Go to previous topic
Go to next topic
Last Post 05 Oct 2015 10:20 AM by  AMCjavelin74
Do you think it's fair to BRZ drivers that FR-S guys can use TRD parts and they can't?
 11 Replies
Author Messages
Conekilla

--
17 Sep 2015 02:43 AM
    Hope I'm not opening a can of worm with this topic (and this is coming from a non brz/frs owner)  but how do you BRZ guys feel about FR-S guys able to use all the TRD goodies (TRD springs, TRD F and R sways, TRD Shocks etc) and BRZ guys can't? In Cstreet at nat, from 1st-28th, there were 13 FR-S (including the class winning champion). BRZ didn't even start till 29th position!

Do you think SCCA will bump FR-S with TRD goodies to BStreet? Than again, how easy will it be to regulate FR-S in two diff classes (non trd goodies in CS and TRD goodies in BS)..  I wanted to get some real input from FRS/BRZ owners ...
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Sep 2015 02:22 PM
    It more forces BRZ owners to build for STX if they want to be competitive at a national level. I don't think they will move the FRS to two different lines based on port installed options.

Shocks and one bar is open in Street, so a BRZ owner could use the TRD front bar and shocks and stay in CS if desired. The only thing that they can't use is the springs.
    Adam303
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    18 Sep 2015 05:49 PM
    Posted By Conekilla on 17 Sep 2015 02:43 AM
    Hope I'm not opening a can of worm with this topic (and this is coming from a non brz/frs owner)  but how do you BRZ guys feel about FR-S guys able to use all the TRD goodies (TRD springs, TRD F and R sways, TRD Shocks etc) and BRZ guys can't? In Cstreet at nat, from 1st-28th, there were 13 FR-S (including the class winning champion). BRZ didn't even start till 29th position!

Do you think SCCA will bump FR-S with TRD goodies to BStreet? Than again, how easy will it be to regulate FR-S in two diff classes (non trd goodies in CS and TRD goodies in BS)..  I wanted to get some real input from FRS/BRZ owners ...

This is nothing new. Certain cars in Street can run port installed items. In autocross there are always the best cars for the class, and then there are the rest. If someone bought a BRZ thinking it would be a national front runner in CS, they simply bet on the wrong horse and missed the mark. TRD has a long history of offering port installed upgrades to various Scion/Toyota models so this shouldn't come as a shocker to anyone that's been in the game awhile and/or did their research. 

Priebe17

--
    18 Sep 2015 10:49 PM

Would not decide it on finishing positions.  Look more at times between B, C, and E street to gain more data points with many options in how to proceed.  Personally, I did the same for the new miata too.  Fair to say Andy was progressing his comfort from Day 1 to Day 2 at Nats.

I am too close to it for an unbiased opinion, but credit Toyota, Honda, and Mazda for their longtime support of the sport.  So I am for those supporting manufactures having classing preference vs. manufactures who don't support the sport.  Does Chevy or Ford have a contingency?   Just saying we have a lot of corvette and Ford 4 seater classes.  Market is going rally cars with over 300 hp, will they be buried?

rodhx

--
    19 Sep 2015 10:29 AM
    Posted By Brian on 18 Sep 2015 10:49 PM

Market is going rally cars with over 300 hp, will they be buried?

Really? I can think of exactly one low-volume expensive model on the market today (STi) and one other expensive even lower volume model coming (Focus RS). I can't see how the "market" is going rally cars without several manufacturers offering them in normal volumes.

Priebe17

--
    19 Sep 2015 11:08 AM

Golf R is 292 hp, already accounted for the straight pipe to 300 hp!

There is a whole Rallycross series on primary TV around Fords, Volkswagens, and Subarus, so I believe the manufactures care.  Nevermind the talent it is attracting for drivers and team ownership now. For SCCA the older EVOs or STIs could come out too.  So you could spend all over and be competitive for a class that is where the market is going.  

