STU addition - Solstice GXP?
 7 Replies
Author Messages
Fault Bucket
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
15 May 2016 05:25 PM
    I haven't paid too much attention, but has there been any discussion of perhaps making the Solstice GXP eligible for STU? Some other AS/ASP brethren have been added lately, and with a tire width limit of 285 I don't see it as an overdog. If I don't hear any negative feedback on the idea I'll post up a letter.

Thanks!

Chris
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 May 2016 07:35 PM
    Are there off-the-shelf parts out there for it to be a competitive STU car or would everything have to be fabricated/be lucky enough to find stuff from when the car was new?
    Fault Bucket
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 May 2016 10:59 PM
    There's still a pretty decent aftermarket for the related models (Solstice GXP/Sky RL). Not huge, but there. Intakes, charge pipes, intercoolers, ECU tunes, cats, exhaust, suspension parts. Wheels are harder to find due to 5x110 bolt pattern, but there are sources for custom (I personally have 18x11 Forgestars drilled to spec for my ASP prep).
    cretinx

--
    01 Aug 2016 03:03 PM
    I don't see it being a threat - I just noticed the E92 M3 is in STU - now there's a threat to the class.
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Aug 2016 08:18 PM

Posted By Mister Fister on 01 Aug 2016 03:03 PM
    I don't see it being a threat - I just noticed the E92 M3 is in STU - now there's a threat to the class.

Not even close. The E92 M3 starts out 250-300# heavier, higher COG, but is narrower. There is no way it touches the 350Z/Vette and certainly no where near the boost buggies.
    cretinx

--
    02 Aug 2016 04:40 PM

Posted By Z3papa on 01 Aug 2016 08:18 PM

Posted By Mister Fister on 01 Aug 2016 03:03 PM

Not even close. The E92 M3 starts out 250-300# heavier, higher COG, but is narrower. There is no way it touches the 350Z/Vette and certainly no where near the boost buggies.

Has anyone bothered to build an E46 M3?

Narrower, lighter, equal acceleration up to 50ish mph at the expense of an inferior suspension (which is fixable in STU).
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Aug 2016 05:36 PM
    I know of some locally competitive STU E46 M3's, but don't know of anyone running one nationally.

The issue with an E46 M3 in STU is that there's not a whole lot that you can improve to make it faster than an FS-legal E46 M3. The factory springs are pretty good. The sway bars are also pretty good. You can't go much wider on the wheels or tires before running up into the STU limits, so not much to be gained there either. You can do an intake and a tune, but the car isn't exactly hurting for power. The biggest thing that you can do in STU that will help an M3 is camber plates, and I don't see it as worth it to jump that far in class just to run camber plates.
    Davidss
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Dec 2016 02:55 PM
    I think the Solstice would be an overdog in STU. It is smaller, lighter and has a better wheelbase than any of the top competitors in STU. And they can make monster power with simple bolt ons, tuning, and boost creep.

---