Last Post 19 Jul 2016 01:18 AM by  falkin42
Hello
 2 Replies
Author Messages
falkin42

--
18 Jul 2016 11:26 AM

Hello.

I don't normally join or post on forums but this seemed like the place I should be a member of. I don't have any racing experience or a car I'm really ready to dedicate just yet but once I pass the Bar exam and I'm able to start making real people money I plan to get a second car and begin a life of tires and oil.

I suppose my first question for y'all is what car I should be looking at getting. I've had almost exclusively front drive cars in my daily driving, so I'd like to learn on a good platform about how to drive more properly. From my research, I've been leaning heavily towards a 2006 330i or 330ci, just because I'd like a car that will be competitive if someday I'm ever able to be. It would be in F Street and then STX when I decide I have enough skills to make the transition. I really like the idea of modding cars so I'm very interested in ST over Street, but I realize I'll be the limiting factor for a while and Street seems the better place to learn. The 335 is turbocharged and goes to STU with mods, and so do the M3s. Obviously there's Japanese options.

Anyway, I should get back to studying because the test is very very very soon. For fun, go google what all is involved in the Texas Bar Exam. Thanks and greetings!

drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Jul 2016 06:28 PM
    Get a 330 with the factory limited slip rear differential (I believe only ZHP's had this, but don't quote me on that, I'm not an E46 expert). That will save you money in the long run since it will both make it a more competitive FS car (where it's already really outgunned from a power perspective) and it's one thing you won't need to spend money on in STX.

An alternative is to find an E36 or E46 that someone has already prepared for STX. You'll potentially save a lot of money that way and people are always looking to get out of older prepped cars but typically have a hard time finding a buyer. Honestly, a prepped ST car is just as good of a driver as a prepped street class car (and in some way better since you can change both sway bars instead of just one, can match the spring and damper tuning together instead of only being able to change dampers, and can properly change the alignment settings through camber plates).
    falkin42

--
    19 Jul 2016 01:18 AM

I appreciate your response. I know it was only available for one year in 2006 but I was thinking the e90 330i would be better because it has 20-30 more hp, weighs only marginally more or about the same depending on options, and I think it'd be hard to find a ZHP for the nothing price I want to pay. I was looking at salvage title auctions because I don't care about the condition as long as mechanically it runs strong. This would be basically only a limited use car. I'll definitely look into a car that's already built too though, because that saves a lot of headache getting everything together and set up properly, and I realize a proper set up is just as important as anything else.

And all of this is wildly premature. Having looked at ZHPs they're far more common than I thought and I'm not even close to ready to pay for them. Gotta get an income before I start looking at cars for sale.

---