Go to next topic
Last Post 03 Dec 2016 11:52 PM by  SpinningWheel
Looking for help with post engine swap issues
 4 Replies
Author Messages
Foonix

--
07 Nov 2016 08:12 PM

I swapped a "20v blacktop" into an 85 Corolla GTS using a MegaSquirt with Honda COPs.  I got it running pretty well after the swap but over time it has developed a misfire problem. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my setup or an actual problem with the engine.  The car has been pretty much rotting in my garage for a few year as I've been unable to figure out the problem.  Anyone know a mechanic or shop in the STL area that will not run away screaming  at the idea of working on my car?  I am open to suggestions.

EPidiot1

--
    18 Nov 2016 10:06 AM
    I may be of assistance. Some questions though. Is it a random misfire across all cylinders or just a single cylinder. Does the MS have the ability to pull any kind of freeze frame data on when the misfire is occurring.
    Foonix

--
    20 Nov 2016 05:16 PM
    It seems to be mostly on cylinder #1.

The MS has a data logging utility, so the different inputs can be monitored, paused, and scrolled around.
    EPidiot1

--
    22 Nov 2016 11:12 AM
    Sorry about not getting back sooner. If it is only cylinder #1, try swapping that ignition coil to a different cylinder. If it starts to miss on that cylinder than you have a bad coil. I would almost put money on it that you have a bad coil. I spent several years working at a Honda service dept and honestly I can't tell you how many coils I had replaced for customers. I currently work for Toyota. I'm also a closet fan of that car and setup. Way back in 2004 I had the opportunity to help a friend build a 20v 4age with megasquirt and ITBs, we we're running a ford coil pack though. Driving that car while he tuned it was unforgettable. So I'm in for help because I would love to see that out there next year.
    SpinningWheel

--
    03 Dec 2016 11:52 PM
    +1 on swapping coils, have you done a compression test on the engine recently? Do a visual inspection of the spark plugs with a magnifying glass when they are out for the comp test.

---