Dual Clutch transmissions (VW, etc) - reflash legality
 3 Replies
Author Messages
gtitronic
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
24 Oct 2016 11:38 AM

I'm considering a (dual clutch automated manual) DSG transmission equipped car like the VW GTI. Mitsubishi also has their SST dual-clutch on the 08+ Ralliart and EVO X, and I'm sure there are others out there.

Based on a quick read of the Street Touring rule book, it looks like there is no provision to modify or reflash the factory transmission control unit (TCU) in any way. I'd assume my interpretation is correct, but let me know if you disagree.

The closest things I see are:

B. Original equipment traction control systems may be electrically disabled,
    but not removed or altered in any other way

F. ..Traction control parameters may not be altered..

Specifically what got me interested in doing this is that the VW DSG system apparently does not allow you to ride the rev limiter and hold the gear you want to be in. Aftermarket TCU reflashes take care of that, and do things like increase shift speed, change shift points, offer more launch control customizations, etc. Example: https://www.goapr.com/products/tcu_...0_mqb.html

Anyone have thoughts about this being "in the spirit of ST" and thus worth writing a letter to propose a rule allowance for this?

Also, I assume this is definitely not allowed in Stock, but would be allowed in SP and SM.

thanks!

sjfehr
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Oct 2016 05:27 PM
    Why would you ever want to bounce off the rev limiter if you have a DSG? Even if you're 1/4 second away from the braking zone, that's 1/4 second you could still be accelerating.

And no, it's for sure not legal in street.
    gtitronic
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Oct 2016 12:18 PM
    To have absolute control over which gear you are in, like a manual transmission.
    Even if dual clutch shifts are very quick, it'd still be shifting when you don't want it to, possibly upsetting the car and your concentration.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Oct 2016 10:53 PM

sjfehr, he's talking about Street Touring, not Street.

In my opinion, this falls under the spirit of 14.10.F (engine management system parameters)

However, since transmission control and automatic shift points aren't explicitly mentioned in this section, you have to assume that it's not legal.

However, because it is in my opinion that it is within the spirit of the rule, I suggest writing a letter with proposed verbiage to make this legal. Something like the following:

Reprogrammed or piggyback PCM/ECU may alter automatic or semiautomatic transmission shift points, rev limits, or other automatic transmission operating parameters. This allowance does not allow for the removal, physical alteration, or replacement of the Transmission Control Module with a non-OE unit.

---