with potential B-Modified autocross cars for sale:

Sports Racer Forum, Cars for Sale:
    http://dsrforum.yuku.com/forums/14/...oAluvkrLIV

Racingjunk.com, Sports Racers for Sale:
    http://www.racingjunk.com/category/...Racer.html

Racingjunk.com, Formula Cars for Sale:
    http://www.racingjunk.com/category/...rmula.html

ApexSpeed.com, Autocross Cars for Sale;
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/for....php?f=186

None of these sites only list BM cars, but, depending on the sites, they also list road race cars and autocross cars eligible for classes other than BM. In addition, all but one of the aforementioned sites also list additional cars for sale in other categories. Obviously, there are many other places out there on the Internet that also list cars for sale...

Happy browsing!

Clemens
    Dan Lipperini Jr
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Jan 2016 10:39 PM
    I had been looking for either a motorcycle powered formula car or sports racer to run at hillclimbs and track events here in PA for quite some time. As it happened, I ended up with both this car as well as a Yamaha R-1 powered Prince sports racer . I don't need 2 bike powered racecars and need to sell one of them. I have no emotional attachment to either of them and will keep whichever one doesn't sell. This Lola had been advertised here by the previous owner and we ended up doing a deal. It was listed for $8500 and i bought it for $7500 and made an 1100 mile trip to get it. I havent done anything to it since bringing it home. If it doesn't sell, I will tear it apart over the winter and get ready to put on an all-out assault on the Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association next season.

1982 Lola T-640 chassis #5 converted to T-644E wide track spec's.
    - Converted to FS (over $8k in material receipts for the m/c conversion without the labor for
    actual fabrication).
    - Very clean car overall.
    - 2001 Suzuki GSXR-1000 (low mileage stock motor converted by Beasley).
    - Weight – 796 lbs. without driver.
    - Stock dash with separate oil pressure and water temp gauges.
    - K&N air filter, MSN fuel pump, AEI fuel pressure regulator.
    - Yoshimura wiring harness.
    - GDRE hydraulic clutch set up.
    - Stainless steel exhaust and muffler.
    - Beasley spool rear end with 530 chain (Sigma/Tsubaki).
    - New Taylor Racing half shafts.
    - New oil cooler.
    - New Wilwood master cylinders.
    - New rain light (Afterburner).
    - Transponder

Spares:
    - Front A-arms(top and bottom, both sides).
    - Mounted rains on Compomotive wheels.
    - 4 unmounted Compomotive wheels.
    - Rotors and pads.
    - Side panels.
    - Nose
    - Misc. FF parts

Misc.
    - Haynes Manual, all build notes and receipts.
    - Log books back to 1982.

$7800 FIRM.

Previous for sale thread: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=70367

Link to pictures: http://s31.photobucket.com/user/w650gb500/library/Lola%20T644E%20%20%20Formula-S%20%20%20F1000%20%20%20FB?sort=6&page=1

[URL=http://s31.photobucket.com/user/w650gb500/media/Lola%20T644E%20%20%20Formula-S%20%20%20F1000%20%20%20FB/image.jpg1_zpsjsvwhxog.jpg.html][/URL]
    Dan Lipperini Jr
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Jan 2016 10:44 PM
    [URL=http://s31.photobucket.com/user/w650gb500/media/Lola%20T644E%20%20%20Formula-S%20%20%20F1000%20%20%20FB/image.jpg11_zpsnmjlwurg.jpg.html][/URL]
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Jan 2016 08:38 AM
    Here's a little different approach, a motorcycle-powered (Honda CBR1000f engine) Locost Seven clone for $8,500:

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/447934

These cars typically run in DM, but DM does not allow motorcycle engines. An enclosed trailer is also available.

Clemens
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Feb 2016 10:03 AM
    I have posted this car before, a Radical ProSport with a Hayabusa engine, located in Colorado:

http://dsrforumhttp://dsrforum.yuku...rIEKfkrLcs

The buyer just reduced the price to $19,000, which makes this car even more attractive. I have always felt that the Radical ProSport is a very attractive car for BM from a performance potential standpoint. It is also a very robust car, a lot more so than a LeGrand, for example. I believe that this car would be more reliable (no, Modified cars do not have to break!) than a number of production-based cars out there. Also, maintenance on this car should be no more difficult than on a "regular" car, and anybody should be able to do that at home in their garage. In addition, running costs of this car would also be less than a number of production-based cars out there. You would need a garage, trailer and tow vehicle though when owning and campaigning this car, though. Think about it!

Clemens
    thewelder
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Sep 2016 07:54 PM
    I am thinking of selling the KBS sports racer that I bought out of Florida.
    Was listed on here but since I bought it I have:
    Replaced carbs
    Replaced fuel tank
    Mounted a seat with new out of date belts(autocross only)
    Got it running and have ran a few events.
    Still trying to get the CVT setup for autocross but it's getting close.
    Located in East Tennessee now. Open to trades. Looking for something street legal again. Thanks.
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Oct 2016 10:46 AM
    This is the "easy" recipe for a BM National Championship. The 3x championship winning Cheetah (including the last two years) is for sale:

1998 Omni-Fab Cheetah SR-1 sports racer, Suzuki GSX-R 1000: $36,000, inluding a small, open trailer

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showth...R-for-sale

This car is fully set up and optimized for autocrossing. It may be the fastest car in the country. You will not find a better opportunity to buy a competitive turn-key BM car than that.

Clemens

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Jan 2017 08:29 AM
    Most of the cars I come across and post are sports racers. Not this one. This is a BM car with lots of history as it used to belong to Greg Scharnberg.

1985 Ralt RT5, 2.0 L VW engine: $17,500

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=76665

Have you ever wanted to own an open-wheel Formula Atlantic car? Here is your chance!

Clemens
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Jul 2017 07:19 PM
    Also posted in a different location on this site:

2000 LeGrand Mk25, Honda CBR1000RR engine, $18,000 OBO, located in CA

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/448810

This car has been a dedicated autocross car since Day 1 and was built for that purpose. A great entry point into B-Modified. It should be ready to run.
    Dragonbill

--
    12 Jul 2017 08:39 AM
    This car is the Dragon built originally at Small Fortune Racing for Vern and Betsy Lyle. National Champ in BML, podium in BM.  Converted to bike power by its' 2nd owner, could definitely be a front runner. Unless there have been changes, the car has Magnesium uprights and an SFRE Quaife drive. Body work was Sorcerer out of Texas.
    BG

---