170 Replies
Author Messages
pru
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Aug 2010 05:16 AM

Via ApexSpeed FF Classified Section

84 RF84 Vandiemen Formula Ford : KY / Currently configured for Solo / $6,700 ($9,500 with enclosed trailer)

1981 Dulon MP21 : ID / Currently configured for Solo / $10,000 (includes enclosed trailer)

Van Diemen RF84 : CA / Recent ground-up restoration / $6,500

PCalhoun
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Sep 2010 02:14 PM

Is the sale didn't go thru, this car is a good deal and will ultimately be a more competitve car than an 84 VD.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=40298" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=40298

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=40298" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=40298" mce_href="http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=40298" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=40298">

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Sep 2010 03:21 PM
    PCalhoun wrote:

Is the sale didn't go thru, this car is a good deal and will ultimately be a more competitve car than an 84 VD.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=40298

Pete,

Sale pending on the RF-85. Nearly certain that it will end up in Indy...[;)]

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Sep 2010 05:31 AM
    Van Diemen RF85 for Sale : WI / Fresh powder coated frame / $10,000 ($11,000 with open trailer)
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Sep 2010 06:06 AM

pru wrote:
    Van Diemen RF85 for Sale : WI / Fresh powder coated frame / $10,000 ($11,000 with open trailer)

Pru,

You beat me to it. Looks a lot better than mine!

Excellent CM car in my obviously biased opinion! Probably just needs an integral first gear and fresh 25B's to be READY to clean up in autoxcrosses!

Dick

CM 85

85 VD

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    14 Sep 2010 10:54 AM

Still for sale:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=41764

Not mine.

Dick

85 VD RF-85

CM 85

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 Sep 2010 07:32 AM
    pru wrote:
    PCalhoun wrote:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=40298

Pete,

Sale pending on the RF-85. Nearly certain that it will end up in Indy...[;)]

Yep, Nick Myers bought it. Mark Lamm has been tinkering with it all week. It should have it's first event this weekend.

That 85 in Wisconsin has me all hot and bothered! I need to get my Miata sold fast!

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Sep 2010 08:04 AM

GChambers wrote:

Yep, Nick Myers bought it. Mark Lamm has been tinkering with it all week. It should have it's first event this weekend.

[:D]

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 Sep 2010 08:49 AM

Great if we can get three 85 VD's to show up at Nationals! I'm shooting for 2012 after I hopefully either retire or have more vacation (2 weeks total sucks compared to the 4 or 5 I had at my previous job.)

FYI, how did Don Elzinga pull off a second place in a single driver car?

Dick (usually single driver . . . I take the "solo" part of "solo" literally [:D] )

85 VD

CM85

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Nov 2010 08:43 AM

1985 Reynard FF : DE / includes open trailer / $6500

barryott

--
    19 Nov 2010 12:07 PM

Tyson Sawyer was a perennial front runner in his '85 Reynard, and Daddio won Nationals when he drove it. Cheap too! I remember Tyson saying he ended up welding the floor pan on his to keep it attached and help with stiffening the chassis....

Barry

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Nov 2010 09:45 AM
    I am thinking about that 85 Reynard. I went down to Indy on Sunday and tried Geoff's Vandieman on for size and found it a challange to get in and out of and to push pedals one at a time. After reading some on Apex I think these are solvable problems. Can any body comment on the width and foot room in the 85 Reynard compared to the 84 Vandieman?
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    22 Nov 2010 11:13 AM

t walgamuth wrote:
    I am thinking about that 85 Reynard...Can any body comment on the width and foot room in the 85 Reynard compared to the 84 Vandieman?

I never sat in a '84 Van Dieman, but I did own a '85 Reynard (the aforementioned Sawyer/Daddio car). That said, I believe what you find is, outside of the Swift, most of the FF/CM chassis of that era have roughly the same size footbox. That is, the footbox size of the '84 Van Dieman and '85 Reynard should be very close.

Question: what type of shoes (if any) were you using while trying out Geoff's car? The footbox size of nearly all FF/CM chassis dictates that drivers use very tight fitting shoes (drivers, wrestling, etc.) to properly work the pedals as well as get in/out of the car. When someone not wearing this type of footwear tests the fit of my Swift, I tell them that they best remove their shoes if they really want to properly fit let alone get in/out.

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Nov 2010 11:38 AM
    I am thinking about that 85 Reynard. I went down to Indy on Sunday and tried Geoff's Vandieman on for size and found it a challange to get in and out of and to push pedals one at a time. After reading some on Apex I think these are solvable problems. Can any body comment on the width and foot room in the 85 Reynard compared to the 84 Vandieman?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    22 Nov 2010 11:40 AM
    pru wrote:

I never sat in a '84 Van Dieman, but I did own a '85 Reynard (the aforementioned Sawyer/Daddio car). That said, I believe what you find is, outside of the Swift, most of the FF/CM chassis of that era have roughly the same size footbox. That is, the footbox size of the '84 Van Dieman and '85 Reynard should be very close.

Question: what type of shoes (if any) were you using while trying out Geoff's car? The footbox size of nearly all FF/CM chassis dictates that drivers use very tight fitting shoes (drivers, wrestling, etc.) to properly work the pedals as well as get in/out of the car. When someone not wearing this type of footwear tests the fit of my Swift, I tell them that they best remove their shoes if they really want to properly fit let alone get in/out.

I have a no shoe rule for anyone stepping foot in my car. Same with no food, or drink. [:D]

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    22 Nov 2010 12:42 PM

t walgamuth wrote:

Tom, like I told you last night, those shoes would make a big difference. Also, my car is tighter to get into than any of the other cars I've sat in. Try a few out. Don't rush into anything. I'm guessing you'll find one that fits if you look long enough.

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Nov 2010 02:39 PM

Geoff, thanks very much for your generous sharing of your car last night.

I can see you are going to be having some real fun with it next year!

Tom

PCalhoun
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    22 Nov 2010 05:04 PM

t walgamuth wrote:

As noted footwear makes a difference, as does sitting in the car w/ your belt on, wallet in your pocket, or wearing a sweatshirt Yes, they are a tight fit, but once you have a seat made to your proportions, adjust the pedals & steering column a lot of folks can be made to fit and be much more comfortable.

What size shoe do you wear? If it is under 12 you should not have a problem.

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Nov 2010 07:52 PM

Tom,

I forgot to mention in the emails last night that the pedal pads themselves may be the "issue". When I had pads with longer bolts made I also carefully determined the pad width and "offset" to minimize foot overlap without having the pads too far apart. Note the "flag look" of the brake pedal in the picture I sent you. One of the benefits of Mod compared to stock based class rules. Minor hassles compared to the fun factor!

By the way, there is no room for a dead pedal in my car. I do have a heel rest but I don't think I ever use it.

Dick

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Nov 2010 11:39 PM

Yes, I was reflecting today that if I don't like the pedals I can change them unlike in a stock class!;)

Dick, thanks for your help!

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    23 Nov 2010 09:07 PM

I came to an agreement on the Reynard today and sent a deposit. Within the next two weeks we will get together and unless the car is not as represented, which I doubt, I will be bringing it home!

It will have to be painted in my traditional black and orange scheme!;)

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    23 Nov 2010 09:09 PM
    I'll be needing some appropriate autocross gears, so if anybody has a line on some please let me know!
    PCalhoun
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Nov 2010 09:54 PM
    t walgamuth wrote:

I came to an agreement on the Reynard today and sent a deposit. Within the next two weeks we will get together and unless the car is not as represented, which I doubt, I will be bringing it home!

Congrats and welcome to CM! For the price you cannot go wrong, even after you throw a little money into it a new car would have more depreciation just driving off the lot.

Definetly make a post on ApexSpeed looking for Hewland Mk 9 auto-x gears. The fixed layshaft 1st will be the toughest to find w/out buying new from Taylor Race Engineering (TRE).

BTW- what region are you out of?

Keep 'em comin' boys CM is on a roll to get our car count up in 2011!

PS- You'll want to give a lot of consideration to painting an older fiberglass racecar black. I hope your painter is good, because there is going to be alot of prep work to make it look good.

Jim G
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    23 Nov 2010 10:01 PM

New gears are expensive, especially the fixed layshaft first gear that you'll need. You can get them from Taylor Race at www.taylor-race.com and other outfits. For the fixed layshaft first gear 12:38 is kind of low but OK; 13:37 and 13:38 are very good imo; I also used a 14:36 for awhile and it was OK but not as good as the 13's. You can look for used gears on apexspeed.com and I'm sure elsewhere. I've seen some on ebay even.

There's a nice gear ratio/speed graph generator at http://www.ratiochart.com/index.cfm ... on the first page pick "mk 8/9 4 speed with mk 8 ratios". On next page set tire height at 22.6 inches, your final drive is likely 9/31. Max revs are between 6800 and 7000 depending on how hard you want to push the engine. Next page hit "generate chart with selected gears and pick what you want then generate the graph. Very neat tool.

