Last Post 12 Aug 2016 09:45 PM by  dkmura
350z build for T3/T2
 5 Replies
Author Messages
adoss1

--
03 Jun 2016 12:42 PM
    Hi All

My first post here on SCCAforums. My name is Alex, and I'm in the Detroit area. I recently bought a salvage title 350z, and I'm considering taking the leap next spring to wheel to wheel competition, most likely just local Waterford Hills events but maybe some regionals at Gingerman, Mid-Ohio, so on.

Here's the car in question (see attached picture).

It's a 2003 350z touring model with a bit of rear quarter damage (also attached).

The build will take place this winter, in time for competition school at Waterford Hills next spring.

If i understand correctly, the TCS says shocks are pretty much wide open. However, when i look at the specification line for T2 350z, it calls out specific shock part numbers (they are the NASA spec Z shocks). Does this mean if i wanted to prep to T2, I would HAVE to run Spec Z shocks? Or that they are simply an option if i wanted to? Doesn't make much sense to me to even have them in the specification line if shocks are unlimited anyways.

Same story for camber arms. The TCS states that adjustable slotted ball joint wishbones are legal. Then in the specification line for both T2 and T3, it calls out specific camber arm part numbers. Does this mean I HAVE to run those specific part numbers? Or can I run any camber arm that is legal per the TCS?

And springs? The T2 calls out the NASA spec Z springs and that's it. The T3 specifications say that I can run 700 lb springs, and also calls out the Nissan motorsports spring kit (which happen to be 700 lbs). Does that mean T2 cars can only run NASA spec Z springs, but not 700 lb generic springs like in T3?

Another example.... the TCS states that any differential cooler is allowed, but the specification line for T3 calls out a specific Nismo differential cover? What's the point in even mentioning a finned diff cover if you can run any full fledged cooler that you want?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments
    dkmura

--
    04 Jun 2016 06:40 PM
    Welcome Alex! The Touring spec rules and individual model lines ARE confusing. If you run a Spec Z, the rules are specific for that particular parts package. Otherwise, shocks are open and you can run anything from OEM to Motons. Springs can be any brand, as long as they are 700# or less. You're also free to use any kind of diff cooler you want, and the NISMO finned cover is only one option.

BTW- take a close look at the just-released T3 changes for your Z. Your DE-powered LeMans Sunset coupe might be a better fit in T3 and less costly to modify than in T2 at this point.
    dkmura

--
    13 Jun 2016 07:39 PM
    What happened to Alex?
    adoss1

--
    13 Jun 2016 10:01 PM
    Thanks for the reply! And I apologize for my extremely late response. I've been MIA on vacation in the Dominican republic. Beautiful country.

Thanks for clearing up the rules. I like the idea of a bolt on and tuned 350z on 295's in T2. But my wallet likes the 245's and stock headers in T3.

Do you think the Z will continue to be competitive in T3 with the downgrade the 245?
    dkmura

--
    14 Jun 2016 08:23 AM

Posted By ZuperZlow on 13 Jun 2016 10:01 PM
    Do you think the Z will continue to be competitive in T3 with the downgrade the 245?

The DE-powered Zs will be competitive, but the 40 mm chokes added to the HRs are going to severely limit power. The biggest problem with the 245 tires, as I see it, is the durability of the rubber will be decreased. R-compound tires will have fewer heat cycles and grip than what we've come to expect from the 275s we were on. Both DE and HR Zs will have to roll over the scales at 3300# AFTER the race. Nothing you can't adjust to coming into the class, however.
    dkmura

--
    12 Aug 2016 09:45 PM
    Alex disappeared again?

---