Go to next topic
Last Post 05 Mar 2013 05:47 PM by  RBK
GT3 Help
 12 Replies
Author Messages
RBK

--
03 Mar 2013 10:45 PM
    I have raced T-1 for many years. However, virtually all those racing T-1 in Southern California have moved to NASA ST2, and me with them (no one to race in T-2 and not competitive in T-1). I want to continue to race in SCCA. I own a 99 Corvette, now modified for ST2 (approximately 400hp/3225lbs). Can have wing/splitter, and otherwise fairly stock. It seems to me from a reading of the rules the car would be eligible and competitive in GT3. I have read the rules but admit to not being a "technical" persson. What I need to know is not what I might do to enhance the car (I can learn this as I go along), but what do you see stopping me from joining your ranks, i.e. fuel cells, suspension, etc. ? All comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.
    scott Sanda
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Mar 2013 06:47 AM
    Gt2, not GT3. Big big difference.

Essentially, anything 2012 sto is legal, but the rules are pretty crappily written.

Wear the proper restrictor, run at the proper weight, and you should be fine until you get to a serious race where people protest.
    RBK

--
    04 Mar 2013 01:24 PM
    Are you saying GT2 would be better than GT3 for this car? If so, how does it differ from STO? It seemed to be given hp/weight, I face the same uphill battle. Did I misunderstand?
    bhudson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Mar 2013 01:51 PM
    The Corvette is not eligible for GT-3. The STO cars were moved to GT-2 late last year.
    Cheyne
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Mar 2013 02:10 PM
    Cars that were built to the max of 2012 STO could go to GT2 or have restrictors and weight added to them and move to the new T1. Sounds like your car would be better suited for new T1 and not GT2. GT3 was never in the mix. The maxed out STO cars last year were about the same in lap times at the GT2 cars at Road America. Not a lot of cars were built to the max of the STO rules so they were given a home in GT2.

Cheyne
    scott Sanda
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Mar 2013 02:54 PM
    Cheyne has it nailed.

GT3 in SCCA is for small bore cars. Anything essentially over 2.2L has an SIR. GT2 is for larger displacement, and is the home for STO.

You might be confusing ALMS/FIA GT3 with scca GT3. ALMS/FIA GT3 is essentially a cross between SCCA GT1 and 2. When i had my cup car, it was a GT3 supercup car, running in SCCA GT2. The "gt3" referred to a pro class.
    RBK

--
    04 Mar 2013 03:38 PM
    I (even, I) get it now. Much appreciated. However, at the end of the day there I will not likely be very competitive against cars eligible for T1/GT 2 , so it looks like NASA ST2 becomes the mainstay. I now have choices; Drive by myself (on West Coast) in T-2, and when feeling masochistic, T1, or spring for a more competitive car in these classes. I sincerely appreciate help however.
    scott Sanda
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Mar 2013 03:52 PM
    You aren't going to be non comp in GT2, as there seem to be a lot of you vette guys running there. Will you be sub 17 at road america? probably not, but mid pack? certainly.
    David Pintaric
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Mar 2013 04:34 PM

Bob,

If you are interested in GT2, consider the Trans Am 2 Camaros and Mustangs that Howe builds. Those cars fit in GT2 and are real bargain. I think a new car is around $85,000 with all the goodies, and the performance is great. At Sebring the lap times were 2:11-2:12 in qualifying and 2:13-2:14 in the race. The need thing is the consumables (tires, brakes, shocks, etc) are all price limited, so the car is relatively inexpensive (did I really just use that word to describe a race car?) to run. Case in point: Hoosier tires that are speced for the TA series: under $700 for a set.

RBK

--
    04 Mar 2013 06:57 PM
    David, I will look into it. The person who works on my car here has mentioned it as well. Thanks, Bob
    Cheyne
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Mar 2013 07:31 PM
    Here is a link Bob.

http://www.howeracing.com/Adobe/HoweTA20811.pdf

Looks like a great deal. You could run NASA, SCCA and Trans-Am with the car.

Cheyne
    David Pintaric
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    04 Mar 2013 09:21 PM
    bkahn wrote:
    David, I will look into it. The person who works on my car here has mentioned it as well. Thanks, Bob

Bob, if you're interested, I can help with things if you want to run the Trans Am series.

RBK

--
    05 Mar 2013 05:47 PM
    David , thanks, if decide to go this way, will make contact, Bob

---