Good luck and welcome!

Edit: beat me to it Pete.

adhowe70
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    23 Nov 2010 10:16 PM
    t walgamuth wrote:

Wahoo! And welcome.

Andy

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    23 Nov 2010 10:19 PM

Tom,

Great news! Too bad you apparently live in Indiana (for me but not for you given the great sites and competition near you).

Don't forget to determine the ring and pinion ratio before buying gears.

If you have the common 9:31 a 13:38 or 13:37 is good for about 45 or 46 mph at 6800 rpm and that definitely seems to be the first gear speed of choice. A 10:31 r&p will need a 12:38 for 45/46 mph.

That said, at first you can "get by" with a "short" slide on gear for first if you don't side step the clutch and don't have really sticky tires yet or high grip sites. Better check the clutch first though since the small racing clutches don't like slipping.

Regarding using ratiochart, a short cut for comparing ratios is to tell the calculator you have a 5 speed so that you can compare two gears and hold the other 3 constant. The tool is neat but a "little" crotchety going back and forth. Double check the numbers/assumption each time so you don't end up with bad data by mistake (ask me how I know) [:)]

Dick

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Nov 2010 06:04 AM

Wow! Thanks for all the info! I am in Lafayette, so Grissom is considered my "home" course, though I liked our old and lamented 16th st. speedway course probably best. I am pretty pumped about gettting it ready to run!

It is set up to run only 6500 RPM due to the rules his club had, so I probably will pull the head and put in stiffer valve springs so if I over rev it a bit it will not hurt anything.

Tom

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Nov 2010 07:42 AM
    t walgamuth wrote:

It is set up to run only 6500 RPM due to the rules his club had, so I probably will pull the head and put in stiffer valve springs so if I over rev it a bit it will not hurt anything.

Tom

FYI,

According to my Stack tach and the MSD rev limiter I regularly rev mine to 6800-7000 and tend to "sit" on the limiter for a second or two at the end of straights. This past summer I shifted to first instead of third [:$] and the tell tale read 7800 rpm. Engine ran just fine with valves still in adjustment and leakdown OK which means no bent valves, etc. The engine is now apart for the first time since late 1997 (due to "layoff" years only the equivalent of about 5 seasons in the 13 years). Engine builder says engine is fine with minimal wear on bearings and valve guides. i.e. due for freshening but not overdue. Oil has been Mobil 1 20W-50 (before the zinc/zddp reduction).

Dick

CM85

PCalhoun
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Nov 2010 08:38 AM

t walgamuth wrote:
    It is set up to run only 6500 RPM due to the rules his club had, so I probably will pull the head and put in stiffer valve springs so if I over rev it a bit it will not hurt anything

He most likely just has a 6500 rev limiter or rev limiting rotor in it, no big deal. The car from the pictures also has a gearbox bumper for FRRC, which can be removed in SCCA.

You will also want to download a copy of the SCCA Club Racing GCR so you have the FF rules handy. The motor in your car is advertised as pro-built by MWE in 2009. I would not do anything without talking to MWE (though I know Wenz has left to open up a new shop in GA), as they are a well known shop on the east coast and I don't believe a stiffer spring will have any benefit when you are only talking 300-500 rpm max. And you are talking about RPM spikes not constant loading like a long-straight road racing..

Drive the car, develop it, and enjoy it...

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Nov 2010 10:26 AM

PCalhoun wrote:
    PS- You'll want to give a lot of consideration to painting an older fiberglass racecar black. I hope your painter is good, because there is going to be alot of prep work to make it look good.

The truth in this statement is sickening. Ask me how I know. [:P]

PCalhoun wrote:

^^ This ^^

Other than gears, and seating position I'd put it on course to know what you have.

A 6500 rev limit would probably be a good safety net as you get comfortable with the car. You'll learn the sound of the motor and when you need to grab the next gear. These motors make enough torque and the clutchless shifts are so fast that you don't need to rev them to 7k. The dulon has no shift light, or limiter. Yet, Mark and I would still state "I hit the limiter in 3rd just before the sweeper." If one of us made that comment it really meant we grabbed 4th. At the beginning of the year I was nervous about not up shifting when I should. Surprisingly I learned the sound quickly.

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Nov 2010 11:10 AM

Locked wrote:
    These motors make enough torque and the clutchless shifts are so fast that you don't need to rev them to 7k.

True unless you are a total klutz at shifting even with the clutch. See my post above about shifting UP to 1st.[:$]

More seriously, would shifting without the clutch have kept the rev difference from allowing the dog ring for 1st to even engage shifting at high revs from 2nd?

Even though I'm an "old dog" I would still like to learn to confidently shift without the clutch and to use 2 gears instead of trying to make a tall second "do". I can afford to buy dog rings more often if that is the major "risk".

Thanks,

Dick

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Nov 2010 02:46 PM
    Locked wrote:

PCalhoun wrote:

The truth in this statement is sickening. Ask me how I know. [:P]

PCalhoun wrote:

^^ This ^^

Other than gears, and seating position I'd put it on course to know what you have.

Yep, this right here. Other than getting my car in good operating condition, I don't plan on doing anything to it until I can get it out onto the course and get a good feel for it.

Edit: BTW, that's 5 CM cars in the Indy region now. [:D]

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Nov 2010 03:50 PM

And ten drivers?

I think Jimmy will be co driving with me next year.

After talking with the PO who is an Engineer I have a really good feeling that the car has been taken care of pretty well.

Tom

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Nov 2010 06:32 PM

Cool! Congrats, Tom.

This modified thing must be contageous. Indy Region added three CM cars, one FM car, and one AM car over the past few weeks, assuming this deal goes through. I still can't believe it. And I lost count when looking at all the existing BM, DM, and EM cars we already have...

Clemens

barryott

--
    24 Nov 2010 07:29 PM
    Dick Rasmussen wrote:

Locked wrote:
    These motors make enough torque and the clutchless shifts are so fast that you don't need to rev them to 7k.

True unless you are a total klutz at shifting even with the clutch. See my post above about shifting UP to 1st.[:$]

More seriously, would shifting without the clutch have kept the rev difference from allowing the dog ring for 1st to even engage shifting at high revs from 2nd?

Even though I'm an "old dog" I would still like to learn to confidently shift without the clutch and to use 2 gears instead of trying to make a tall second "do". I can afford to buy dog rings more often if that is the major "risk".

Thanks,

Dick

I did the 2-1 "upshift" once too, I wasn't using the clutch, so I think the answer to your question is "probably not". For all you guys that are new to CM and new to a Hewland, go to their site and read how they recommend to shift......please. Clutchless is recommended! Basically, all the actions you've been doing in your synchro'd transmission still apply, only without the clutch, it's just the timing of the actions that change. It's easy, and it sounds sooooo cool!

Barry

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Nov 2010 07:31 PM
    Thanks Clemens!
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Nov 2010 07:32 PM

Easy for you to say!

your car is a stunning red!;)

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Nov 2010 09:20 PM
    Nice Avatar! Welcome to the class!
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Nov 2010 09:56 PM

Thanks!

That is the PO (at present present owner, heh!) running last year on an eastern road course. It seems as if running on a road course so recently is a pretty decent indication taht the car is fairly sound. He says it will outbrake even the newest FF.;)

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Nov 2010 11:39 PM

Tom,

Check it all in any case. Two reasons: To enjoy your purchase and to start learning how it is all put together.[:D]

Oh, and definately use those great brakes a lot. Your competitors will thank you.[:P]

Dick

CM85

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Nov 2010 03:20 AM

Heh!

(I will check it out thoroughly).

Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Nov 2010 12:46 PM

It appears that a few more people are finally catching on to the fact that CM and FM cars can be quite a bargain.

I just read the latest installment on Mazda MX-5 TireRack STR project car in GRM last night. Let's do a quick comparison:

After coming back from Nationals, they wrapped up the project for this season with a couple of comments:

"Our goal for this project has remained consistent: Build a competitive car using reasonably priced off-the-shelf parts while keeping the ride comfortable for daily driving. As we reflect on this premise, we think we hit the nail on the head.

However, we think there's more work to be done. Another season of sorting should help us bring home even more top-shelf hardware the next time we visit Lincoln."

They listed the cost of the upgrades, which came out to ~$6600 based on retail prices, most of it for a set of wheels, coil-overs, and an exhaust system. However, this also includes a set of tires ($650) and a few quarts of oil ($50), which I consider consumables and not part of a performance upgrade. Also, it is often possible to get parts for less than retail. Nevertheless, we are still talking about almost $6k just for bolt-on upgrades alone (they did not count the cost for a couple of alignments and some dyno tuning. This is in the neighborhood what Nick, Geoff, and Tom paid for their cars that came with spares and multiple sets of wheels (at least some of them). And the $6k for the GRM project does not even include a car, which is probably another $15-20k. The MX-5 keeps depreciating, while the guys who just bought the FFs can run their cars for five years and sell them again for the same price.

