Last Post 23 Jul 2016 04:09 PM by  WaterLogged
Event #6
 19 Replies
Author Messages
Autolex

--
18 Jul 2016 09:05 AM

Great job yesterday Sean!

I found yesterdays course very challenging, quite a bit different from "the usual" GMP course in my mind.

Uploading videos this afternoon; nothing i did yesterday was pretty!

John P
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Jul 2016 11:18 AM
    I notice when I wash my hands steam is still coming off of them..... what a HOT day.

I liked the use of the lot, it seems we got to use everything available, and no brutal bump areas (IMO). That said I don't have much else to say as I was not happy at all with my car setup. I've heard that a tire change can cause the need for setup changes, but in the past (on 245s) all that has meant was a minor sway bar adjustment and in most cases just running different pressures and a small change to shock settings. On these RE71Rs (and 255s), I had so much push. It was awful - I don't think I've ever said that about my car, but I could hardly get ANY steering angle in. Wow, what a difference... in a horrible way. Even running the RS3s a few weeks ago the car's balance was great just horrible overall grip as those tires had 150+ Auto-X runs and a HPDE. RE71Rs and 255s = PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH time for changes..... something I love to be doing this time of year. :(

sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Jul 2016 12:24 PM
    Those were also new new new. They take a little bit to come alive. I've found the re71's on my car like more pressure than the Toyos dos. And more than the BFG's do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Clint_G

--
    18 Jul 2016 12:27 PM
    At least it wasn't a transfer case :D

https://youtu.be/3ebFhxwr47I    [No idea how to embed this, so copy and paste for video!]

Nybbler

--
    18 Jul 2016 02:07 PM
    I finally showed some improvement this event. Still not very fast, but definitely improved. I got a few bits of advice at Event 5 from someone and was able to put that to practice this event. Made the car feel more controlled. It was a fun course.
    WaterLogged

--
    18 Jul 2016 02:37 PM
    It was a fun course that rewarded smooth inputs, of which I had none. Thanks Tom for riding with me on my faster run and the subsequent tips for improvement. It's just too bad I couldn't apply them to my last couple of runs. I swear the added weight balanced out the car! BTW, this is two events in a row where the top of CS is separated by less than 0.1 second. In yesterday's case the top 3 were within 0.043. I've prepared my excuses for not making a ton of ground on the field, what's yours? :D
    drhodes
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Jul 2016 02:49 PM
    Congratulations to Sean and the top five. You guys were running strong.
    96SM2
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    18 Jul 2016 04:18 PM

Posted By John P on 18 Jul 2016 11:18 AM
    I notice when I wash my hands steam is still coming off of them..... what a HOT day.

I liked the use of the lot, it seems we got to use everything available, and no brutal bump areas (IMO). That said I don't have much else to say as I was not happy at all with my car setup. I've heard that a tire change can cause the need for setup changes, but in the past (on 245s) all that has meant was a minor sway bar adjustment and in most cases just running different pressures and a small change to shock settings. On these RE71Rs (and 255s), I had so much push. It was awful - I don't think I've ever said that about my car, but I could hardly get ANY steering angle in. Wow, what a difference... in a horrible way. Even running the RS3s a few weeks ago the car's balance was great just horrible overall grip as those tires had 150+ Auto-X runs and a HPDE. RE71Rs and 255s = PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH time for changes..... something I love to be doing this time of year. :(

Where was the push, entry/mid/exit or just YES? 😳
    I agree with Sean it takes a good heat cycle to bring the Bridgestone in and maybe a couple. They should not take a lot of steering when they are right, much more precise than the RS-3 or BFG imo
    The pressures I run on the Stones on the Corvette are similar to what I run on the Hoosiers, low 30's, though that is enough rim width for the tire. If you are running the 255 on a 9" wheel I would think mid 30's would work.
    And thanks to Sean for the seat time yesterday in the STS car, been a LONG time since I was in a proper setup fwd car. It was a lot looser than we have the SSP car set up, shocked I know, and it would take me a couple more runs to learn what it wants.
    John P
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Jul 2016 04:41 PM
    Posted By Andy Hohl on 18 Jul 2016 04:18 PM

Where was the push, entry/mid/exit or just YES? 😳
    I agree with Sean it takes a good heat cycle to bring the Bridgestone in and maybe a couple. They should not take a lot of steering when they are right, much more precise than the RS-3 or BFG imo
    The pressures I run on the Stones on the Corvette are similar to what I run on the Hoosiers, low 30's, though that is enough rim width for the tire. If you are running the 255 on a 9" wheel I would think mid 30's would work.
    And thanks to Sean for the seat time yesterday in the STS car, been a LONG time since I was in a proper setup fwd car. It was a lot looser than we have the SSP car set up, shocked I know, and it would take me a couple more runs to learn what it wants.

