DRAGCROSS @ Grissom 10/12/13
 13 Replies
Author Messages
mtownneon
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
06 Oct 2013 03:42 PM

We're doing it one more time for 2013, DRAGCROSS! Take two parts autocross, mix it with one part drag racing to create a truely awesome event! It's happening this Saturday, October 12th at Grissom Aeroplex. Cost is $25 for SCCA members and $35 for non-members. Onsite registration and pre-registration check-in will be open from 7:30am to 9am. Qualifying starts at 10am. You can pre-register at: Dragcross registration

Check out the rules here: The rules!    (if you participated in the last Dragcross, rules have changed!)

For more information, go here: http://www.indyscca.org/

JKleiner

--
    07 Oct 2013 06:57 AM

Any idea about what time things will wrap up? I'd love to come give it a go but have to be on the road heading south by around 4-4:30.

Jeff  

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    07 Oct 2013 04:16 PM
    With snow and rain and sleet we were out about 3:30 last time IIRC and we had a late start.
    Jim Z

--
    07 Oct 2013 04:58 PM
    Are the winners of the individual match-ups decided by PAX time or by raw time?  The rules are silent on this.  If it's done simply by raw time, all of the low-powered cars would have no chance.  Might as well reserve the trophy for Clemens.
    mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Oct 2013 05:00 PM
    Thanks for asking. No, we will not be using PAX for this event. In review of the results of the first event held this spring where PAX was utilized, comparing raw times to PAX times resulted in NO difference in the results of any pairing or overall results. Instead there are no classes, run groups will be determined via qualifying creating as many 16 car eliminators as is needed. Elimination run group 1 will be qualifiers 1-16, run group 2 will be qualifiers 17-32, etc.

We are experimenting with this to find a combination of rules that work best locally.

Cheers,
    Dave
    mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Oct 2013 05:03 PM
    Jeff,

Unfortunately I can't determine when the event will end. It all depends on number of entries, number of "issues" etc. But the last event was completed by 3:30 as Bob said and we had a good number of "issues" that slowed us down. You'll probably be OK.
    mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Oct 2013 08:46 PM
    NOTICE: In the rules it states no 2 driver cars. That is a typo, 2 driver cars ARE allowed. Sorry for the confusion.
    Z3papa
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Oct 2013 01:37 PM
    Posted By mtownneon on 08 Oct 2013 05:00 PM
    Thanks for asking. No, we will not be using PAX for this event. In review of the results of the first event held this spring where PAX was utilized, comparing raw times to PAX times resulted in NO difference in the results of any pairing or overall results. Instead there are no classes, run groups will be determined via qualifying creating as many 16 car eliminators as is needed. Elimination run group 1 will be qualifiers 1-16, run group 2 will be qualifiers 17-32, etc.

We are experimenting with this to find a combination of rules that work best locally.

Cheers,
    Dave
    I'm not from the local region but have run events with Indy.  There is a large contingent of M cars.  Are you really suggesting that using raw times with stock, ST and other classes is really going to work out with this format?  Let me guess, when you get to the last few rounds, it would take a hero in a stock car to be left standing.

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Oct 2013 01:57 PM
    The first event the mod cars didn't win. Hit a cone and the run is null and void. Most of the "heavy hitters" don't come to these events, just us middle of the road players with big dreams.
    Scootin159
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Oct 2013 04:32 PM
    I'm a very-out-of-region person (Central NY region), so don't consider my opinion anything like a 'vote', but I stumbled upon this thread and was reading your rules out of curiosity.

Either way though, I would recommend implementing PAX or some sort of handicapping for an event like this. We did a similar event two years ago in CNY, without PAX (win/loss based on raw times), and while it was a fun event for everyone - it was a ridiculously easy win for me in an FM car with the next closest class represented being SM. Based only on PAX, I had basically a 3.3 second lead on the ~60 second course, which was more than enough time to allow me to underdrive the course to the point that it would be unlikely for any errors, and still have over a 1 second cushion.

An alternative method we used another year to avoid having to calculate PAX on every car that crossed the line is we marked out several different start lines - somewhat like the various tees used in golf. The faster the PAX, the further back you started. This worked well, and allowed the side-by-side finish, but just be warned that it takes a good amount of space. I want to say my starting line was somewhere around the paddock.
    mtownneon
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Oct 2013 04:33 PM
    I am going to ask the competitors at the drivers meeting if they want to run the finale heads up or indexed. The eliminators are determined by actual performance from qualifying so competitors will be running with other competitors of similar performance. Will it get harder as the eliminator fields thin? Yes, but that's the point.

Hitting a cone in eliminations doesn't void the run, it ends your day (automatic loss).
    Clemens
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    10 Oct 2013 05:03 PM
    Posted By Jim Z on 07 Oct 2013 04:58 PM
    Are the winners of the individual match-ups decided by PAX time or by raw time?  The rules are silent on this.  If it's done simply by raw time, all of the low-powered cars would have no chance.  Might as well reserve the trophy for Clemens.

Don't worry Jim.  At this point, I am not planning to attend.  However, I think when cars from different classes run against each other, the times should be adjusted.  While PAX'ed scoring is never fair, it is definitely more fair than straight up competition.

Example:

If Bobzilla in his STF thingy runs a 40.0, I need a 33.0 to beat him if the times are PAX-adjusted.  Without the PAX adjustment, I only need a 39.9, which means I can spin (but, hey, why would I do that?) and still win!

Clemens

t walgamuth
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11 Oct 2013 07:46 AM
    I'd love to try it but My youngest daughter is getting married that day.

Have fun every body!
    Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    11 Oct 2013 04:07 PM
    I like it less complicated, more laid back. But then again I absolutely LOVED the Aussie Pursuit we used to run and never missed one.

---