Go to next topic
Last Post 19 Jun 2016 01:35 AM by  EvanWilson
Where to buy Snell-rated helmet?
 10 Replies
Author Messages
Schlauncha

--
10 Apr 2013 04:11 PM

I was wondering if anyone had some advice on helmets... I'm just racing my factory stock Mini Cooper Coupe JCW so I feel my risks are rather low (compared to something wild or convertible) so I'd be fine with something on the cheap and minimalist side.  I'm looking for a size Medium, open-face helmet, and while I have a great DOT certified one I've used for other stuff, it's not Snell, and none of the helmets I've found on local stores shelves are Snell either.  Looking on eBay it seems like you pretty quickly end up around $120 and up.  I just spent a whole bunch on some nice magnetic numbers for my car, so I'm not looking to drop a few more bills for a helmet if I can help it.

If anyone has a spare one for sale, or can recommend a website selling them at a good price (factoring in shipping too... not exactly small and light objects), I'd definitely appreciate it.

Thanks!

mholzi@aol.com
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Apr 2013 06:40 PM
    I bought my current one for autocross at Rieken Racing in Marion http://www.out2win.com/. And I bought my one for Chumpcar (SA rated) on ebay. The helmet can be a motorcyle helmet with a snell rating. Make sure you get a 2010 rated so you can use it the longest.
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Apr 2013 07:08 PM
    There are not any "inexpensive" open face M2010 helmets made that we can find - the Pyrotect is around $129 and everything else is higher than that.

There are several full face, but they are in the $120 range as well.

{self promo} Longtime autocross sponsor Solo Performance has plenty of selection and offers no charge swap exchanges for size issues www.soloperformance.com{/end self promo}

DaveW

Aaron B
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Apr 2013 07:26 PM
    I formerly had an open face g force, currently I'm using a full face hjc. Neither was over 200 iirc, however, both were M, not SA.

If you think you may ever consider doing any track time on a road course I'd consider an SA. Also, if you ever have the chance to drive open cockpit car you'll need face protection, which is why I bought my full face. Since I normally drive a closed car I use my full face without the shield since I get a little claustrophobic
    Schlauncha

--
    10 Apr 2013 08:03 PM
    Here is a Pyrotect open face helmet that is M2010 for $115 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pyrotect-Ra...06&vxp=mtr

On the other hand, this Zamp JA-2 is SA2010 for $140 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZAMP-JA-2-S...bb&vxp=mtr

I don't know much about helmets, other than that I don't want to worry about borrowing one anymore. I don't know anyone with an open cockpit car, and in fact haven't even ridden in a convertible before, so I don't feel I'd be limiting myself too bad there. I think an open-face SA2010 might be what I want to go with, and that Zamp JA-2 might be a decent choice for that.
    Schlauncha

--
    12 Apr 2013 06:41 AM
    I ended up ordering the matte black Zamp JA-2 helmet, and it looks like I should have it in time for the next races. This should make things much easier at the races, without having to worry about jogging down to the loaner helmet box right after and before each run. Also as a matter of convenience, and style, I've got my magnetic numbers and I just love how they turned out. Sure beats painter's tape! I had them made at Signs By Tomorrow in Cedar Falls. Yeah they're big and gawky, but I like the look of them, it's what I feel race numbers should look like. I made sure they meet the size requirements... I'd be mad if I paid for the set and then found out they were just barely undersize!

mholzi@aol.com
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    12 Apr 2013 09:18 AM
    Very Nice.
    Kylini

--
    12 Apr 2013 01:50 PM
    Now those are some *GREAT* looking numbers!

Out of curiosity, does anyone own a 2XL helmet (Bell, HJC, Zamp, etc.) that they'd be willing to let me quickly toss on my huge noggin? My XL size HJC AR-10 II is pushing its luck and I know Bell and HJC's motorcycle 2XLs are too small.
    Schlauncha

--
    12 Apr 2013 06:17 PM
    Thanks guys. I styled it after my father's racing number he had used a few decades ago, the number he chose after the birthday of his firstborn (me!). So I think it's cool. I drew it up in CAD, so I could make sure and get the right height and a minimum of 1.25" stroke thickness throughout. It almost looks like they printed on white vinyl with an inkjet, and then given a layer of clearcoat and bonded to this rubberized magnet material. If I wasn't trying to copy something, a more graphically complex design would probably come across really nice. Price... well, the three of them came out to $45 each, so they weren't cheap but I feel they were worth it.
    jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Apr 2013 07:30 PM
    The numbers look cool on the Mini, and I love the history behind the number.
    EvanWilson

--
    19 Jun 2016 01:35 AM

I bought my new helmet from an online shop. I was searching google for some amazing helmet review and google suggest me some awesome site. I read all of their articles and reviews, but I'm very much satisfied to read SPAM their article and review. I hope it will also help you to find out yours one.

---