Go to previous topic
Go to next topic
Last Post 19 Dec 2007 01:52 PM by  turbohappy
The thottle is not an on/off switch (video from Grissom solo 10/7/07)
 8 Replies
Author Messages
The Nebulizer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
14 Dec 2007 05:41 PM

This video comes from the Grissom Solo race when it was a bright and blistering 92 degrees - in October! It was so hot and sunny my cheap webcam was actually cooking during runs - most times it overheated before the end and cut out. Luckily I got this video showing my true autocross skills in the new M3 (wait for the second half of the video [:O]). Enjoy my pain....

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=1XSGY83J

Don't ask me why I kept spinning - my eyes were closed and I don't think I had my hands on the wheel anymore. (I edited out all the screaming) As Dusterburg told me, I need to learn that the throttle is not an on/off switch...[:$]

This one was a little better... (Look Shawn is on the internet!)

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=RK0WKIST

Grissom is a great site. BTW feel free to tell me what I am doing wrong. I know I need to really work on my smoothness (stop jerking the steering wheel) and obviously throttle control.

Got any media from any of the events?

mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    14 Dec 2007 06:49 PM
    I'll bring a dozen eggs. You can either put them under the throttle or I can just chuck 'em at you when you press the gas too hard.................................
    Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Dec 2007 08:00 AM
    I have the same probelm (even though I can't see your vids). But it's a little easier when you only have about 120WHP feeding the fronts. . . your 300 at the rear makes it a bit more touchy.
    Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Dec 2007 10:00 AM

All that power.....muwahahahaha!

I did notice a couple of things. One thing is that my vision would take me outside the frame (I wanted to look where there is no video)....so I hope you do the same when you watch video like that. Also, I think you do better than you think you do with the power at hand. Your line needs cleaned up a bit, but that will come with time. [Y]

The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    15 Dec 2007 10:17 AM
    Eclipse2Lancer wrote:

All that power.....muwahahahaha!

I did notice a couple of things. One thing is that my vision would take me outside the frame (I wanted to look where there is no video)....so I hope you do the same when you watch video like that. Also, I think you do better than you think you do with the power at hand. Your line needs cleaned up a bit, but that will come with time. [Y]

Yeah, my lines definitely need work. I need to stop spazzing out so much - and look further ahead (and keep my eyes open). This was my first time with the M3 (and the first time driving a powerful car) - I did get a little better by the worker invitational and cleaned up my lines some thanks to all the runs and H. Hammerly's ride along. I sort of was hoping that the extra 120hp and better suspension over my SC'd 325ci was going to give me instant results. But, nothing is free in autocross. More power means you need more control. The 325Ci in retrospect was simple to drive - would have been great in DS. (BTW the new owner is coming to pick up my 325Ci any minute [:'(] - I love that car. )

Its too bad the camera isn't more of a wide angle, but it is a 10 year old webcam I had lying around (i.e. long before USB) that I just hooked up to a little portable media player. Cost me $5 for a cable I had to hack for power to get it all working. Maybe Santa will bring me a true race cam. I get a lot out of watching video after the events.

mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Dec 2007 10:28 AM

What I noticed from the videos is that you're using a LOT of brake coming to corner entries.

Slow in, fast out is good, but you have to keep the car settled too. Using so much brake that you actually hear tire squeal in a straight line will upset the car through the entire corner. Smooth is the word.

I try to stay off the brakes as much as possible during a run, and only brake in a straight line, and only just enough to set the front for entry into the turn.

Also Jason, you said that you've really not done much as far as setup on the car. A good alignment and experimenting with tire pressures will go a long way in making the car feel more comfortable and predictable. Your M3 is a good piece, but every car needs to be optimized to perform. How they roll off the show room floor isn't the way it needs to be to be fast through the cones.

Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Dec 2007 10:33 AM
    mtownneon wrote:

What I noticed from the videos is that you're using a LOT of brake coming to corner entries.

Slow in, fast out is good, but you have to keep the car settled too. Using so much brake that you actually hear tire squeal in a straight line will upset the car through the entire corner. Smooth is the word.

I try to stay off the brakes as much as possible during a run, and only brake in a straight line, and only just enough to set the front for entry into the turn.

Also Jason, you said that you've really not done much as far as setup on the car. A good alignment and experimenting with tire pressures will go a long way in making the car feel more comfortable and predictable. Your M3 is a good piece, but every car needs to be optimized to perform. How they roll off the show room floor isn't the way it needs to be to be fast through the cones.

Oh Dave....not even a little trailbraking? [:D]

mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Dec 2007 01:54 PM
    [

[quote]Oh Dave....not even a little trailbraking? [:D]

Well............. maybe just a little, once in a while.[;)]

turbohappy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    19 Dec 2007 01:52 PM
    Eclipse2Lancer wrote:

Oh Dave....not even a little trailbraking? [:D]

Haha. Sometimes at Grissom it seems like all my braking is trailbraking!

FWD = enter fast, get on the gas late

RWD = enter slow, get on the gas early

Obviously, this is a very relative statement.

---