Last Post 20 Jun 2016 04:39 PM by  H2OSB
Car Classification
 2 Replies
Author Messages
H2OSB

--
18 Jun 2016 10:57 AM
    Greetings--

I apologize for this type of topic. I'm sure all of you guys who've been around forever get tired of these questions, however, I looked and looked and can't find this information online.

To start with, it's an academic question because I don't expect my car to be competitive and I'm incredibly out of practice at autocross. Even when I did autocross with semi regularity, it was in a FWD car (1986 VW GTI), and I needed far more behind the wheel time even then before I would have been competitive. I'm a Super Beetle guy first and autocross second, so this would be to just have additional fun with my Super Beetle, and, perhaps, introduce my 16 year old son to autocrossing (which I believe teaches an incredible amount of car control).

That all said, I STILL want to comply the rules to classify my car.

What I have is a 1974 VW Super Beetle into which I'm installing a 2 liter VW Bus engine (T4). I believe this would, legally, place me in STS (all other mods appear to be within the STS rules). I believe this based upon the fact the Porsche 914 is in this class, and my T4 is almost literally the same engine as a 914. I suppose the people who define the car's classes wouldn't anticipate something like a Beetle with more SCCA legal power. I'm in the SanFrancisco region, so I could run in the OSP class if I fit nowhere else.

Thanks in advance
    H2OSB
    sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Jun 2016 03:38 PM
    You may be eligible for HCS if that engine was available in any Beetle of any generation. If not HCS, the engine swap would bump you out of STS and up to SM.

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file..._Rules.pdf
    H2OSB

--
    20 Jun 2016 04:39 PM
    Thanks for the response, however, this MIGHT have been a case where I deserved someone telling me to use the search function. Shortly after joining the forum, I got to reading in the section about classification and found a thread where a guy with an older BMW wanted to know about swapping a later engine into his car. Basically, the explanations on that thread told me what I needed to know...The swap I am doing with place me soundly in SM. I'm ok with that.

Even were I to class myself in FSP, at some event, where aircooled VWs, et al, are usually classed, in a field of 8 I would probably place 7th, just ahead of the noob who kept running off course and DNFing.

---