Go to next topic
Last Post 03 Aug 2016 05:03 PM by  drdisque
New not sure where to go
 4 Replies
Author Messages
moparbay

--
01 Aug 2016 03:53 PM

Hello, i am new to the forum, i have never Autox and i will never be a professional.  just looking for a affordable class where i might have a chance to not come in last and not look like an idiot.  I believe i would fit into 1 of the CAM classes but just looking for some guidance as to feasibility as i do not want to end up in super serious competitive class with the mods i am about to make to my truck.  Here is what i have going on. 

1968 Dodge D100 standard cab long box - factory engine rebuilt (383) w/ RV cam, aluminum intake, headers, and just recently Throttle body fuel injection.  The truck has solid leaf spring front axle and solid leaf spring rear axle and 4 wheel drum manual drum brakes with manual steering. I have moved the gas tank from in-cab to the rear of frame. I have also added a factory LSD and changed gear ratio.

Here is where it gets tricky. Since i can't (choose not to) afford a decent muscle car or decent Dodge Short box i have decided to do the following: Replace the frame long box frame with a short box frame and in the process replace the solid front axle with a MII IFS system in the front so i can add power steering and some decent front disc brakes so the truck will handle decent. I am also planning on running a ~450HP 440 engine and a overdrive auto transmission.

The truck is a hobby and i will use it primarily on the street.  I would like be able to take it on the Power tour and run it at local/regional events.  I pretty much just want to enjoy it.  I would love to do autox at the beer league level so to speak.

Can somebody point me the right direction so I can at least know which set of rules i should be looking at during the build process or if the mods i am planning will make it a waste of time trying to fit into a autox class and which forum i should be hanging out in..  I do not have a lot of money and am not interested is building a race car.  Sorry for being long winded.

drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Aug 2016 12:02 AM
    CAM is pretty much wide open. The rules sheet is a half page. You can do basically whatever you want as long as you keep it streetable and away from crazy race car stuff.

The CAM classes are currently quite vague regarding where pickups go though. Some would say that as a regular cab, it therefore has 2 seats and goes in CAMS. I argue that since it's old enough and that pickups are explicitly eligible in CAMC, then it goes to CAMT. My interpretation of the rules is that CAMC and CAMT rules are the same, except that CAMT cars must be older.

If you write the SEB for a clarification I'm sure they will get back to you relatively quickly. If this is not clarified by this winter I will write to the SEB. The language in the CAM rules is currently quite vague on the issue.

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_file...1458925210
    moparbay

--
    02 Aug 2016 12:43 AM
    Posted By drdisque on 02 Aug 2016 12:02 AM
    CAM is pretty much wide open. The rules sheet is a half page. You can do basically whatever you want as long as you keep it streetable and away from crazy race car stuff.

The CAM classes are currently quite vague regarding where pickups go though. Some would say that as a regular cab, it therefore has 2 seats and goes in CAMS. I argue that since it's old enough and that pickups are explicitly eligible in CAMC, then it goes to CAMT. My interpretation of the rules is that CAMC and CAMT rules are the same, except that CAMT cars must be older.

If you write the SEB for a clarification I'm sure they will get back to you relatively quickly. If this is not clarified by this winter I will write to the SEB. The language in the CAM rules is currently quite vague on the issue.

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/013/622/2016-3-25_appendix_B_Classic_American_Muscle.pdf?1458925210
    Thank you, i have contacted the SEB and will report back when they respond.

moparbay

--
    03 Aug 2016 11:46 AM
    Ok, it looks like i will fall in the CAMT class.  thanks for the help.
    drdisque
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Aug 2016 05:03 PM
    Thank you - would you mind posting the letter you got from the SEB/National Staff member (you can omit their and your name if you'd like). Did they mention if they'd be clarifying this officially in FastTrack?

---