O.k., when purchasing a road race FF, one also needs the integral first gear, but it may also be possible to sell some of the spares that made sense for road racing, but less so for autocrossing, in order to finance the gears. Also, a tow vehicle and a trailer is an absolute must, which is additional cost and also requires storage space for the trailer. However, Tom, for example already has a trailer and tow vehicle, and most people own vehicles that are capable of pulling a FF on a light-weight trailer.

Note that the GRM article indicates that more money must be invested in the MX-5 next year. The article also shows a picture with the TireRack/GRM car sitting next to the winning car that has a dual-element wing on the trunk lid and an OS Giken sticker on the rear bumper. I am not sure what those cost, but am guessing $0.5-1k for the wing and $2k for the differential. No matter how you look at it, I believe the cost figures always come out in favor of the CM car. Also keep in mind that we are comparing cars with a 0.906 (CM) vs. 0.836 (STR) PAX numbers. Guess which one is more fun to drive, although it is hard to put a value on that aspect.

There are certainly a lot of decision factors that figure into car selection, and there is more that matters than just the cost of the car and the necessary modifications. People have different preferences and constraints, and the same car is not right for everybody. However, I am still amazed that STR was able to bring over 50 drivers to Lincoln this year and CM didn't even make the Rulebook minimum listed in Rule 4.9. That is even more amazing considering that STR didn't even exist one year ago and the guy who won in Lincoln isn't even a National Champion. When looking at these two classes, I know which I would pick, with the cost/fun ratio being a huge plus for CM.

Another great story is the guy in our region who just picked up an FM car for less than $3k. He finished his first event in the new car 7th out of 90 drivers based on PAX, just over one second out of first, and third based on raw time. He tows the race car with his old Subaru autocrosser using a little trailer that can be purchased at Lowe's for ~1k. And he now runs circles about the guys who have $30 k in their Subarus.

I thought it was neat to read the GRM MX-5 build and see the costs listed all in one place. Most people probably don't know for sure how much money they have in their cars, especially when spreading out the modifications over time, one or two at a time.

Clemens

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Nov 2010 01:18 PM

True all. I thought about going STR with my old Miata but that looks like a big hole in which to pour money to me. I ran my car two years and honed my driving skills until I felt my car was possibly holding me back. I started looking at options including Solstices and S2000's. I decided the S2000 was the better choice based on nationals results, but invest 12K in one of those and also face the bigger bill in either car for larger tires and after all that you are always a year away from a potential classing change which makes your car a non contender.

The CM will present a car that probably will not reasonably hold me back for a good long while and if and when I decide to sell it along will probably be about what I am paying for it.

Plus it should be a cerifiable HOOT to drive!

The only real drawback is I cannot drive it back and forth to work. I may keep the old Miata for that duty and sell off one of my old benzes.

Another plus is I can pull the CM on its little trailer with one of my old Mercedes diesels instead of my huge Dodge. (Though the big dodge will not use all that much more fuel than one of the benzes)!

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Nov 2010 05:02 PM

As Clemens says, a CM or FM car can be viable for MANY years. I bought an 85 VD in 1991 for about $10K (plus $2.5K for an extra engine "just in case") and got very carried away and spent maybe another $10K initially for all sorts of stuff. However, that "stuff" has served well for 18 years with very little work/money needed for non consumables in the interim. Towed the car initially with an 88 5.0 Mustang.

One of the really nice things about CM is that the car's competitiveness (not the driver, the car [:$]) ) hasn't changed in 8 "layoff" years. Try that in Stock, etc.

Meanwhile I get to pick daily drivers for what I want and can afford for a daily driver. No need to "worry" about autox competiveness.

Obviously a "non daily driver" and a trailer need a "place to stay" so a Mod car isn't for everyone who would like to have one and has the purchase price, etc but doesn't have available garage or trailer space.

The only thing I miss about a streetable autox car is being able to "test drive" it on the street. Of course, the last time I did that with my Lotus Europa in 1984 or so I got a ticket so maybe the loss isn't so great afterall. [;)]

Dick

CM85

85VD

adhowe70
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Nov 2010 07:38 PM

Clemens hits the nail on the head. It is hard to argue with the amount of fun that a CM car is given the price of entry. Here are what I see at the intimidating factors for the newcomers (speaking as a recent newcomer):

You have to work on them yourself. Not explicitly true, but you can't take it to the dealer. Also, the bumper to bumper warranty doesn't buy you much. That said, these cars are EASY to work on. And the hard stuff is easily farmed out to the specialty shops. How does a non-formula car guy figure this out? He or she needs to shadow an existing owner. I replaced the clutch slave cylinder with out even jacking the car up. I've got the entire front suspension off the car, but I could have it reassembled in a couple hours.

You need a tow rig and a trailer. This shouldn't be viewed as a tough one for most serious autocrossers. I've towed my stock class cars to and from Nationals since 2004 - basically ever since I bought a sports car. (A serious effort at Nationals requires more stuff than can fit on a baby sized tire trailer.) And for those that aren't heavily invested, you can tow these cars on a small trailer with just about anything. My car came with a trailer... gross loaded weight was around 2,000 pounds. We are, however, buying an enclosed trailer for those inclement weather days that are somewhat common in the Northwest.

Driving a Hewland. Folks... it isn't that hard. Roll off the throttle for a moment and shift with confidence. Everything will be just fine. Lay off the clutch, it doesn't do anything important unless you are in the paddock or grid. (I am still using the clutch going up to third gear and I dip it when coming back down.)

Where do you test it? On course. This is no big loss. Everything meaningful that you would learn should be learned on the track anyway. Anything over 1g on the street is just plain dumb given the design standards.

I paid $6k for car and trailer (and some spares). I put a set of new tires on it and can take TTOD at our regional events unless someone comes in from out of town. (Cheng / Milligan, Marich, etc.) I'm selling my ES Miata (with comparable spares and bigger trailer) for $7.5k. Tires cost the same. The CM car burns less (but more expensive) gas. My wife likes the CM car better. I traded up from an 0.825 index to a 0.906 index. By the end of August, I should be in a position to place the same at Nationals next year as I did this year.

Where is the down side?

Andy

barryott

--
    28 Nov 2010 08:50 AM
    adhowe70 wrote:

Driving a Hewland. Folks... it isn't that hard. Roll off the throttle for a moment and shift with confidence. Everything will be just fine. Lay off the clutch, it doesn't do anything important unless you are in the paddock or grid. (I am still using the clutch going up to third gear and I dip it when coming back down.)

Where do you test it? On course. This is no big loss. Everything meaningful that you would learn should be learned on the track anyway. Anything over 1g on the street is just plain dumb given the design standards.

Andy

Yeah, shifting a Hewland is easy, You pretty much do all the same stuff but the timing is a little different

Testing: We have a local cart track that lets me run my FF there. It has Autocross sized features, I don't quite get to the top of 4th on the longest straight and it's only $50 a day. It's the best testing I've ever had for any of my autocross cars! Maybe other places have similar tracks, it's worth asking around???

barryott

--
    28 Nov 2010 08:50 AM
    adhowe70 wrote:

Andy

Yeah, shifting a Hewland is easy, You pretty much do all the same stuff but the timing is a little different

Testing: We have a local cart track that lets me run my FF there. It has Autocross sized features, I don't quite get to the top of 4th on the longest straight and it's only $50 a day. It's the best testing I've ever had for any of my autocross cars! Maybe other places have similar tracks, it's worth asking around???

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Dec 2010 01:49 PM
    pru wrote:

1985 Reynard FF : DE / includes open trailer / $6500

I am heading out Saturday dark and early to go look at and hopefully bring this one home to the Indy region!

Jimmy and I are going.

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Dec 2010 06:42 AM
    I have been offered some nice steel sawhorses which I am seriously considering. The same fellow is offering gears marked 20/32 for the tranny. Is this a gear that would be useful to an autocrosser?
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Dec 2010 07:55 AM
    Assuming a 9:31 r&p the 20/32 is about 84mph at 6800 rpm. That might be a good choice for 3rd or 4th depending on your gearing "philosopy" regarding second gear.

Dick
    t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    14 Dec 2010 10:21 PM

So Jimmy and I went off on Saturday morning early to go to Deleware and check out and hopefully bring back the 85 Reynard FF. Our plan was working to a T until we hit Wheeling WVA and the truck died!

Yikes!

So we got the truck towed to Middle Creek Towing and did some investigation and we preliminarily decided it was a bad lift pump on the big Cummnins. They then towed the beast to the Dodge dealer for verification and repair on Monday.

