Photos?

post them

christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    22 May 2016 10:54 PM
    So, I know there were grumblings about the course, and perhaps I'm biased because of my car, but I honestly had a lot of fun today.

Who knew a big loop right after the start could be so much fun, but it sure was. I really didn't notice bumps that much either, which was nice. Only real place that worried me about bumps (ice mode) was in the far left corner before the gas pumps, but I hit the brakes early there to try to avoid any potential issues.

The car felt great, the problem I have is I don't know if the car felt great because i put the rear sway bar back on, or because I drove better.

sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 May 2016 11:09 PM
    I think the circle being fun is related to RWD...FWD? Fun not found. Like you said, the key to those bumps in the back is brake early and drive through them rather than try to slow. YMMV 

Here is my 5th run. SoloStorm claims I gave away .409...oh well. The expression at the end sums up the day.

TD53
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 May 2016 08:49 AM
    Here's my fast run. Almost coned it away in the first Chicago box.

Thomas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 May 2016 09:14 AM
    Nice driving Tom. Congratulations on the PAX win.

Fun course. I agree with Chris that the big carousel was a nice change up on our usual elements. The course was fast in several areas but still required you to give up speed in a couple areas to get the subsequent element right. I never felt like I got the left hander before the first Chicago Box right. I was braking way too late.

Chris, thanks for letting me co-drive the Z with you, the car felt really good. It was interesting to see the data between runs. If you get a chance to post any of the video, I'd love to see it.

KyleMert
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 May 2016 10:07 AM
    Here's my fast run of the day. Went a little hot on the three tight lefts and overshot my exit points
    96SM2
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 May 2016 11:30 AM
    Not a bad finish for the SSR car running on SSP PAX, oh and ran the number in 3 runs. : ) I had a flyer going on the 5th run but ran into a hard brake pedal trying to slow down for the left leading along the staging lanes. I hope the people I had as passengers enjoyed their time in the car.
    The course was a nice change and there were a couple of spots that were very important to set up to run a good time. A tight line through the big 360 sweeper was worth a huge amount of time, easily 1+ sec compared to a wide line. Exiting the cross-over in to the two cone slalom it was important to be right of center exiting the cross-over the make the slalom a bit straighter and then to backside the second slalom cone to set up the entry to the left headed towards the Chicago box. The left after the Chicago box was important to get slowed down to make the run up to the left towards the fuel dump as straight as possible. As others have mentioned, it was important to get you braking done before the bumps so you could roll through the left leading along the fuel tanks. What followed was probably the hardest part to get correct and probably was worth the most time to do correctly. The gate after the bumpy left you needed to backside the left hand cone to get some angle on the 90 right pointer cone so you could stay center or right of center in the lane setting up the 90 left to the finish. If you pushed too hard in those 90's and were out of position, you lost a ton of acceleration zone.
    jpoeling1

--
    23 May 2016 01:31 PM
    Track was fun. Other than the brutally tight start corner. The firechicken didn't like that. Sweeper was a blast especially the last run when tires were completely done.

Also I'm still missing my orange with silver outline #1 off the cp car. It fell in heat 2 corner 2. I heard them on the radio say they had it and after the race was all over it was mysteriously gone. So if anyone knows where it is or who was at corner 2 heat 2 that I can ask.
    Thomas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 May 2016 02:28 PM

Posted By jpoeling on 23 May 2016 01:31 PM
    Track was fun. Other than the brutally tight start corner. The firechicken didn't like that. Sweeper was a blast especially the last run when tires were completely done.

Also I'm still missing my orange with silver outline #1 off the cp car. It fell in heat 2 corner 2. I heard them on the radio say they had it and after the race was all over it was mysteriously gone. So if anyone knows where it is or who was at corner 2 heat 2 that I can ask.

James, we found an orange "1" when we were picking up cones from the course at the end of the day around where the keyhole was. It's in the trailer. You were obviously going way too fast : )
    WaterLogged

--
    23 May 2016 04:22 PM
    Posted By jpoeling on 23 May 2016 01:31 PM

I mistakenly called it in as a "1" at corner 2 when in fact the number that fell was a "7". Glad Tom found it elsewhere after the race for you.

Clint_G

--
    24 May 2016 09:48 AM
    The lack of live timing updates in 2nd heat was frustrating for a lot of people. I didn't find out until after the heat (once live timing was updated) that I coned every run. Had no idea.
    gilligan156
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 May 2016 03:46 PM

I haven't edited my video yet, I've been really demotivated due to disappointment with my performance Sunday. Oh well.

