Go to previous topic
Go to next topic
Last Post 09 Feb 2018 11:06 AM by  Grintch
Full Open - No Windshield Miatas?
 3 Replies
Author Messages

--
07 Dec 2017 11:17 AM

Running local hillclimb events (NC) and after the last one decided to bite the bullet and dropped the windshield on my Miata.

I know there are entire series that run that way.

Couple issues I now have:

1) Recent track day (over 90 - 100 MPH) things get pretty squirrelly with helmet buffeting. I went ahead and fabricated a pretty good poly windshield that I can pop in and out, but curious how the rest of you deal with it?

2) Curious about general aero changes/fixes? Like the helmet the car seemed to suffer increased buffeting too. 

3) ALSO Looking for a simple, waterproof, 3 light tach to mount out far enough that it is actually visible as a heads-up. Just GREEN - YELLOW - RED lights. I know I have seen them, just can't seem to find one.

Thanks

--
    08 Jan 2018 03:00 PM
    I don’t run an open cockpit car, but hopefully I can help.

You can look into adding on wicker/spoiler strips to your helmet. Some can be found at Pegasus racing.

As for the tach, do a search for sequential led shift lights. For an example, there’s one made by cartek.

--
    08 Jan 2018 03:24 PM

THANKS!

I have a polycarbonate windshield being fabricated now.

I'll try to report back on the results.

John

Basic Member

Basic Member

--
    09 Feb 2018 11:06 AM
    Yes, you want a helmet designed for open cockpit cars. It makes a big difference.

You can approximate that with various commercial or DIY add on spoilers, vortex generators, air damns, etc. if you have a new-ish helmet and don't want to have to replace it yet.

Just adding some sort of cut down windscreen can help OR hurt. Kind of like a motorcycle, where the air is going matters, and the best solution likely will vary with speed and driver. The guys running Production Miata's (FP, EP) without the windscreen should be able to give you tips, or even point you at suppliers of proven aero solutions.

---