On the good side, When I broke down I called my formula ford seller and he agreed to bring the race car here!

So on Sunday about 100 we went to the local municipal park (at the suggestion of the local gendarme) and test drove the little car around a large parking lot. I managed to spin it 270 degrees on slicks in the rain and I was just trying to check all the gears. It is a tight fit but I believe I will be able to have a lot of fun with it.

After that we went over to the towing service/auto repair/storage units/uhaul rental place that towed me in off the highway. They very generously (they are racers) allowed us to pull the race car into their garage where the seller pulled off all the body panels and explained how to fill this and adjust that for about an hour, then they allowed me to put it inside their fenced lot for security. (Thanks Doug, Gary and Gary at Middle Creek Towing!)

So Saturday did not end so well but Sunday was a pretty grand day.

Monday we were at the Dealer when they opened. After a few hours the diagnosis was confirmed and the parts ordered from Cleveland. They did some of the disassembly work on Monday afternoon so when the parts arrived at 8 am they were able to finish the Big Dog by 1015 am. We then picked up the FF from the impound at Middle Creek towing and headed home.

The FF is in the garage now thawing out.

And after Four days of forced companionship Jimmy and I are still friends and planning to co drive the Reynard next year.

The only fly in the ointment is that while the Big Dodge was at the dealership on Sat evening and Sunday someone stole my lightweight floor jack out of the back.

But I am still feeling pretty good about the Reynard!

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    14 Dec 2010 10:26 PM

Congratulations and welcome to CM!

Dick

CM 85

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Dec 2010 04:17 PM
    Thanks very much!
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Dec 2010 01:30 PM

Via ApexSpeed : 1985 Mondiale M85S

I have a 1985 Mondiale M85S For Sale. I know the sister car to mine has been doing auto X for a number of years now. Mine is set up to club race but can easily be converted over to run auto X. If you do a search on here it should be in the FF classifieds. Looking to sell as a roller.

Andrew
    thunderracing191@hotmail.com

Looks like the car has been on/off the market several times...

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 Dec 2010 04:52 PM

Pru, I'm assuming this one is still for sale though. Already set up for autocross.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...ostcount=9

Robert Puertas
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    20 Dec 2010 05:20 PM
    GChambers wrote:

Pru, I'm assuming this one is still for sale though. Already set up for autocross.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...ostcount=9

Nope.

That one is now mine.

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Jan 2011 03:00 PM

Via ApexSpeed : Crossle 65F

2010 Championship winning car in OFFC B Class. Crossle 65F, scholar based engine, double Koni's, Aim (new in 10), fuel cell inspected apr 10, new belts may 10, panasports, spares, good solid regional car. $10K CDN, FOB Buffalo. Brian 705 456 9781 or brian.bgr@xplornet.com
    GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Jan 2011 11:57 AM
    pru wrote:

Via ApexSpeed : Crossle 65F

2010 Championship winning car in OFFC B Class. Crossle 65F, scholar based engine, double Koni's, Aim (new in 10), fuel cell inspected apr 10, new belts may 10, panasports, spares, good solid regional car. $10K CDN, FOB Buffalo. Brian 705 456 9781 or brian.bgr@xplornet.com

Wow, I like that. Someone get on this one.

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    15 Jan 2011 12:34 PM
    Found while browsing eBay: 1983 Van Dieman Formula Ford

Not mine nor anyone I know, but this car was listed before at roughly the same time last year : http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37333

Like I noted in the thread from last year, appears to be a nice car. Only wish it was a bit closer to take a look in person and/or haul it home!
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Jan 2011 07:41 PM
    Via ApexSpeed : RF90 Van Diemen / $16,000 / Sioux Falls, SD / Set up for Solo...
    ffrgtm

--
    20 Jan 2011 12:16 AM
    Thanks pru :) Listed on this forum now and I decided $15,500 open to offers and trades was suitable.
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Feb 2011 11:32 AM

Patrick Bullis's Reynard FF83 / Trailer : $10,750 / $7,500 - $17,500 as package

via ApexSpeed (w Photo's) : 83 Reynard & Pace Trailer

Posted in SCCAForums Classifieds as well...

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Feb 2011 11:39 AM
    Via eBay / ApexSpeed : 1992 Ray FF Roller (i.e. less engine) NJ
    Jim G
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Feb 2011 08:42 PM
    Just spotted a nice car for sale over at apexspeed.

Other features on this car, it has cockpit adjustable front and rear sway bars, SCCA log book, spares include new nose, pictures upon request, motor freshened July 10, thanks to those giving it some consideration.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=43597

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Mar 2011 10:15 AM
    Via ApexSpeed : 1981 VanDieman, NY, $8500
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 May 2011 08:52 PM
    Via ApexSpeed: VanDieman RF-84, Fresh Engine, $5900, CA
    GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11 May 2011 10:05 AM
    GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11 May 2011 10:10 AM
    pru wrote:

Yea, this one would be a fantastic CM starter! That engine would be good for probably 10 years. Some polishing, maybe some paint and it could be a real looker too. Someone needs to jump on this. I'm pleasantly suprised with how well mine has done on the autocross course so far. I think it's a great car for the class.

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    16 May 2011 10:09 AM
    pru wrote:

This car was apparently sold to an autocrosser.

Robert Puertas
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 May 2011 11:33 AM

Rumor has it that car is staying here in So Cal.

Only 10 more cars and we'll catch Cen-div!

:-)

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 May 2011 01:35 PM
    eBay : 1977 Reynard - Formula Ford, KY, Currently the car is geared and set up for Autocross. Includes open trailer.
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 May 2011 07:13 PM
    Pru, Jim, and Peter (and the rest of the "old timers"):

It sure looks like your (and our) efforts to "sell" CM and to provide helpful info is really paying off. LOTS of new to CM FF's in the last 12 months! Somebody should figure out how many.

Reminds me of the early 90's when I started. It is really good to see so much new "blood". I remember the first time I attended the Solo 2 Nationals in CM in 93 (I think) there were about 5 previous year or past National Champions running from other classes running in CM.

Dick
    CM since 92. Hoping to show up at Nats in 2012.
    na94

--
    29 May 2011 08:17 PM

CM is looking pretty good. We now have 5 on the west coast I think which is up from 1 sleeping in a garage.

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 May 2011 09:38 AM
    Via ApexSpeed : 1985 VanDiemen RF85, $7000, Dundas, Ontario (one hour west of Toronto)
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 May 2011 12:09 PM
    pru wrote:
    Via ApexSpeed : 1985 VanDiemen RF85, $7000, Dundas, Ontario (one hour west of Toronto)

See the roll bar comments on ApexSpeed. The large driver capability, the aluminum head, Pi Dash with wheel speed sensors, etc. might make it a good deal since the 85VD's are pretty good autox cars in my opinion and probably Mark Lamm's and Nick Meyer's opinions. :-)

PCalhoun
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 May 2011 05:10 PM
    DickR wrote:
    pru wrote:

See the roll bar comments on ApexSpeed. The large driver capability, the aluminum head, Pi Dash with wheel speed sensors, etc. might make it a good deal since the 85VD's are pretty good autox cars in my opinion and probably Mark Lamm's and Nick Meyer's opinions. :-)

Rollbar covering shouold be non-issue, it is similair to what Reynard used to do. Head alone if done by RFD w/ a matching intake is $3k+ new. This car is a great deal in parts alone if you are in CenDiv or NEDiv and can make a trip across the border (or better yet have the seller transport it across).

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 May 2011 05:20 PM
    Peter,

Any idea what this statement in the ad means?

"Roll hoop is skinned double hoop to European/Canadian spec, not to SCCA spec. CASC log book, and FIA ASN Canada log book."

FYI: The guy that Tom bought his 85 Reynard from seems very interested in this car.

Also it sounded like (live feed) that Nick Meyers just won CM at Lincoln in his 85 VD.

Dick
    Owner of a car that "should be fast"
    PCalhoun
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 May 2011 08:46 PM
    DickR wrote:
    Peter,

Any idea what this statement in the ad means?

"Roll hoop is skinned double hoop to European/Canadian spec, not to SCCA spec. CASC log book, and FIA ASN Canada log book."

FYI: The guy that Tom bought his 85 Reynard from seems very interested in this car.

Also it sounded like (live feed) that Nick Meyers just won CM at Lincoln in his 85 VD.

Dick
    Owner of a car that "should be fast"

Dick,

I take it to mean that the main roll hoop has been upgraded to two hoops and then covered in aluminum. If you look at the one pic close you should find it quite a bit wider than your OE VD hoop. Reynard used this method when they had two hoops running down at angles to the main horizontal frame rails.

