Go to previous topic
Go to next topic
Last Post 10 Mar 2017 07:02 AM by  rtp.rick
Old Race Tracks near St. Louis
 4 Replies
Author Messages

21 Jul 2016 04:39 PM

When I was a kid in the early '70s, my dad would take us to a sports car track in the St. Louis area.  My parents were divorced and we didn't live here, so I didn't spend much time in St. Louis.  

I remember that drives would drive their cars to the events.  They just needed three point harnesses, a roll cage and a fire extinguisher.  Many would just slap on a magnetic number.

I remember watching Formula V there.

Does anyone know where a track like that might have been in those days?  I've asked around and hear a little about a track that may now be closed.  I'd be interested in checking it out if there are any signs of it's existence.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

23 Jul 2016 10:25 AM

That would have been Mid America Raceway at Wentzville.  It is now a housing development.

The drag strip (main straight) was between what is now Huntleigh Parkway and Prairie Creek Drive in the google map link. 

google map

28 Feb 2017 09:20 AM
    Too bad it doesn't exist anymore.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

09 Mar 2017 09:31 PM
    I did an HPDE there with the BMW car club of St. Louis in 1976 or 77. I was driving a 1976 Camaro with a 305 and a 3-speed automatic! There were some interesting cars there, including a big block Firebird, a GT350 Mustang, a Porsche 356, a BMW Bavaria, and several Formula cars. After that, I sold the Camaro and bought a BMW 2002.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

10 Mar 2017 07:02 AM
    As most know, the very first SCCA National Solo Championships were run there in 1973.

H's & K's,
    Rick Ruth