Indy Auto Show...
 14 Replies
Author Messages
RonConrad
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
19 Dec 2007 07:10 PM
    Just saw a TV ad for the Indy Auto Show...worth going to? Is the Indy Region manning a booth there?
    Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    19 Dec 2007 08:00 PM

I've been to a couple. Pretty much just manufacturers touting their new wares. Not bad if you want to see what's new. Pretty sure they had a couple of "fun" cars when I was there last (many years ago).....like the Batmobile. hehe

http://www.indyautoshow.com/2008-floorplan.pdf

There is a link for the floor layout.

Edit: we won't have a booth there. But we will have one at the auto swap meet on March 30th I believe.

mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    19 Dec 2007 08:53 PM

RonConrad wrote:
    Just saw a TV ad for the Indy Auto Show...worth going to? Is the Indy Region manning a booth there?

We won't have a booth at the Indy Auto Expo, but we will be having one at the last Super Sunday Swap of the season at the State Fairgrounds March 30th. We did this last year with good results. The wife and I will probably go just to sit in as many new cars as we can and harass the hapless sales folk they get to be staff.

So make plans to be there, hang out, talk shop, cruise the swap for that fuzzy pair of dice you know you want.

Dave

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 Dec 2007 08:12 AM
    All the Acuras you see we put together (a-spec and accessory cars). It's decent. Nothing like Chicago or LA, but there's always a few nice things to see. A few years back Hyundai brought out 3 of thier SEMA show cars. That was pretty cool.
    Eclipse2Lancer
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    20 Dec 2007 09:21 AM

Bobzilla wrote:
    All the Acuras you see we put together (a-spec and accessory cars). It's decent. Nothing like Chicago or LA, but there's always a few nice things to see. A few years back Hyundai brought out 3 of thier SEMA show cars. That was pretty cool.

Bob....you are breaking the rule. The terms "Hyundai" and "cool" don't belong in the same statement. :-D lol

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    20 Dec 2007 02:29 PM

Yeah, but you shoulda seen the 04 Sema cars. They had a VERY nice clean XG

And Will, green is not your color. . . .[;)]

anon

--
    20 Dec 2007 09:52 PM

Ron, the Indy Auto Show is paid for by local dealers, w/support from the manufacture-ers. There are usually a few concept cars on display - usually 1-3 year old ones. The Indy show doens't yet have the panache of the the Detroit, Tokyo, LA, or Paris auto shows.... and never will.... It's primarily a place to go and look at/sit in/pop the hood on all the 2008 model year cars without a pesky salesman up your butt. Plus, there are some booth babes......

It's also a fine lesson on "how easily do the shift and radio knobs come off of this car?" Some miscreants usually swipe those items the first day or so.

Boo hiss to the Mercedes, Porsche, and Bentley dealers. Their rides are usually locked. The Boxter is usually the only one unlocked for your seating pleasure.

And yes, as you've guessed, I love to go every year, sit in every car, test the seat travel, knee room, clutch travel, and heel/toe ease factors.......while yellling "VROOM VROOM, SCREEEEEEEEEEEE, WHHHHAAAAAAA, WHAAAAAAA, WHAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa............" . My wife has refused to go with me for the last few years for some silly-assed reason.

I shudder to think of what the local cuthroats/stealers/bandits car dealers would charge us for booth real estate in the Indy convention center during the event.... While we'd get some visibility, I doubt we'd get any potentials due to A) time lag until the season starts, B) not really a sports-car crowd - mainly family-car tire kickers, and C) my overwhelming, suffocating pessimism.

I think I need another drink. Yep. Bartender!

anon

--
    20 Dec 2007 09:55 PM
    Alright, in my long ramble, I forgot to ask: What day will most folks be going? Sadly, I probably won't make it until Saturday, 12/29 - or maybe Sunday.. I hate to go on a Saturday or Sunday, but this year that looks like the only days open to me.
    mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    21 Dec 2007 08:10 AM

I was looking at one of the last 3 days, the 30th thru the 1st, probably the 30th. Have family commitments on the 29th, and I'm thinking of going to Ft Wayne on the 29th for an indoor midget race(I just can't seem to shake short track racing altogether).

Dave

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Dec 2007 08:35 AM
    Sadly I have to miss it again this year. Working all week and then flying out on the 28th to visit the inlaws. I think I'd rather see the car show.
    RonConrad
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    21 Dec 2007 07:14 PM
    Thanks guys, I have the 28th off, and will probably take my 9 year old daughter with me...she loves to sit in new cars. What time does the show open during the week? It may say on the web.
    Shahab323is

--
    22 Dec 2007 01:02 PM
    I've gone the past two years. It's basically all the dealerships around here displaying their new cars. Make sure you check out the BMW area we have the softest carpet padding!! =]
    RonConrad
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Dec 2007 02:38 PM
    I'll definately check out the BMWs, and the Mini Coopers :)
    MichaelBenz

--
    27 Dec 2007 12:22 PM

Bobzilla wrote:

I like the new Type-S TL models....but no supercharger available for em.[:(]

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Feb 2008 11:07 AM
    Michael Benz wrote:

I like the new Type-S TL models....but no supercharger available for em.[:(]

Speaking of superchargers. I absolutely love the sound of that TL! It reminds me of my previous Integra GSR with a jrsc on it. You have to love having the immediate power at your disposal.

-- thread jack over --

---