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Jun 2011 11:44 AM
    That VanDiemen sure didn't last long.
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Jun 2011 11:11 AM
    Via ApexSpeed : 1983 VanDiemen RF83, $7000, Dundas, Ontario (one hour west of Toronto)
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Jun 2011 05:39 PM
    Via ApexSpeed : 1982 LeGrand Mk27 FF, $11,000, Montclair, CA (photo's)
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jul 2011 12:26 PM

It was great talking to those of you interested in purchasing a CM car in Toledo last weekend. At that time, I noted that a good car could be purchased in the $7500 to $15000 range. I also noted that sometimes deals pop up on the low end of that range. Well, here is one of the best deals I have seen in years:

83 Reynard + Spares, $8900, Chicago, IL

That is, the value of this package far exceeds its asking price.

PCalhoun
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jul 2011 06:44 PM

CM Shoppers- This Reynard and spares pkg is a steal at $8900 and has a documented nationally competitive CM history, including two second place finishes at Solo Nationals/Forbes Field. Includes all CM & FF legal updates; aluminum cylinder head w/ matching intake by CCH ($3k+ new), fresh engine by Jim Justice of Justice Engines (ex-Quicksilver) w/ one season, Hewland blueprinted gearbox by Taylor Race Engineering w/ auto-x gears, Two Dogg (TDI) alum diff carrier, Tilton F3 Clutch, lightened flywheel, double-adjustable Fox/Penske shocks by Stimola, Hyperco springs, TDI lightened rotors, mild steel HyTech Tri-Y header w/ anti-reversionaries, Coast Muffler to meet Solo sound, Mark Bushman built starter, and more.

Elzinga just smoked the class at the Toledo Tour w/ a similar car.

Call Pat Bullis and buy this car. Tires are cheap, maintenance costs are low, and you can tow it on an open trailer behind almost anything!

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11 Jul 2011 08:59 AM

The parts alone in this car are probably worth more than the asking price for the whole car with spares.

If I didn't already have a recently refreshed CM car (with no where near the number of "go faster parts" in this one) I would be seriously thinking of changing cars.

Dick

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Jul 2011 12:36 PM
    Larry Harts bought this car yesterday. It's on it's way to the Indy region. :-)
    Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Jul 2011 01:18 AM

Darn, I missed that one by days. It was a steal at that price.

Mark

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Jul 2011 07:07 PM

Any reason not to follow up on this one especially now that it is down to $10K? http://siouxfallsracing.com/Forum/v...mp;start=0

Mark

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Jul 2011 07:08 PM
    Markwrx wrote:

Any reason not to follow up on this one especially now that it is down to $10K? http://siouxfallsracing.com/Forum/v...mp;start=0

Mark

I cannot think of any reason not to pursue given that it has already been configured for Solo. That is, the tough stuff (LD200 gearing) has already been done.

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    20 Jul 2011 12:12 PM
    This one is back on the market. Original deal apparently fell through.

http://apexspeed.com/forums/showthr...hp?t=46447
    Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Jul 2011 03:05 PM

The Van Diemen is in Montreal. The last guy backed out because he could not get it shipped for less than $4000. Daniel, the seller, said someone could come up and get it and take it into the US through customs(but legally he could not do it) and then shipping would be a lot cheaper. Anyone know how this all works? Anyone interested in a road trip?

Mark

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 Jul 2011 05:00 PM
    If it were me and in the budget I'd give that 90 VD a shot.
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    20 Jul 2011 06:31 PM
    Markwrx wrote:

The Van Diemen is in Montreal. The last guy backed out because he could not get it shipped for less than $4000. Daniel, the seller, said someone could come up and get it and take it into the US through customs(but legally he could not do it) and then shipping would be a lot cheaper. Anyone know how this all works? Anyone interested in a road trip?

Mark

Ask on Apex. I think the question has come up before.

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Jul 2011 07:10 PM
    GChambers wrote:
    If it were me and in the budget I'd give that 90 VD a shot.

I lean towards the 90VD too, but the guy has not returned my e mails.

Mark

He has now returned my e mail and I have an appointment to see it next week. I also found out what I needed to know about car shipping.

Mark

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Jul 2011 11:54 AM

Via ApexSpeed: Swift DB1, Fresno, CA, $15,000

Quote:

Complete car and spares
    Chromoly frame with updates
    22 gearsets and carrying case
    Updated transaxle with 9:31 R&P
    Ivey engine plus spare head, pan, misc. engine parts
    Ceramic coated Hi-Tech header and muffler
    Triple Penskes
    3 sets of centerlock Panasport wheels
    Recently rebuilt or replaced rear uprights, axles, cv's by FastForward
    Cockpit adjustable rear bar and brake bias
    SPARES:
    Nose-new
    Front & rear uprights-rebuilt
    Front & rear A-arms and rockers-new
    Front & rear sheer plates-new
    Master cylinders-new
    Starter-rebuilt
    Rotors-used
    Stub axles, axle shafts, cv's-used
    Header-used
    Koni shocks & springs-used
    Body panels-new & used
    Other misc. new and used parts
    Also quick lift jack and stands
    Car is in excellent condition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PICTURES WILL FOLLOW A.S.A.P
    $15,000
    Lack of time and wife's illlness forces sale.
    Jim Bishop
    Fresno, CA
    (559)779-1007-cell
    jbishop00@aol.com

Sho Torii
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Jul 2011 08:59 AM
    pru wrote:

Via ApexSpeed: Swift DB1, Fresno, CA, $15,000

Quote:
    Complete car and spares
    Chromoly frame with updates
    22 gearsets and carrying case
    Updated transaxle with 9:31 R&P
    Ivey engine plus spare head, pan, misc. engine parts
    Ceramic coated Hi-Tech header and muffler
    Triple Penskes
    3 sets of centerlock Panasport wheels
    Recently rebuilt or replaced rear uprights, axles, cv's by FastForward
    Cockpit adjustable rear bar and brake bias
    SPARES:
    Nose-new
    Front & rear uprights-rebuilt
    Front & rear A-arms and rockers-new
    Front & rear sheer plates-new
    Master cylinders-new
    Starter-rebuilt
    Rotors-used
    Stub axles, axle shafts, cv's-used
    Header-used
    Koni shocks & springs-used
    Body panels-new & used
    Other misc. new and used parts
    Also quick lift jack and stands
    Car is in excellent condition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PICTURES WILL FOLLOW A.S.A.P
    $15,000
    Lack of time and wife's illlness forces sale.
    Jim Bishop
    Fresno, CA
    (559)779-1007-cell
    jbishop00@aol.com

I understand that this car is not prepared for autocross. Am I right? How much work will have to be done to prep an FF for autocross?

TIA

adhowe70
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Jul 2011 10:03 AM

The prep will be almost all transaxle related. You'll want to replace the layshaft with the integral first gear unit because of all the standing starts we do. You'll also want a whole fleet of road racing second gear ratios to re-gear the remainder of the box to match the speeds we actually drive. The parts aren't cheap, but it is easy to do.

Andy Howe

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Jul 2011 10:42 AM
    The 1st gear rarely is found used... So, plan on $450.

But he lists 22 gearsets in the listing... When I bought my car, I was able to sell off several sets that more than made up for the gears I needed to buy. I was able to find 2nd, 3rd, and 4th used as well. Except for the fixed 1st gear, you can plan on $50 either buying or selling used gears.
    Sho Torii
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Jul 2011 01:28 PM

Thank you for the quick replies! So the total cost to convert a road race prepped FF to an autocross car will be $500+ in gears and some elbow grease? Will there be anything else?

Pardon a stupid question from a total noob in FF: Does an FF have a limited slip diff? I haven't seen one mentioned in ads.

Lynn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Jul 2011 01:36 PM
    Limited slip diff's are not legal.
    Sho Torii
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Jul 2011 03:10 PM
    Lynn wrote:
    Limited slip diff's are not legal.

Thanks! I stumbled upon a great thread here "Moving to C Mod an Introduction" authored by Peter Calhoun et al. I should have read the thread before posting the stupid question.

adhowe70
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Jul 2011 11:06 PM
    It isn't autocross prep, but you'll spend money on supplies to build yourself a custom seat. You might also spend some money on a set of hotter spark plugs ($10, seriously). Another item that is reasonably common is cooling fans for the radiators, but this is very car / owner dependent.

By far, you'll spend more time learning how to do stuff on the car than spending money to do it.
    Sho Torii
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Jul 2011 08:40 AM
    adhowe70 wrote:
    It isn't autocross prep, but you'll spend money on supplies to build yourself a custom seat. You might also spend some money on a set of hotter spark plugs ($10, seriously). Another item that is reasonably common is cooling fans for the radiators, but this is very car / owner dependent.

By far, you'll spend more time learning how to do stuff on the car than spending money to do it.

Thanks! I would love to learn how to do stuff on the car by myself! I guess I can learn a great deal by asking questions here at ApexSpeed.