The push was 'just Yes'.   I settled on 33F/34R pressures  - but will try a bit higher as well.  The balance was just so far off what I'm used to.  Also, I don't feel I was over-driving the tires inducing push - I just felt severely held back by the push.  Sway bars are easy to change, I'm putting the stock front bar back on and seeing if I can go a hair lower up front as well.

BTW - did you or Sean notice pretty substantial wear of the center rib on RE71Rs?  After 6 runs, I'm shocked by the wear on both front tires of the center rib the outside of the rib only.  Everything else looks good, no rollover really at all.

sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Jul 2016 04:50 PM
    I've noticed it wearing there, but I wouldn't say substantial. My guess would be driver abuse. :D
    96SM2
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    18 Jul 2016 05:41 PM
    On the C5Z there was some small amount of beveling on the center rib. I could see if you were fighting push on the nose heavy STi it might be more prevalent.
    The front of the C5Z is running 265's on a 9.5" wheel and run 31-32 psi.
    Shalafish

--
    18 Jul 2016 06:09 PM
    I enjoyed the course quite a bit. I felt like it flowed well.

I have the RE-71s on my '15 WRX and the closest edge of the center ribbing to the rim is on my set is beveled. I have approx. 30 runs on them, rotated after each event.
    Thomas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Jul 2016 08:12 PM
    John, I also noticed that the Bridgestones took an event or two to really feel like they "kicked in". The first time I ran them I was frankly really disappointed in the grip, but after having a couple of heat cycles on them, they feel really good. Based on the times I did in my own car (unprepped with the exception of the tires) in fun runs with a passenger aboard on each run, I would have PAXed fourth with the CS PAX. I would suggest you consider not making any major changes with the car until you do another event just to see what happens.

Congrats Sean, nice driving yesterday.

I liked the course, it was more technical than some of our recent ones.

Thanks Jacob for allowing me to co-drive the STX FR-S. It was a lot of fun. It's been a while since I've been able to drive a car with lots of stickers 😉
    WaterLogged

--
    18 Jul 2016 08:27 PM
    Posted By Tom on 18 Jul 2016 08:12 PM
    Based on the times I did in my own car (unprepped with the exception of the tires) in fun runs with a passenger aboard on each run, I would have PAXed fourth with the CS PAX.

Actually my comment was meant to give the folks regularly running CS a hard time while also being the newb with excuses.  You've been consistently quick in pretty much anything you drive. I've been out of the game for a while and am looking to re-learn from the fast guys such as yourself. Now, if anyone needs any swimming advice I'd be happy to offer what I know in trade. :)

Thomas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Jul 2016 08:54 PM
    Bill, didn't mean to make it sound like I was bragging : (. My point was more to John about how the tires work better after a couple of events. Comparing my times in a different heat is apples to oranges. I also had quite a few looks at the course by that time, so my times were nothing special.

As far as your driving, I don't think I told you anything you didn't already know. I think you're driving great. You've come back from quite a few years away and have been very competitive right off the bat : ).

Didnt mean to offend anyone with my comments.
    94ESP

--
    18 Jul 2016 08:56 PM
    I had an absolute blast yesterday, I loved the flow of the course! The bumps took a toll on me yesterday & now I'm covered in bruises but that's how it goes in KM :D!
    WaterLogged

--
    18 Jul 2016 09:28 PM
    Posted By Tom on 18 Jul 2016 08:54 PM

Didnt mean to offend anyone with my comments.

I'm not sure you could offend anyone if you wanted to, Tom. : )

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has helped me up to this point. There are a lot of fast people in our region who are generous with their time and knowledge and just all-around good folks. I look forward to absorbing everything you know! Now if I can just get more seat time...

rkammerer

--
    19 Jul 2016 11:21 PM

I've updated the Live Timing results on the home page to the Official, Audited version of Class and PAX results.  The pretty PDF versions and updated points standings will be out later this week.  http://www.stlsolo.org

I thought the course was fun.  It was interesting to see how important that first cone in the initial slalom was, and how hard it could bite you if you railed through the sweeper around the PA tower and let yourself push wide.

Bill, you are bringing the fight to CS - it's awesome to see such tight competition.  I'm still bitter Chad out-drove me in my own car.  And if Alex could have cleaned up his runs, he would have been right there too.  The rest of the season will be great!

Big thanks to Chris for letting me have fun runs in his '95 Miata.  That car needed almost no braking, just a tap around the tower another tap at the final sharp right-hander.  Cool to see I might have been in the mix in ES.

rkammerer

--
    22 Jul 2016 11:52 AM

Official results are up, and Year-to-Date Championship points are updated as well.  Enjoy.

http://stlsolo.org/2016results

As always, if you're a Novice or Lady and missing from the Novice or Ladies results, let me know and I'll add you.

WaterLogged

--
    23 Jul 2016 04:09 PM

Thanks for getting the official results up, Rob!

---