That said, I did enjoy the course. The carousel was fun and I never did carry the right amount of speed through it, I had a lot more grip than I was expecting... except that I blew my last (and would have been best) run by trying to enter it *too* fast and drifting the beginning of it. I liked the angled boxes, I liked that there was no arbitrary slalom, I liked the chicane (though didn't like that the pavement was rough going through it, but that will happen), I liked that the track rewarded properly carrying loaded suspension through segments. Shame I couldn't convert my fondness for the course into a meaningful performance.

I'll post my video later when I feel like editing it, but for now here's a picture I took of Sean releasing Chris Hammond. I figured that Chris has taken some stellar pictures of me, so I wanted to try to repay the favor...

Posted By sgreer78 on 22 May 2016 11:09 PM

I think the circle being fun is related to RWD...FWD? Fun not found.

Is FWD ever fun? ;) 

christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 May 2016 03:49 PM
    Man I've gotta switch to my fullface helmet,

1) it is white and doesn't get near as hot sitting in grid.

2) That open face one ^ looks like I need a big ole Dale Earnhart mustache
    sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 May 2016 05:43 PM
    Posted By zetto156 on 24 May 2016 03:46 PM

Is FWD ever fun? ;) 

In a properly setup one, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    kyoo
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 May 2016 08:18 PM

i think we were down on people that heat in the timing trailer.

from what i understand, according to ccscc it should auto upload so timing shouldn't have to think about it. best solution to me is doing the TV like ccscc... hopefully we can explore that in upcoming events

gilligan156
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 May 2016 01:47 AM

Here's my video.

I can see where I'm losing some time for sure, I definitely could and should have done better. Oh well.
    sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 May 2016 11:45 AM
    distance distance distance...
    Nybbler

--
    25 May 2016 11:50 AM
    I was a little concerned at first about having the course cross over itself, but after seeing it run was okay with it. Turned out to be pretty fun trying to take the circle at speed and keep the car going where I wanted it. I did enjoy the course, but wish I was faster. I meant to take the Evolution school, but mistakenly set up a vacation on the same weekend. Next year, maybe. I had 4 clean runs, with a final of 57 seconds, which I was pleased with (I'm pleased when I can get it under 60 seconds), but I know the car is capable of better times. I'm just not sure where I'm losing time on course, though I suspect I could improve everywhere.
    Thomas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 May 2016 01:08 PM

Posted By Nybbler on 25 May 2016 11:50 AM
    I was a little concerned at first about having the course cross over itself, but after seeing it run was okay with it. Turned out to be pretty fun trying to take the circle at speed and keep the car going where I wanted it. I did enjoy the course, but wish I was faster. I meant to take the Evolution school, but mistakenly set up a vacation on the same weekend. Next year, maybe. I had 4 clean runs, with a final of 57 seconds, which I was pleased with (I'm pleased when I can get it under 60 seconds), but I know the car is capable of better times. I'm just not sure where I'm losing time on course, though I suspect I could improve everywhere.

Sorry you missed the Evo school. Hopefully we'll be back next year again. Sorry, I'm not sure who you are based on your screen name, but if you let me know, I'd be happy to jump in the car with you at our events and help find some things to make you faster.
    MINIz guy

--
    25 May 2016 01:13 PM
    I liked the course, and the circle wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Like what others have said, I struggled with the far left hander going towards the gas pumps; it was so bumpy that I never felt comfortable going through that turn. I only have 1 run on video as my camera kept overheating and shutting off.

Does anybody have any pictures from the event? I've been seeing a lot of photographers snapping away, but don't know where they're posting them.
    gilligan156
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 May 2016 01:34 PM
    Posted By sgreer78 on 25 May 2016 11:45 AM

You think that's the main thing? I can see some places where I could have cut distance. I also think I was too cautious through some spots, like right off the line turning left, through the carousel, through the chicane. I never did get the second chicago box right and I think I could have carried more speed through the first one. The gas pumps left turn was also tricky and every single time i was so focused on getting it right that I stopped thinking about the upcoming corners, and you can see that on each of my videos, it's like the left turn segment ends and then you can almost see me say "Oh shit" going into the next section because I'm not set up correctly. That messed me up and I don't know what my problem was.

Posted By Andrew Chow on 25 May 2016 01:13 PM
    I liked the course, and the circle wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Like what others have said, I struggled with the far left hander going towards the gas pumps; it was so bumpy that I never felt comfortable going through that turn. I only have 1 run on video as my camera kept overheating and shutting off.