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Jul 2011 09:26 PM
    Sho Torii wrote:
    adhowe70 wrote:

Thanks! I would love to learn how to do stuff on the car by myself! I guess I can learn a great deal by asking questions here at ApexSpeed.

It's really unbelievable how helpful the rest of the CM guys are. You won't have any trouble adjusting.

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Aug 2011 09:10 PM

EuroSwift SC93 Complete Package, AZ, $10,500

Quote:

1993 EuroSwift SC93 FF

Completely track ready.
    Pushrod suspension on both ends
    Ivey Engine with 15 hours, build receipt for 5700.00
    New:
    Rod bearings, main bearings, SCAT crank.
    +5 Complete pistons with pinset and spirolocs, wristpins, timing chain,tensioner and follower. Engine contains all of the
    newest and best parts., Ivey dyno sheet available to serious inquirers.
    K&N air filter
    Haynes Weber Manual

LD 200 with the following ratios:
    First:
    16:34
    18:34
    Top gears:
    18:32
    20:27
    20:30
    23:28
    22:30
    25:27

All dog rings and gears new or slightly used.

1 set(4) Panasports lightly used
    1 set (4) Panasports brand new in boxes from Porter, never had tires mounted

AIM Mychron Data System, with USB cable, oil pressure, H2O temp, wheel speed sensor, integral lateral G sensor, RPM, etc.

New Aluminum radiators, never mounted, one spare used brass stock radiator.

Rev limiter installed (6700 RPM) stock rotor as spare

All suspension pieces removed, crack tested and painted 2011.

OEM SPAX shocks rebuilt and dynoed 2011.

Removable steering wheel.

All rod ends/heims new or near new.

New Crow belts, 2011

Carbon/Kevlar brake pads (Averill)

One set of single heat cycle Goodyear 430 slicks. One set of used, one weekend Sumitomo radials, suitable for rain use.

New in car battery, with Tender.
    New Jump battery with external charger/Anderson plug

Hardwired AMB Transponder

Spares:
    Front upright
    Rear upright
    Rear sway bar
    Two brake rotors
    European muffler
    Misc pushrods/ bits and pieces

Complete setup notes, and receipts in binders.

Roll hoop SCCA compliant, with front aluminum crushbox, no SCCA logbook, but they have homoligation records.

In Laws' health issues forces sale.

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Aug 2011 01:47 PM

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=47113

Unf!!!! Someone please buy this and bring it to grid so I can drool on it.

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Aug 2011 11:14 PM

That is an amazing car. I thought my 90 Van Diemen had some nice engineering. Things just keep getting "better".

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Sep 2011 08:48 PM

Via Sports 2000 Forum : Royale RP-37 S-2000 # 17 $14,000 OBO

Quote:
    1984 Royale, running olds quad 4 engine, started life as pinto 2000. Been in canada for years. Spares, gears, tires, compomotives(12) etc. selling due to finances.
    See PRNmag.com/formula or sports racer.
    Best offer now.

PRN Ad : Royale RP-37 S-2000 # 17 NEW PRICE

Lynn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Sep 2011 12:09 AM
    The Royale is not legal for CM due to the Olds engine. Per the GCR, the only legal engine for S2000 is the Ford 2 liter. The Royale would be legal for BM.
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Sep 2011 08:44 AM
    Lynn wrote:
    The Royale is not legal for CM due to the Olds engine. Per the GCR, the only legal engine for S2000 is the Ford 2 liter. The Royale would be legal for BM.

Lynn,

Yep, due to the Olds engine, it would be a BM car, but this car started life as true Ford powered S2. That is, someone could buy the car and compete initially in BM or swap out the Old with Ford for CM.

I posted this car as there have been very few S2 for sale in this price range. There are folks who would like to run a S2, but reasonably price cars have been hard to find. Given the sellers situation, I would think that this car could be had for less than the $14,000 asking price. That is, I am sure you could convert this car to Ford power and have a CM S2 for a total cost of ~$15,000.

barryott

--
    06 Sep 2011 08:44 AM
    <shameless plug, sorry> I have a Pinto motor that will be available soon if somebody wants to make the Royale CM legal again. <shameless plug, sorry>
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Sep 2011 09:58 AM

Via ApexSpeed: Zink Z10B, VA, $8,500

pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Sep 2011 10:02 AM
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Oct 2011 05:12 PM
    Via ApexSpeed : 84 Citation FF , CT
    mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Oct 2011 10:46 PM
    OK, I'm now officially looking for a good Ford. Swift and Reynard at top of list, but if anyone knows of a good car at a fair price, I'm openminded. In a perfect world, the deal would include trailer, since I'd prefer to go to something lighter than my current 18' tandem axle. I'm located in Northern California, but have no problem looking at stuff midwest/back east.

Thanks for any help or thoughts shared.
    Mike
    adhowe70
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Oct 2011 11:00 PM
    mwood wrote:
    OK, I'm now officially looking for a good Ford. Swift and Reynard at top of list, but if anyone knows of a good car at a fair price, I'm openminded. In a perfect world, the deal would include trailer, since I'd prefer to go to something lighter than my current 18' tandem axle. I'm located in Northern California, but have no problem looking at stuff midwest/back east.

Mike

Now we're talking! There is a1983 Van Diemen available in Bend, Oregon that would make a decent CM car. Price sounds negotiable with this motivated seller, but I don't know if it is already gone yet or not.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=htt...Et_H74dRaw

Andy

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Oct 2011 11:00 PM
    mwood wrote:

Mike

What, you're looking for something to beat the Van Diemen?

mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Oct 2011 08:42 PM
    ^Nah, I love your Van Diemen, but I lust after the Swift DB1 ;-)

Andy, I'm looking for an inboard suspension car...they're just too cool.
    adhowe70
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Oct 2011 09:39 PM
    The 1983 VD's are as inboard as my Reynard... which is to say it is a rocker arm car. Not saying this is the right car for you, just pointing out that little tidbit.
    mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Oct 2011 10:05 PM
    adhowe70 wrote:
    The 1983 VD's are as inboard as my Reynard... which is to say it is a rocker arm car. Not saying this is the right car for you, just pointing out that little tidbit.

[newbie]My bad. I thought that year VD was outboard coil over. I also did not know the Reynard was a rocker arm inboard.

I have much to learn. I drove two events in Fords back in '96-'97 in vintage racing (when my primary ride, i.e. my car, was a Crusader FV), but outside of that experience, am starting from scratch.[/newbie]

adhowe70
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Oct 2011 10:48 PM
    The outboard to inboard transition happened in the '81 - '83 era. '83 might be the first year of inboard suspension on the Van Diemens. I had to look at the photos in the ad to make sure that the car was inboard. My '82 Reynard is nearly the very first inboard Reynard chassis... it is #3 of the 82's which were the first year of inboard suspension.
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11 Oct 2011 08:15 AM
    mwood wrote:

http://apexspeed.com/forums/showthr...hp?t=32092

I think this is an inboard suspension car. It is in Belmont so easy to go see. You are into low volume cars, right? :-)

Dick

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Oct 2011 10:06 AM

DB-1: $15,000(CA)
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=47113

DB-1: $17,700 (CA)
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46468

DB-1 or DB-3: $15,000 (TX) DB-3 is longer in the engine bay
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47416

Reynard Roller: $9000 (IN)
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47702

Add motor: $3500 (CA)
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48286

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Oct 2011 11:08 AM

Mike,

Two Swifts in Ca! Let me know if you are going to look at one and maybe I can go too.

Mark

Sho Torii
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Oct 2011 10:12 PM
    mwood wrote:

Mike,

I know I'm biassed but the Citation is a very pretty car. This one looks like a pretty good deal: http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=48406

Sho

mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 Oct 2011 12:31 AM
    Thanks for the leads, guys.

OK...going down the list:

I know the owner of the Anson, Mike McHugh, and he is a good guy...but, I want something that isn't a one off, if that makes sense.

The Swift in Fresno is sold. I spoke with Jim Bishop today and he told me he sold it in August...guess he needs to update his apexspeed post.

The other Swift is still for sale and local to me...the asking price is outside of what I'm willing to spend, but the owner is (evidently) a good guy and I'm going to look at the car Saturday, mostly to make sure I fit in a DB1.

The other (other) Swift in Texas? I'm not sure what it really is all about. Same with the Reynard roller.

The Citation is interesting, but I don't think the $14k price includes a 2009 20' enclosed trailer, somehow. So, is $14k a good price for what appears to be a nice Citation...can I get someone to take a look at it for me... and how much to ship??

...the hunt is just starting!

