9 Replies
Author Messages
gidtup
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
21 Mar 2017 06:28 AM

Edited - trying not confuse waivers

3/29/17 Guidelines for Minor Waivers are in a post below. 

jlncc1702e

--
    21 Mar 2017 12:08 PM
    On January 20th this year at the National Convention Carla Russo and I attended the session on Risk Management the group was informed, by the insurance underwriters and the National personnel making the presentation, that minor waivers had to be on file with the National Office prior to the event for any minor that was going to be in a hot area (I.E. in grid, riding along, or participating on course.) Based on that information the SAC decided to implement the current policy to be in alignment with the National office.

Following Janice's email yesterday I contacted National to confirm that nothing had changed.

This morning a 9:00 AM I received a call from Denna Rowland at the National office she confirmed that the Minor Waiver does

need to be on file with National office prior to event. Denna also informed me that Doug Gill , the Rally/Solo Competition Manager, is currently working on a "clarifying document" with the SCCA insurance underwriters that will be published within the next two weeks.

Janice is correct that the new Minor Annual Waiver form has a place for the minor to sign and that both parents have to sign or one parent can sign by showing a copy of the court order designating sole custody.

Cortni Townsend our Solo Chairwoman also contacted National to see if we got conflicting information and she did not. So after conferring, we will be following the policy that Cortni put out in the email over the weekend and the Minor Annual Waiver will be required to file with the National office prior to the event unless the SAC receives communication from the National office to the contrary.

There are any number of ways that this can be accomplished including: signing it in front of an SCCA official or a notary and faxing it in several days prior to the event so that the Event Safety Steward can contact the National office and confirm that it is on file.

Denna mentioned that these changes are being driven by the SCCA insurance underwriters in response to a fatal accident involving a minor and the lawsuits that followed.
    gidtup
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Mar 2017 12:29 PM

Apparently the National Solo Safety Committee has not been told of this yet.

IMO This info should not be given out until the National Office posts it for everyone to see .  The minor waivers have been so confusing already this will just add to it. 

jlncc1702e

--
    21 Mar 2017 01:40 PM

Jan:

One thing that I have noticed over the last 4 years is that communications in this organization are not optimal.

gidtup
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Mar 2017 02:46 PM
    IMO nothing should have been said until it was OFFICALLY ANNOUNCED
    This mess will assure that no one does what the insurance company wants and probably anger many a family showing up with their kid already to run their kart.

I was on the call for the SCCA Solo Safety Committee just a few weeks ago and this was not mentioned. No on FB we have SCCA staffers saying 2 different things.

Rules need to always be handled officially and in writing. We have a website and Fastrack this should be posted immediately.

gidtup
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    22 Mar 2017 06:24 AM
    Rick Myers at SCCA has promised a written clarification of this soon.
    gidtup
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Mar 2017 12:53 AM

The StL Solo Chairman and Region Chief of Safety was sent this last night.  Sorry this was so confusing but here are the guidelines for the Mid West Division.  If there are any questions or problems please feel free to contact me. 

Mid-West Division Minor Waiver “Official” Guidelines are:

From the Mid-West Divisional Solo Safety Steward, Janice Rick and reviewed by Doug Gill, SCCA National Office Rally/Solo Competition Manager 3/29/2017

1. All states in Midwest Division use the same wavier – SCCA Minor SCCA Official 1068 09/15.

2. A minor waiver MUST have BOTH parents’ signatures and witnessed by an adult SCCA member present (at event or not).

3. Page two (2) of the minor waiver must be signed by the minor and witnessed.

4. If completed at the event, the original should be retained by the Region and sent to SCCA Member Services. If planning to attend other SCCA events before the annual waiver hard card is received, fill out another form and write “COPY” across it.

5. If the minor is an SCCA member, a new membership card will be issued which denotes that the waiver is on file. If the minor is not a member, a weekend membership should be filled out and sent in with the annual minor waiver

6.It is not required that the waiver be on file at the national office before participation in an SCCA Solo event.

7. A minor waiver is valid at all SCCA Events if it is done correctly for the State where the minor resides.

8. If one parent has sole custody, one signature is allowed.

9. If the waiver cannot be witnessed by an adult SCCA member, then “SCCA Minor Notary 1068 09/15” (both pages) must be notarized.

10. A minor waiver is only necessary if the minor enters a “hot” area. With the exception of Formula Junior drivers, minors under 12 are not allowed in “hot” areas of the site per the Solo Rules and do not require a waiver.

gidtup
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    02 Apr 2017 09:30 AM
    The StL Solo Chairman and Region Chief of Safety was sent this last night. Sorry this was so confusing but here are the guidelines for the Mid West Division. If there are any questions or problems please feel free to contact me.

Mid-West Division Minor Waiver “Official” Guidelines are:

From the Mid-West Divisional Solo Safety Steward, Janice Rick and reviewed by Doug Gill, SCCA National Office Rally/Solo Competition Manager 3/29/2017 

1.All states in Midwest Division use the same wavier – SCCA Minor SCCA Official 1068 09/15. 

2.A minor waiver MUST have BOTH parents’ signatures and witnessed by an adult SCCA member present (at event or not). 

3.Page two (2) of the minor waiver must be signed by the minor and witnessed. 

4. If completed at the event, the original should be retained by the Region and sent to SCCA Member Services. If planning to attend other SCCA events before the annual waiver hard card is received, fill out another form and write “COPY” across it.

5. If the minor is an SCCA member, a new membership card will be issued which denotes that the waiver is on file. If the minor is not a member, a weekend membership should be filled out and sent in with the annual minor waiver 

6.It is not required that the waiver be on file at the national office before participation in an SCCA Solo event.

7. A minor waiver is valid at all SCCA Events if it is done correctly for the State where the minor resides. 

8. If one parent has sole custody, one signature is allowed. 

9. If the waiver cannot be witnessed by an adult SCCA member, then “SCCA Minor Notary 1068 09/15” (both pages) must be notarized. 

10. A minor waiver is only necessary if the minor enters a “hot” area. With the exception of Formula Junior drivers, minors under 12 are not allowed in “hot” areas of the site per the Solo Rules and do not require a waiver.
    Msquared

--
    17 Jun 2017 03:37 PM

Sorry to raise this from the dead.  I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly.  I will be driving in my first event of this year tomorrow.  My wife has already signed the waiver, but she is now out of town and cannot come to the event tomorrow.  If I bring my 14-year-old son, and he and I sign the waiver in front of an official, he still cannot ride with me because no official witnessed my wife signing the form?  Am I getting this correct?

Lynn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 Jun 2017 05:53 PM
    Yes, that is correct.

---