Low volume is really not an issue to SCCA or the members over the years if it is backed.  VW has had contingency on and off, but it became pointless for current made models, which is the driver of manufacture $$$$.

Brian

rodhx

--
    19 Sep 2015 05:44 PM
    You said the "market is going rally cars". My point is 2-3 low volume models do not indicate the market is going that way, because "the market" is defined as new car production. The rallycross series is fringe specialty stuff. Using that train of thought you could better say the market is going drift cars :) Used cars are not "market" definers, especially two used models that are almost impossible to find in stock form and break more often than anything short of a kart.
    Priebe17

--
    19 Sep 2015 08:00 PM

We can probably agree to disagree on defining markets and I do see your point on number of production cars in the arena.  Drifting in my mind is not going to reach X games status rally cars are currently attaining in the US.  

As for adding on the original thought, how many corvette classes do we need when they don't support the sport?   One sounds good to me and spread different types of sports cars by class, especially if there is manufacture support?  An example would be rally cars.  Could there also be a way improve the split between B, C, and E? 

rodhx

--
    19 Sep 2015 08:26 PM
    X games influence? Perhaps in your arena (no pun intended) but I don't see it discussed anywhere by anybody. Not in print, on forums, and definitely not in person, so it doesn't seem particularly influential to me and clearly it isn't influencing the manufacturers.

Chevy may not "support the sport" but their owners do in greater numbers than the so-called rally cars. Entries pay the bills so, in my opinion, the focus should be there rather than catering to manufacturers. Make it harder for corvettes, Miatas, s2ks, & the twins to find a place to play and our events won't even be able to meet costs. They all show up in great numbers and in multiple classes.
    Priebe17

--
    19 Sep 2015 08:56 PM
    Posted By rodhx on 19 Sep 2015 08:26 PM
    X games influence? Perhaps in your arena (no pun intended) but I don't see it discussed anywhere by anybody. Not in print, on forums, and definitely not in person, so it doesn't seem particularly influential to me and clearly it isn't influencing the manufacturers. 
    The X games influenced the current rallycross series and one of the more major marketing events.  Millions out there to cover the globe, so yes manufactures are involved with development.  Sit in the stands and you will see Ford engineers and VW with two different platforms.  The response ties to not being parallel with drifting, which I agree to disagree on. 
    Chevy may not "support the sport" but their owners do in greater numbers than the so-called rally cars. Entries pay the bills so, in my opinion, the focus should be there rather than catering to manufacturers. Make it harder for corvettes, Miatas, s2ks, & the twins to find a place to play and our events won't even be able to meet costs. They all show up in great numbers and in multiple classes.

Not sure where you are going on this one?

So if one corvette class was gone, solo would be in trouble?  In the late 90s, there was no corvette class, it was RX7s which had their reliability issues.  Don't remember a decline in entries YOY.  Regardless of classing philosophy, Solo entries have generally grown minus economy related concerns.

Never brought up burying miatas, S2ks, or twins, which in street they are not twins...  :)  All those cars you mentioned get manufacture support.  I would rather see more of them be capable of winning in different variations.  

rodhx

--
    20 Sep 2015 06:02 PM
    You brought up the idea of restricting a given vehicle, corvette, to a single class, primarily because the manufacturer does not "support the sport". If you do that to one model it logically suggests you need to do that to all models (unless of course you are making the point that preferential treatment should be given to manufacturers willing to pay for it). I simply responded with why I thought it was a bad idea.

That's enough cluttering up the OP's thread. I look forward to seeing the first x-games rallyx influenced model come to market, but I won't hold my breath ;)

AMCjavelin74

--
    05 Oct 2015 10:20 AM
    Noob to the SCCA thing... buuut it seems that this is more grassroots/passionate hobby racing for the most part, something we do for the love of the sport. That's my two cents on the clutter.

As to the BRZ vs FR-S, since they are mechanical twins, it seems to me so long as it's a factory part (or one over the dealer parts counter/port/dealership) and it fits, it should be legal providing that the part is designed for a sister car or badge engineered vehicle.

---