Oh, and I'll throw this one into the mix...it is local to the SF Bay Area,. Question: can you fit the later front end bodywork to the earlier VD? I have certain aesthetic standards which need be met before I part with any cash ;-)

http://www.baautox.com/forum/index....amp;rid=27
    adhowe70
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    12 Oct 2011 01:28 AM
    Well, the radiator is in the nose so that limits you somewhat...
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Oct 2011 07:55 AM
    mwood wrote:
    Oh, and I'll throw this one into the mix...it is local to the SF Bay Area,. Question: can you fit the later front end bodywork to the earlier VD? I have certain aesthetic standards which need be met before I part with any cash ;-)

Mike,

The noted car looks to be either a '82 or '83 Van Dieman (hard to tell without seeing the rear bodywork). Honestly, for the $7500 price, I would stop looking and just buy this car; it's ready to go (i.e. Solo gearing) and looks fairly well maintained. That is, run the noted car for a couple of years while keeping your eye open for a DB1/etc. At the $7500 price point, you'll likey get back most of what you invest upon selling and have a great time running CM while you look for your next car.

Take care,

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Oct 2011 09:39 AM
    mwood wrote:
    Thanks for the leads, guys.

OK...going down the list:

I know the owner of the Anson, Mike McHugh, and he is a good guy...but, I want something that isn't a one off, if that makes sense.

The Swift in Fresno is sold. I spoke with Jim Bishop today and he told me he sold it in August...guess he needs to update his apexspeed post.

The other Swift is still for sale and local to me...the asking price is outside of what I'm willing to spend, but the owner is (evidently) a good guy and I'm going to look at the car Saturday, mostly to make sure I fit in a DB1.

The other (other) Swift in Texas? I'm not sure what it really is all about. Same with the Reynard roller.

The Citation is interesting, but I don't think the $14k price includes a 2009 20' enclosed trailer, somehow. So, is $14k a good price for what appears to be a nice Citation...can I get someone to take a look at it for me... and how much to ship??

...the hunt is just starting!

I agree with your opinion on the Anson. Bummer the Fresno car is sold. It was my favorite.. Tell the owner of the Bay Area Swift what you are willing to spend, and see if he takes you up on it by the end of the winter...

I happen to agree, aestetics mean a lot to me.. Even at a much lower price point I couldn't put the '82/'83 VD in my garage.

My favorite of the bunch is the Citation. Clearly they can be fast in autox trim(Jim Garry, Wendall), excellent components (new motor, penske's, aim dash, tilton clutch, etc..) Based on the listing I think the trailer is included. :)

barryott

--
    12 Oct 2011 10:01 AM

Yeah, I thought 14k included the trailer too??? There was a thread on shipping cars on Apexspeed a little while ago, I added the link to the Citation thread on Apexspeed

Good luck!

Barry

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Oct 2011 10:24 AM
    pru wrote:
    mwood wrote:

Mike,

The noted car looks to be either a '82 or '83 Van Dieman (hard to tell without seeing the rear bodywork). Honestly, for the $7500 price, I would stop looking and just buy this car; it's ready to go (i.e. Solo gearing) and looks fairly well maintained. That is, run the noted car for a couple of years while keeping your eye open for a DB1/etc. At the $7500 price point, you'll likey get back most of what you invest upon selling and have a great time running CM while you look for your next car.

Take care,

The guys in Sac are running an 83 VD. It has semi inboard suspension. Davey, the son, would like to have a new car. Mike, Send me an e mail so we can talk off line. mwizard@earthlink.net.

Mark

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 Oct 2011 11:24 AM
    mwood wrote:

Agreed. Some may think my 84 VD is on the ugly side but it's pretty to me. :-) Those earlier cars, not so much. I couldn't own one.

BTW, that Citation is beautiful. I'm not crazy about the paint scheme but that's not a difficult fix. The lines of the car are gorgeous. I spent quite a few minutes admiring that car in Toledo.

The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 Oct 2011 11:41 AM
    You guys are nuts. That old VD is hot - although I am mostly looking at the awesome blue (Laguna Seca Blue?). Nose wouldn't bother me at all (almost looks like an 'M' bumper opening). Wife leaving me if I bought it might be a problem though.
    mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 Oct 2011 07:53 PM
    I agree with you guys, that Citation is sweet. I guess the deal is that it has a bit of an unknown, in terms of engine, which explains the price w/trailer. Still, if the car wasn't in CT (3000 miles away), I'd very likely buy it. Maybe the owner would be open to a bid for just the car...a price that takes into account the motor and my cost to get the car out here...I'll send him an email or give a call.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who is a sucker for a pretty car ;-)

btw, I don't think the '85 up VD's are ugly...I like the looks of Mark's car...functional, no frills.
    Sho Torii
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Oct 2011 09:27 PM
    mwood wrote:
    I agree with you guys, that Citation is sweet. I guess the deal is that it has a bit of an unknown, in terms of engine, which explains the price w/trailer. Still, if the car wasn't in CT (3000 miles away), I'd very likely buy it. Maybe the owner would be open to a bid for just the car...a price that takes into account the motor and my cost to get the car out here...I'll send him an email or give a call.

Although the engine might have been built by a non-professional, it seems to have all the right (and new) parts, such as the forged pistons and the aluminum head. Even if you choose to have the engine rebuilt by a reputable builder in the future, the cost should be minimal because of those new parts.

Good luck!

mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    12 Oct 2011 09:37 PM
    Sho Torii wrote:
    mwood wrote:

Although the engine might have been built by a non-professional, it seems to have all the right (and new) parts, such as the forged pistons and the aluminum head. Even if you choose to have the engine rebuilt by a reputable builder in the future, the cost should be minimal because of those new parts.

Good luck!

Yeah...just hope you don't lose too many of those hard parts if it lets go due to an assembly issue

May not matter (to me, anyhow), the car might be sold, according to an email response from the owner.

I'm going to just keep my eyes open and take my time, I think. Prices seem to have gone up over the summer months and that should bring a good number of cars out of the woodwork. I restored/rebuilt the FV I ran in vintage and am not afraid of a project (as long as everything is there), so that's another option. In any case, no reason to spend money needlessly and I can always play with my MR2 in STR some more...although, to be honest, driving Mark's car has forever ruined me for anything street tires or stock. :-)

On the other hand, something good comes up, I'm all over it!
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    13 Oct 2011 07:45 AM
    Mike,

You better like the looks of an 85 Van Diemen, especially in yellow, or my wife and I will kill you if we meet at Nationals. :-)

We actually prefer the look of the VD compared to the Swift DB-1 it was "heavily influenced by" :-)

Dick
    85 VD . . . since 1991
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Oct 2011 01:11 PM
    I as well like the look of the '85/'86 VD's better than the swift. I think I have ownership bias though.

My rear deck doesn't seem as bulky as the db-1, and I like my side mounted radiators better.. I do like the rounded nose of the db-1 better than my square nose.
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    13 Oct 2011 01:29 PM
    Me too. Plus you should have seen the price differential between the 85 VD and the DB-1 in 1991. No way I was going to pay DB-1 prices for an autox car . . . of course the first thing I did with it was get my regional road racing license . . . before running out of money and energy. :-)
    mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    13 Oct 2011 09:12 PM
    DickR wrote:
    Mike,

You better like the looks of an 85 Van Diemen, especially in yellow, or my wife and I will kill you if we meet at Nationals. :-)

We actually prefer the look of the VD compared to the Swift DB-1 it was "heavily influenced by"  :-)

Dick
    85 VD . . . since 1991

I like the look of the '85-up VD's, like I said...it is those earlier, front radiator cars that look funky, in my humble opinion.

I'm going to check out a Swift this weekend, but I think it will be just a fun visit, as the price is way more than I'll spend on a FFord. The guy knows that, so its all good.

I really (really) liked the lines on that Citation, but it has been sold...and was 3000miles away!
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Oct 2011 07:37 AM

Mark Sirota's 88 VD is for sale. Somebody on the East Coast, preferably the SE, needs to buy this car!

http://apexspeed.com/forums/showthr...hp?t=48671

Dick

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Oct 2011 09:48 AM
    mwood wrote:
    I like the look of the '85-up VD's, like I said...it is those earlier, front radiator cars that look funky, in my humble opinion.

I'm going to check out a Swift this weekend, but I think it will be just a fun visit, as the price is way more than I'll spend on a FFord. The guy knows that, so its all good.

How was the swift?

msirota
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Oct 2011 11:40 AM
    Many thanks for posting that link, Dick. Chris has reset my account, so now I can post here again...
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Oct 2011 12:11 PM
    Mark Sirota wrote:
    Many thanks for posting that link, Dick. Chris has reset my account, so now I can post here again...

Mark,

I'm surprised Pru didn't beat me to the cross post. I purposely waited until this morning after seeing your ApexSpeed post last night.

Sorry to hear you have decided other things (like family) have more priority or interest . . . just in time for my hoped for return to active status next year. I'm sure I did NOT scare you away!