Does anybody have any pictures from the event? I've been seeing a lot of photographers snapping away, but don't know where they're posting them.
    Are you using a gopro? We have a Hero 3+ and this happens to us too. It'll seem a bit unresponsive, record a few seconds, and then just stop recording. Eric's 4th run didn't get recorded because it turned itself off. It turned itself off a couple times for me but luckily I caught it before I started each time and got all my runs.

christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    25 May 2016 01:59 PM
    My Hero4Black overheated this Sunday too. I'm going to try the frame on it in Lincoln to see if that cuts down on the heat. The next step will be to turn off wifi and go back to manual starting which seems to help keep the heat down.
    sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 May 2016 02:18 PM
    Posted By zetto156 on 25 May 2016 01:34 PM
    Posted By sgreer78 on 25 May 2016 11:45 AM

You think that's the main thing? I can see some places where I could have cut distance. I also think I was too cautious through some spots, like right off the line turning left, through the carousel, through the chicane. I never did get the second chicago box right and I think I could have carried more speed through the first one. The gas pumps left turn was also tricky and every single time i was so focused on getting it right that I stopped thinking about the upcoming corners, and you can see that on each of my videos, it's like the left turn segment ends and then you can almost see me say "Oh shit" going into the next section because I'm not set up correctly. That messed me up and I don't know what my problem was.

It was the most obvious from the get go, and it carried on through the entire run and affects car placement. With so little to do on this course, placement was everything IMO.

MINIz guy

--
    25 May 2016 02:28 PM
    Posted By zetto156 on 25 May 2016 01:34 PM 

Are you using a gopro? We have a Hero 3+ and this happens to us too. It'll seem a bit unresponsive, record a few seconds, and then just stop recording. Eric's 4th run didn't get recorded because it turned itself off. It turned itself off a couple times for me but luckily I caught it before I started each time and got all my runs.

Using a Sony Actioncam AS15. Might try and turn off WiFi on mine too to see if that stops the overheating.

Shalafish

--
    25 May 2016 07:37 PM
    Here is my fastest run from Sunday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdSSFSSEOJ4

I have to say that I really enjoyed the course. The big loop was a lot of fun.

Can't wait for the next event.
    Nybbler

--
    26 May 2016 04:03 PM
    Posted By Tom on 25 May 2016 01:08 PM 
    Sorry you missed the Evo school. Hopefully we'll be back next year again. Sorry, I'm not sure who you are based on your screen name, but if you let me know, I'd be happy to jump in the car with you at our events and help find some things to make you faster.

I'm Brian Schuetz in the black 2007 Corvette (77 AS).  I may take you up on that offer.  I plan to be at event 5, so I may try to grab you for my runs then.  I have taken Evo School in the past, but I've been out of autocrossing for a few years, so I've likely forgotten a few things.

Thomas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 May 2016 11:55 AM

Posted By Nybbler on 26 May 2016 04:03 PM

Posted By Tom on 25 May 2016 01:08 PM 

I'm Brian Schuetz in the black 2007 Corvette (77 AS).  I may take you up on that offer.  I plan to be at event 5, so I may try to grab you for my runs then.  I have taken Evo School in the past, but I've been out of autocrossing for a few years, so I've likely forgotten a few things.

No problem Brian, I'd be happy to hop in with you. I'll be at event 5. See you then. Maybe you could remind me at the Novice course walk (at the starting line at 9:00), if not, find me during your heat.
    rkammerer

--
    27 May 2016 07:28 PM

Audit is done, points have been tabulated, results are posted.  Enjoy!

Event 4 Results

I figured out why the Miata was the tail-happy spin cycle ride.  I lost an end link bolt for the front swaybar, so was effectively running zero front bar.  Fun times.  Nice driving Chad, he dealt with the car better than I did by a second.

Big thanks to Cortni and Alex, the two of them ran Timing & Scoring and did Course Control, Master Log, and Computer Log - 3 roles 2 people.  Thanks!

Another thanks to Jim Lynch, our very own Grid Chief.  There was some confusion on who was working when, so he jumped in and ran grid himself first and second heat, pulling a double shift.  I know at least 1st heat was with no assistance.  Thanks, Jim!  We wouldn't have had an event without you in Grid.

And along the "some events we get a little short-handed" line, if any of you would be willing to help out in other roles than chasing cones, talk to one of the Chiefs at the next event!

christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 May 2016 10:57 PM
    Looks like YTD index results didn't get updated online Rob
    TD53
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Jun 2016 10:27 AM
    Yeah the index points still show for three events.
    christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Jun 2016 10:31 AM
    Looks like it is updated through event #4 now
    rkammerer

--
    06 Jun 2016 10:36 AM

I updated the YTD results June 1st, thanks for letting me know!

If you are still seeing the "only through Event #3" version, your browser may be caching the older PDF.  On most browsers, press F5 to refresh and you should pull the newest results.

---