Event 10
 12 Replies
Author Messages
96SM2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Nov 2017 04:18 PM
    Thanks for the hustle today so everyone got dry runs. Hope nobody got any damage from the storm that came through.
    flyguy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    05 Nov 2017 04:35 PM
    I'll second that. Good event and kydos to everyone that helped make it happen in a timely manner. We dodged severe weather here in IL and hope everyone on the MO side did as well.
    mkesl54

--
    05 Nov 2017 05:31 PM
    Awesome event, and shockingly good weather (at least while we were all driving), everyone hustled and worked together to make it all happen. Congrats to all the class winners for this year, and today!
    sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    05 Nov 2017 11:45 PM
    Never rained in St Peters. A few drops on my way home, nothing drastic except the crazy fast temp drop.
    96SM2
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Nov 2017 10:05 AM
    We got major downpour and small hail, no damage, about an hour after I got home. Did get few raindrops also a couple times on the way home. Sister in law lives about 1 mile south of me and unfortunately she had hail damage to her new Escape.
    John P
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    06 Nov 2017 01:41 PM

We had hail in Maryland Heights; I got home just as it was starting.

Not having run at Gateway all year this year, I was again shocked at how bad the pavement is.  Every, single, corner on the outside of the course was bumpy/bouncy and hell on my rear diff with the rear tire coming up as a result - and I still felt the course setup team did a good job with what we had, I could tell the intention was to try to find a smooth line there just isn't much left.

Also, and this is not criticizing but an observation as I was surprised we were done at 12:30.  But it is amazing to me is we can do a 2 heat event with 80 people in about 3 hours, but ~ 110 takes 7 hours.  Not that a long day is an issue, but if we can push like we did today for 2 heats, every event could be a guaranteed 6 runs and out by 2pm or so if we could figure that out.   Then make both groups happy..... those that want to leave early, and those that want more runs.

sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    06 Nov 2017 01:48 PM
    Courses there are a major challenge. It's pretty tough to come up with things that are different as lanes of travel are so restricted. Things get cramped and it's hard to tell when setting up and only walking how cramped they can get. I did my best this year, I hope people were happy with it. If you weren't, you should do it next year because the position is open!

Here's my quickest run. It looks, feels, and sounds so slow compared to the old car.

mkesl54

--
    06 Nov 2017 02:47 PM

Last course was a lot of fun, especially liked the first section and the last corner. Really all of the courses this year were pretty great. the only place I noticed the bumps was actually at the finish when you would go the slow the car down and it would hop like crazy. 

WaterLogged

--
    06 Nov 2017 03:03 PM
    I was praying for rain only to try out the Quattro on the big blue boat (compared to the Miata). Although I was happy with what I was able to wring out of a bone stock car.

The past couple of courses were using the lot creatively and made for a nice change, even if I didn't prove to be that quick on them. It was a good call to go for the two heat layout, but not sure how that would work for regular events with >100 cars. The corner worker shifts in the hot summer sun would be a challenge if we wanted to do any more than 4 runs.
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Nov 2017 04:36 PM

Event 10 was fantastic all around!

Cars off by 9:30. Quick turn over. Awesome course. Done before 1pm.

The weather reports looked bad, but I was anxious to try the drastic suspension change I had made. Perhaps I am biased by a car that was finally doing everything I wanted it to do, but I loved the course. Great job, Sean! The subtle changes from last week made a big difference in the flow (and last week's was pretty good, too, even if I struggled). I was so glad to get 5 runs on a dry course given I was in the White group scheduled 3rd heat. I appreciated the flexibility to try to let everyone get dry runs. And, I finally had a result I was pleased with thanks to a car that felt sorted again.

Thank you to all the workers that put in extra effort to make our season so fun. And, thanks for the warm welcome into your group. It's been a great first season for me in St. Louis. I'm hoping to earn a single digit number next year as it looks like I got stuck with unlucky #13 for 2018.

Sam3327_ep3

--
    08 Nov 2017 12:09 PM

I just wanted to say event 10 was an absolute blast!

It was my first time ever doing solo and I am definitely hooked now. I enjoyed all parts of the event, even doing the course "work" was a great time. I wanted to say thank you. I really hope to get some advice next time. I saw that this event was pretty crazy with combining the heats and trying to get stuff done before the rain, so I knew the "pros" were busy. 

Thank you again!

sgreer78
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Nov 2017 03:21 PM
    Don't be hesitant to ask for someone to ride along or take a ride with someone more experienced. I think it could be easy for someone new to feel overwhelmed and stop coming out.
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Nov 2017 06:51 PM
    Posted By Sam3327_ep3 on 08 Nov 2017 12:09 PM

I just wanted to say event 10 was an absolute blast!

It was my first time ever doing solo and I am definitely hooked now. I enjoyed all parts of the event, even doing the course "work" was a great time. I wanted to say thank you. I really hope to get some advice next time. I saw that this event was pretty crazy with combining the heats and trying to get stuff done before the rain, so I knew the "pros" were busy. 

Thank you again!

What Sean said about asking people for advice, autox is a very friendly group of people.

Also, FYI, t here is one event left this season by a different club (but run very similair to SCCA)    https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...ral-172298

HTH,

DaveW

---