Good luck with the sale. It was a great car. I think the first time I saw it was at a Pro Solo on the tiny, bumpy, lot at a Jeep plant in Toledo? It was pretty much still in road race trim if I'm remembering correctly (that was a looooooong time ago).

Dick

msirota
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Oct 2011 01:49 PM
    Yep, that was Toledo 1994, the year I bought the car. That was a terrible site, and I had just barely begun to figure out the car.

As I've been working on the car to get it ready for sale, I've really been missing autocrossing. I do miss running against you and the rest of the crowd, and I do feel like I have unfinished business in CM, though many of the regulars from our era have moved on.

And now that Sho has Jim/Josh/Peter's Citation in my area, I might actually have nearby competition, but that doesn't seem to be enough of a draw for me. I would like to get out there again, but probably with a co-drive rather than my own car.
    Sho Torii
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Oct 2011 07:13 PM
    DickR wrote:

Mark Sirota's 88 VD is for sale. Somebody on the East Coast, preferably the SE, needs to buy this car!

http://apexspeed.com/forums/showthr...hp?t=48671

Dick

No, no, no! Someone form NE or Mid Atlantic buy this car! :-)

Mark,

Take the VD out to Warminster on Nov 6 if the weather cooperates. I'll be there to give you a competition.

Sho

mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    25 Oct 2011 09:10 PM
    Locked wrote:
    mwood wrote:

How was the swift?

The Swift is pretty darn attractive. The mechanicals are current/fresh and the car proven to be fast, bodywork/cosmetics decent, spares package HUGE...it is turn key, for sure. Price is high, but there are probably enough in non-Solo critical spares (even thinking in terms of selling the data acquisition system, fire system, spare control arms) to sell off that, given the right offer, a guy might come out of it in pretty good shape ;-)

I also saw the Sirota car for sale...that seems like a VERY interesting prospect, also.

Of course, I now have some folks helping me with parts for the STR Toyota build, so maybe I just wait a year before jumping into CM...NOT!!
    boardkat
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Nov 2011 12:47 PM
    a fellow lotus owner posted this up the other day.
    '75 reynard, socal, $2500 (!)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd...500wt_1182

not sure how prepped/competitive it would be as it currently sits but the price is sure low!
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Nov 2011 06:28 PM
    This is the same car Sho posted in a new thread.

I followed Ed's progress with this car and contributed info when I could. He really enjoyed the car but in a PM indicated that he had too many other activities, etc. Call him for details. He posted links to a couple of videos as I recall so he may be able to provide "car in action" show and tell.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=48812
    Don Elzinga

--
    03 Nov 2011 10:44 PM
    boardkat wrote:

not sure how prepped/competitive it would be as it currently sits but the price is sure low!

It's got a dummy OHC motor (doesn't say if it's a FC legal 2.0 L, or even if it runs), no gearbox, no rear brakes. Not clear how much of what's there is real '75 Reynard parts, and how much is dummy mockup make it look like a racecar stuff. I'd want to take a very close look in person before bidding on it. From the pictures, even the wheels don't look FF legal. Oil tank, radiators, wiring, ???

Don

boardkat
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Nov 2011 12:55 AM
    Don Elzinga wrote:
    boardkat wrote:

It's got a dummy OHC motor (doesn't say if it's a FC legal 2.0 L, or even if it runs), no gearbox, no rear brakes. Not clear how much of what's there is real '75 Reynard parts, and how much is dummy mockup make it look like a racecar stuff. I'd want to take a very close look in person before bidding on it. From the pictures, even the wheels don't look FF legal. Oil tank, radiators, wiring, ???

Don

if it's too good to be true.....
    not gonna disagree with ya there! just thought it was an interesting find. glad we have an open forum to discuss this kinda stuff, that's for sure!!

mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Nov 2011 11:42 AM
    DickR wrote:
    This is the same car Sho posted in a new thread.

I followed Ed's progress with this car and contributed info when I could. He really enjoyed the car but in a PM indicated that he had too many other activities, etc. Call him for details. He posted links to a couple of videos as I recall so he may be able to provide "car in action" show and tell.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...hp?t=48812

Ed's car is no longer for sale ;-)

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Nov 2011 12:17 PM
    Congrats! How are you getting it from FL to CA? (You are in California, right?)
    mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Nov 2011 01:43 PM
    DickR wrote:
    Congrats! How are you getting it from FL to CA? (You are in California, right?)

Well, the deal isn't complete, but I sent him the deposit check yesterday.

I'm talking to BATS Motorsports about having them pick it up on an east coast swing they're starting in the next few days. This time of year, and with a car that just went through a frame up, I'm going to spring for enclosed transport!

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Nov 2011 06:03 PM

Congrats, Mike. Maybe we can get the kids together for a play date. Any big empty parking lots in your area? : >)

Mark

Robert Puertas
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Nov 2011 11:24 PM
    Another CMod car moving to California! Something else to be thankful for today...
    mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Nov 2011 11:39 PM

We'll have to set a couple of weekends to get all the California cars to meet up for SoCal/NoCal CM action...I'm thinking AAS weekends (two day events) on the nice concrete at Marina and CalClub at El Toro...take turns with the 5 hour haul :-)

But, first I have to get the car out here and do all the set up stuff still required. It needs to have the sway bars installed, to start. Are ots drop links available for the VD or should I make my own? I can do it easily enough, but if there's something that is faster/simpler/cheaper, I'm all for it!

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Nov 2011 08:34 AM
    Mike,

Try Simon at http://www.universalracing.co.uk/

sales@universalracing.co.uk

Dick
    mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    25 Nov 2011 12:02 PM
    Thanks, I'll look them up.
    GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Nov 2011 10:34 AM
    Congrads on the purchase and welcome to the class!
    Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Nov 2011 11:27 AM

Davey Drouin says their 83 Van Diemen is on its way to San Diego. I don't know if it will stay in autox. They picked up an 88 Reynard F2000 to run in BM.

Mark

The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Nov 2011 10:24 AM
    Markwrx wrote:

Davey Drouin says their 83 Van Diemen is on its way to San Diego. I don't know if it will stay in autox. They picked up an 88 Reynard F2000 to run in BM.

Mark

I wanted to buy that one, but my wife apparently wanted me NOT to buy it a whole lot more.

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2011 10:52 AM

Yes, Jason, wives have their good and bad points.

Mark

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    05 Dec 2011 08:57 AM
    A new potential CM car for sale on the West Coast

http://apexspeed.com/forums/showthr...hp?t=49316
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Dec 2011 02:48 PM
    Via ApexSpeed : 1984 Lola T644, FL, 2 spare Kent engines, $14,500
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    07 Dec 2011 09:49 AM
    DickR wrote:
    A new potential CM car for sale on the West Coast

http://apexspeed.com/forums/showthr...hp?t=49316

This one is now on Ebay . . . seller moving overseas and house is sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649&item=170742234043&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Dec 2011 03:02 PM
    Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Jan 2012 07:16 PM

Here is an 85 Swift http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...p?t=49912. Looks like a good one at a"reasonable" price.

Mark

chrisw

--
    30 Jan 2012 04:41 PM
    mwood wrote:

We'll have to set a couple of weekends to get all the California cars to meet up for SoCal/NoCal CM action...I'm thinking AAS weekends (two day events) on the nice concrete at Marina and CalClub at El Toro...take turns with the 5 hour haul :-)

But, first I have to get the car out here and do all the set up stuff still required. It needs to have the sway bars installed, to start. Are ots drop links available for the VD or should I make my own? I can do it easily enough, but if there's something that is faster/simpler/cheaper, I'm all for it!

Mike... AAS has that buttonwillow event this year. That would be a great place to have that meetup..

Markwrx
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Feb 2012 10:49 PM

Check this out. R&T tests a formula ford and it come up "better" than anything else they have tested by a lot. http://www.apexspeed.com/community/...adtest.pdf I sure am glad I have a FF to play with.

Mark

whitecivic
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Oct 2015 02:52 PM
    Hmmm.. no one has written in this tread in a long time

So I live in Calif bay area and we now have a great list of CM cars and maybe a car or 2 coming to the bay area in a year or 2, if anyone on the west coast would like to say what FF/CM there driving next year (2016) and what event they maybe attending in the 2016 season would be great for all of us to come up an event like Crows and have a great pic of all the cars.

We have:

1. 93 euro swift, Chris Warner
    2. 90 Van diemen, Mark Mervich
    3. 88 Van diemen, Chris Kannan
    4. 85 Renard, Charlie Davis
    5. 84 Van diemen, Ben Martinez

And only talking for myself Ben Martinez I'm going to, San Diego National tour, Crows National tour, Crows pro solo, 2016 National's hope to get a 10 "Car" 15 driver field on the west coast.

Ben

---