Help Wanted - Truck and Offroad Autocross
 6 Replies
Author Messages
flyguy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
24 Jul 2016 11:39 AM

The St Louis Region Solo Advisory Committee (SAC) has agreed to set up and run an autocross event at Gateway Motorsports Park (GMP) on Aug 13 at Gateway for an event sponsored by the Truck and Offroad group. To get this out of the way up front,these trucks are sport trucks like Raptors,Lightnings and/or trucks modified with aftermarket suspensions as opposed to typical autocross cars. Gateway has asked us to support this event in return for a credit toward lot rental for one of our remaining events there,something we've done in the past for groups like Fun Ford and Super Chevy. The course will be inside an area bordered by Jersey barriers,similar to but supposedly larger than the area  used for drift events. The event itself will run from 9-4. Our responsibilities will include set up and teardown of the course and timing equipment. We will provide a starter and whatever on course support we can based on available help - also known as volunteers.

As is always the case,putting on these events relies totally on volunteers to help provide the support we've agreed upon. In this case,we are offering a free event entry to one of our remaining events this year in return for volunteering. In addition,you can assume taking some runs in your own car but at this point I can't really comment on the size or quality of the course so this may or may not turn out to be an attractive option. I anticipate us being there from approx. 7-5 when you consider set up and tear down. Long day I know but with enough volunteers we should be able to split the day up so that the time spent there is minimized as much as possible for individuals.

We obviously support these events as a region for the financial benefits we receive which help solidify our bottom line and enable us to upgrade and maintain our equipment and offset lot rental fees. And,perhaps most important to some,help keep our entry fees at current levels. In the end,all of members/competitors benefit. But we need help in order to continue supporting these events. Let me know if you're interested in helping the region on Aug 13.

Autolex

--
    26 Jul 2016 10:20 PM
    Email Sent.
    Bama2014

--
    27 Jul 2016 09:51 PM
    I know I will be there. We are friends with the folks at the marketing company putting on the event. Will let you know if it's more than just myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    flyguy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Jul 2016 04:10 PM

Thanks,guys. Still could use a few more people to help with this.

Jason,I emailed Michael Morrison of the marketing company to tell him what we plan to provide and see what the group's expectations are but haven't heard back. Just FYI in case you are in contact with them. Thanks again.

WaterLogged

--
    29 Jul 2016 11:35 AM

I'd be available to help out, Mike.

flyguy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 Jul 2016 11:17 AM
    Thanks,Bill! I'm hoping we have enough space for a course the people helping will want to play on without jersey barriers too close for comfort.
    flyguy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Aug 2016 07:43 PM
    According to GMP website this event has been postponed until late 2016 or early 2017 although no one has contacted me. I'll email those who volunteered to help with the cancellation. FWIW,this is a large scale event with corporate sponsorship and marketing and media coverage. If we are approached again to support this we will be taking a different approach with written contracts and significant compensation to the region  being required before we play. And we'll need a lot of people to help. They want and require a lot of support to include accurate timing and scoring since the autocross is a major part of one of the events biggest rewards.

---